Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And just to add to that, the hold doesn't prevent Tesla from receiving an online order for an inventory vehicle. So when an inventory MSLR leaves inventory online, the most likely reason is someone placed an order for it but they just can't pick it up until the hold is released. My guess is that these haven't actually been paid for and are still just pending orders if the there's still an EPA change coming that requires acceptance to continue with the order.
Yeah exactly my point, it was never 'immediately available for pickup'.

The Model S Long Range has been pushed back to earliest 2/28
Wow. There are so many '24 MSLR's in US inventory right now. I've demo driven one, and it's seemingly unchanged and drives the same as 2023 apart from the horn. Since MSP's are already released I can only assume there is a heck of an arm wrestling match going on over MSLR range.

Wow. There are so many '24 MSLR's in US inventory right now. I've demo driven one, and it's seemingly unchanged and drives the same as 2023 apart from the horn. Since MSP's are already released I can only assume there is a heck of an arm wrestling match going on over MSLR range.
If the range drops too much, I will cancel. The only reason I wanted the LR was range. On the other hand if the new EPA number just more accurately represents real world range, I'm OK with that. I guessing real world is around 300 miles? (75MPH, 3 adults plus luggage, headwind, AC running, etc.)

Reactions: DBV1
If the range drops too much, I will cancel. The only reason I wanted the LR was range. On the other hand if the new EPA number just more accurately represents real world range, I'm OK with that. I guessing real world is around 300 miles? (75MPH, 3 adults plus luggage, headwind, AC running, etc.)

My real world range on my MXP was 300 when driving on long trips, so it has to be more than that.

Remember that most of the changes usually literally only matter to the EPA - the battery and drivetrain have likely not been touched. It'll get the same real-world range as it always has (or maybe a little better with new tires), the only change is the estimate

Remember that most of the changes usually literally only matter to the EPA - the battery and drivetrain have likely not been touched. It'll get the same real-world range as it always has (or maybe a little better with new tires), the only change is the estimate

Unless we decide to believe Tesla when they said that the EPA testing changes aren't the only reason the range was reduced and that they made "comfort and functionality" changes that actually use more battery. If it wasn't true, why would they confess to something that would be to their detriment?

Unless we decide to believe Tesla when they said that the EPA testing changes aren't the only reason the range was reduced and that they made "comfort and functionality" changes that actually use more battery. If it wasn't true, why would they confess to something that would be to their detriment?
because saying out loud "the estimate literally does not matter and the car only gets 350 miles per charge in the real world" would sound even worse. these changes to the cycle by the EPA move the estimate closer to reality, but it also makes it so Tesla can no longer claim they sell a 400 mile vehicle

Reactions: Yelobird
But did Tesla say that about the Model S LR? I thought the changes were only mentioned in reference to the Plaid. (Where a SB actually mentions that the update to the Plaids to eliminate/reduce the vibration will also reduce the range by a couple miles.)

Last edited:
It's all a facade, brother. The car is the same. The only actual arm wrestling is over the number displayed on the page. Everyone knows that Tesla's EPA ranges were alway significantly larger that real world range. Every Tesla model has been this way. The only question at play here is how close to reality the number will now be.

Reactions: AMPd and calm-one
because saying out loud "the estimate literally does not matter and the car only gets 350 miles per charge in the real world" would sound even worse. these changes to the cycle by the EPA move the estimate closer to reality, but it also makes it so Tesla can no longer claim they sell a 400 mile vehicle

That literally makes no sense. You're basically saying the EPA didn't gimp the rating enough so Tesla is adding some of their own reductions that aren't actually real.

That literally makes no sense. You're basically saying the EPA didn't gimp the rating enough so Tesla is adding some of their own reductions that aren't actually real.
I'm saying that they're claming changes to the car so it doesn't read like the car was never capable of the range estimate to begin with and that the EPA is correcting whatever loopholes Tesla was using to boost their range in the test - which is exactly what they do, and have always done. Tesla regularly has the largest mismatch between EPA and real world range compared to other manufacturers

Nope. They did not say it only applied to the Plaid.
Well it can't really apply to the LR, when the LR isn't seeing a decrease in rated range. Or do you mean the SB? Where the SB specifically said it only applied to Plaids.

1707857115645.png

Reactions: Yelobird
Well it can't really apply to the LR, when the LR isn't seeing a decrease in rated range. Or do you mean the SB? Where the SB specifically said it only applied to Plaids.

View attachment 1018008
This document and related software change is not relevant to the range discussion. The paper literally says 2 miles or less. The Plaid EPA range estimate change about 40 miles on the 19's.

As an aside, I recall Out Of Spec's 70 mph highway range test returning about 367 miles on the factory 19 inch wheels.

This document and related software change is not relevant to the range discussion. The paper literally says 2 miles or less. The Plaid EPA range estimate change about 40 miles on the 19's.

As an aside, I recall Out Of Spec's 70 mph highway range test returning about 367 miles on the factory 19 inch wheels.
Sounds right. I barely managed 300 miles on my plaid with 21" wheels. 265 was a realistic trip without too much stress.

But Tesla never said how much their "comfort and functionality" improvements decreased range just that it was a factor. It could very well be the EPA's change accounts for 35 miles and Tesla's vibration change is the other 2 miles making 2 miles the REAL range reduction...which I can live with.