Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brought my Tesla (85D) home today from Dedham MA (Up to Vermont) I ordered it on 11/4, so a relatively long wait, but shorter than some. It's a fantastic car, definitely has already forever changed what I expect a car to be. Anyway - here's a bad photo, but a photo nonetheless.
IMG_1744.jpg

Anyone think it would be faster to cancel my order and start over? This has been pretty silly experience with Tesla.

Ordered - 30 October (selected February delivery as per Tesla salesman's suggestions to get a 2016 which turned out to be a big error).
VIN - 11 December

Now "My Tesla" is saying MARCH delivery!

The build it now screen has my exact car stated as a late February delivery, which is before my order that has already been in for two months. wtf. The sales guy obviously didn't know what he was doing when he told me to select February as 2016 VIN's are being delivered now. He also told me I could change my delivery month to January whenever I wanted which is not true.

One order in California : Ordered 12/3 and has the car already. And a few more out there like that.
A delayed order is like a non-order. If you couldn't take it in Q4, you stand the chances of being de-prioritized while they do a bunch of Model X builds in January.
Given that people got 2016 Vins "just for the asking" in December 2015 means that Vin #s are not really as strict as they used to be. The highest Vin #s have the most value, of course, so if you don't mind waiting for winter to end and for roads to clear of grime, March isn't too bad and you get a very high Vin # and who knows, maybe new equipment if some are introduced. I'm sure you'll see it before 3/31/16.

One order in California : Ordered 12/3 and has the car already. And a few more out there like that.
A delayed order is like a non-order. If you couldn't take it in Q4, you stand the chances of being de-prioritized while they do a bunch of Model X builds in January.
Given that people got 2016 Vins "just for the asking" in December 2015 means that Vin #s are not really as strict as they used to be. The highest Vin #s have the most value, of course, so if you don't mind waiting for winter to end and for roads to clear of grime, March isn't too bad and you get a very high Vin # and who knows, maybe new equipment if some are introduced. I'm sure you'll see it before 3/31/16.

Hah thanks for the reply. Sounds like I am screwed with another 2-3 month wait. :)

Taking delivery of my 85D tomorrow. Made the decision today to add Opticoat+ and XPEL(front only) to the car. This means I get to keep the car for an entire hour before dropping her off for the paint protection. I hate having a new toy but not being able to play with her. At least I get her back the next day, of course this means two round trips from ME to MA.

Taking delivery of my 85D tomorrow. Made the decision today to add Opticoat+ and XPEL(front only) to the car. This means I get to keep the car for an entire hour before dropping her off for the paint protection. I hate having a new toy but not being able to play with her. At least I get her back the next day, of course this means two round trips from ME to MA.

Really only one day? Wow that is fast. Shops around here want one day for paint correction and then one or more days for Xpel installation depending on the amount of coverage.

But I hear you... I am greatly torn about leaving my brand new car off for a few days. I guess I can easily go over there and sit inside the car and fiddle around and generally make a pain in the arse of myself. :smile:

I am going to have the entire hood, front, front fenders, headlights, pillars, mirrors and side rockers wrapped. I am toying with also doing all four doors. I am also giving consideration to having the front windshield wrapped but I am not so sure about that yet.

I have paid special attention to used model S's which come into the the local SC as CPO turn ins. The frunk hood, front nosecone, front bumper, front pillars alongside the front window, both side mirrors, lower rocker panels especially behind the front wheels and the area that bulges out in front of the rear wheel wells seem to take the most beating. These are the areas that get the rash and chips from what I have seen.

Last edited:
I'm getting opticoat as well tomorrow. Who are you going with? I saw a lot of good reviews on SeaJay's in Billerica and decided to go with them.

Really only one day? Wow that is fast. Shops around here want one day for paint correction and then one or more days for Xpel installation depending on the amount of coverage.

The one day turn around was mostly guaranteed. Since I'm bringing it directly from the SC and am having the SC bypass some of their normal prep it actually saves them some time with paint work. I'll know for sure when the car is inspected at drop off.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm getting opticoat as well tomorrow. Who are you going with? I saw a lot of good reviews on SeaJay's in Billerica and decided to go with them.

I admit I was not able to do much research other than discovering no one near me in ME seems like a good bet. I ended up going with QCarCare in Burlington. A couple of friends from my days living in MA have used them with positive results.

Mine's 118,xxx and I saw a delivery in the 120s

As of this AM we are at 123,866 from the Jan-Mar 2016 tracking spreadsheet.
The VIN number progression has be constant and orderly.
Our tracking spreadsheets tell the tale of only a very very small percentage of the orders.
The JAN-MAR tracking sheet shows a really strong bias towards European and Asian orders.