Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a confirmed order for several weeks with no delivery date. The delivery date appeared on my MyTesla page immediately as soon as the new facelifted model was publicized.I wonder if there is a connection, or if this was a coincidence.

BTW, I didn't get an email about it.

I ordered my 90D with most bells and whistles in Feb but requested delivery on April 16. On track, picking it up this Saturday... I was super-excited, but then saw the news of the design update. And it seems I missed the window on the new design changes. Argh! So unfortunate. First the new 19" wheels, then this. I am still super excited... but there is a fly in my ointment :(

Reactions: gsxdsm and Boatguy
I ordered my 90D with most bells and whistles in Feb but requested delivery on April 16. On track, picking it up this Saturday... I was super-excited, but then saw the news of the design update. And it seems I missed the window on the new design changes. Argh! So unfortunate. First the new 19" wheels, then this. I am still super excited... but there is a fly in my ointment :(
There is a dark side to the "no model years" and "constant improvement ". Tesla doesn't know how to manage product transitions, so they just blunder forward, leaving a trail of dissatisfied customers behind. It's not a sustainable business practice. Taking delivery of an ""old" Model S is very upsetting.

There is a dark side to the "no model years" and "constant improvement ". Tesla doesn't know how to manage product transitions, so they just blunder forward, leaving a trail of dissatisfied customers behind. It's not a sustainable business practice. Taking delivery of an ""old" Model S is very upsetting.

There is not a care out there that I know of that is going to "update you". Depending on your ability to wait, I suppose one could cancel the order and turn around and re-order. However, doing that would likely cost you some money. Question is, can you wait, and are you willing to suffer the loss however much that might be?

There is not a care out there that I know of that is going to "update you". Depending on your ability to wait, I suppose one could cancel the order and turn around and re-order. However, doing that would likely cost you some money. Question is, can you wait, and are you willing to suffer the loss however much that might be?
The more relevant question is, if I had been informed at the time of my purchase, would I have waited. And yes I would have.

It's easy to sell products by deceiving the buyer. Honest business is built upon an informed consumer, not a deceived consumer.

From Wikipedia: "In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain".

Last edited:
Reactions: SCDrJ and markn455
When placing an order, you see a picture of the car, the colors, the options and price. The commitment at order-time is "I want this". It is like placing a ring on a woman and then meeting the woman of your dreams on the drive home from the proposal. What do you do?

An ironic tidbit. I am taking a Coursera online course on Negotiations right now and as I typed the above, the teacher got to the page "What is Fair". Such is synchronicity.

Indeed. I called. Got "You will get exactly what you ordered". Which is fair. But disappointing nonetheless. I don't think they are deliberately withholding information... as someone said, they've "blundered forward". But someone should have known 2-3 weeks ago when my car was entering production. It would have been good to know then. Oh well.

When placing an order, you see a picture of the car, the colors, the options and price. The commitment at order-time is "I want this". It is like placing a ring on a woman and then meeting the woman of your dreams on the drive home from the proposal. What do you do?

An ironic tidbit. I am taking a Coursera online course on Negotiations right now and as I typed the above, the teacher got to the page "What is Fair". Such is synchronicity.

VIN added to My Tesla account last night. Also, had requested (and was told this was possible) a May 7 delivery date. Now My Tesla page shows "Your estimated delivery window is June - Early July". Should have known May 7th was a pipe dream. Time to be patient. :)

S70D
Ordered 4/6/16, requested 5/7/16 delivery
Email rec'd from Tesla that I'll get the updates with my build - 4/12/16
Confirmed updates with my DS (new front-end design, new headlights, Bioweapons Defense Mode, etc) - 4/13/16
Order confirmed by Tesla corporate - 4/13/16
Waiting begins - 4/14/16

Worst case loss of $2,500 deposit and likely $1,500 price jump with new price book for same options... The new price of car is not negotiable, but the deposit issue? Different story. They can do whatever they like there.

The "that's what you ordered" and "had I known, I would have acted differently" stances both have merit. Tesla has the right to do what they have with updates whether you like it or not, and you have every right not to complete the transaction per your contract whether they like it or not, albeit at the expense of your deposit.

Whatever you choose, don't be forced into something that makes you uncomfortable. This "unannounced update" tactic is how Tesla did the Autopilot too, and they know they will have some peeved newly-minted owners of now "old" cars. You have all the power until you sign for that car. My guess is they will work with you if you are nice about it and are still interested in owning a Model S!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Btrflyl8e
Worst case loss of $2,500 deposit and likely $1,500 price jump with new price book for same options... The new price of car is not negotiable, but the deposit issue? Different story. They can do whatever they like there.

The "that's what you ordered" and "had I known, I would have acted differently" stances both have merit. Tesla has the right to do what they have with updates whether you like it or not, and you have every right not to complete the transaction per your contract whether they like it or not, albeit at the expense of your deposit.

Whatever you choose, don't be forced into something that makes you uncomfortable. This "unannounced update" tactic is how Tesla did the Autopilot too, and they know they will have some peeved newly-minted owners of now "old" cars. You have all the power until you sign for that car. My guess is they will work with you if you are nice about it and are still interested in owning a Model S!

Good luck!
Our contract law is built on the foundation of a shared knowledge base between the two people entering into a contract. The law is very clear that withholding material information from someone to induce them to enter into a contract is fraud.

For example if you sell a car that you know has a bent frame because it's been in an accident, but the buyer doesn't ask, and you don't tell, it's still fraud. Or if you know there is a defect in the ignition switch (GM) or gas tank (Ford), or engine management software (VW), etc. Tesla knew they were making these changes when they signed contracts with probably 500-1,000 buyers. Model S doesn't have enough buyers to trigger a class action suit, but when they get to Model 3, they'll need to grow up and start acting responsible; the free ride will be over. In the meantime they are creating a growing number of customers who feel at least slightly wronged by Tesla and will remember that when time comes to purchase the next car. It doesn't matter how nice the car I bought for $100,000 actually is, or how much I enjoy it, it only matters how I feel about the company throughout my ownership experience.

I totally understand Boatguy's point of view. I would have been a bit perturbed as well.
I waded through all the rumors and waited for an announcement of any change as long as I could. I thought, "hey there will always be changes! Make the plunge! You're not getting any younger!"
Deciding I could not wait any longer, I pulled the trigger... and hedged my bet with a slight delay in my delivery date.
Well, it worked out for me - getting the refresh... but I consider myself lucky. And Tesla even moved up my delivery date a month when I asked.

I do not fool myself into thinking that other new "refreshes" are not going to come. I hope they do! (and obviously, they are planning to make changes in the future) I want Tesla to continue to be leading edge. Do I want those changes to come next week? Next month? Next year? I would feel like Boatguy, if it was only a week or even a month. But I would still enjoy the MS like crazy!

Our contract law is built on the foundation of a shared knowledge base between the two people entering into a contract. The law is very clear that withholding material information from someone to induce them to enter into a contract is fraud.

For example if you sell a car that you know has a bent frame because it's been in an accident, but the buyer doesn't ask, and you don't tell, it's still fraud. Or if you know there is a defect in the ignition switch (GM) or gas tank (Ford), or engine management software (VW), etc. Tesla knew they were making these changes when they signed contracts with probably 500-1,000 buyers. Model S doesn't have enough buyers to trigger a class action suit, but when they get to Model 3, they'll need to grow up and start acting responsible; the free ride will be over. In the meantime they are creating a growing number of customers who feel at least slightly wronged by Tesla and will remember that when time comes to purchase the next car. It doesn't matter how nice the car I bought for $100,000 actually is, or how much I enjoy it, it only matters how I feel about the company throughout my ownership experience.

I agree with you. If I were taking delivery of an old design MS this weekend I personally would say "no thank you" and attempt to convert my money down to a new order, and even if they would not budge I would eat the $ as the instant depreciation on the "classic" would certainly be at least that amount.

Tesla has abdicated the model year concept in favor of a constant improvement approach. I get that to an extent, but why do things like slide in the slipstream wheels and center console right before the refresh. Maybe consolidate updates a little? With a little bit of predictability? Wouldn't it have been a better goodwill gesture to announce the changes, make it so any car delivered after had the changes, and sell existing inventory at a slight discount to get more people off the fence?

This is a work in progress for sure.

I placed an order end March.
I paid the GBP 2,000 on April 2nd.
Order was confirmed on April 15th.
Within hours, I received the VIN number :eek:

Now waiting for production.

On Speakev forum, they said that P models generally get a quicker build than non-P. But that statement was from some time ago, I don't know whether that's still the case today.

Of course, I'll also have the long West-East coast transit + crossing the Atlantic + crossing the English Channel...

Initially, when I placed the order and then confirmed, I was told late June delivery. Now I have the VIN, the potential delivery date has gone, and so no real idea. I guess it might come back once they've scheduled production of the car?

90D Order placed 4/9 (knew the refresh was coming, so placed order just in case)
Confirmed 4/16
VIN Assigned 4/17 139xxx
Delivery Date late May-Early June

My wife and I compromised on a lot of things to afford this car. Plain standard white, AP, and Premium Interior only. Still comes out to to 93,500 even under old pricing +Doc. My wife didn't want the premium interior but I demanded the lift gate LOL, now she's happy with the changes because she's a Howard Hughes'ish clean freak and she's looking forward to the new HEPPA filter LOL. We choose the body color roof because my wife and kids are all fair skinned and the hot Vegas sun pounding through any window is rather uncomfortable given enough time.

I agree with you. Most consumers purchase vehicles based on the traditional model year for the features/benefits/safety/tech etc. Tesla operates completely different than the traditional auto mfc in their own store fronts, direct employees, service/repair and hardware/software production line updates without any warning. Moving forward they need to consider how to inform the consumer in a fair manner that will keep the company sustainable yet being somewhat transparent on a refresh such as the one recently announced. I recently purchased a Model S 70D and was delivered in late March. Had I been informed of the refresh no question I would have waited. I'm finding lots of family, friends and strangers ask me about my ownership experience. My reply is overall good but be careful Tesla is still relatively a new company, completely different than your traditional auto mfc and they constantly update their autos without much warning. No doubt Tesla is a cutting edge company with their business model and most differently having an influence on the other auto mfc. This is good overall but lets not forget they are in business not to just "save the planet" they are a business to make a profit otherwise we would have been informed weeks or months ahead of the refresh especially near the end of their business quarter! Lets not forget it was the Model S and X customers that help Tesla get to the point to launch the Model 3!!