Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Proof that the exact timing of orders is mysterious: Chris P and Jumper ordered 13 days apart, and production started the same day. Both are going to Illinois, so there should be no "build cars that take longer to deliver" effect on these two.

I'm two days earlier than Jumper, and my DS says production should start tomorrow.

Proof that the exact timing of orders is mysterious: Chris P and Jumper ordered 13 days apart, and production started the same day. Both are going to Illinois, so there should be no "build cars that take longer to deliver" effect on these two.

I'm two days earlier than Jumper, and my DS says production should start tomorrow.

They group cars with similar features. I know they batch by color, but I think they also batch by battery size and some other features like pano or body colored roof. They also group by destination.

If your car is one of the rarer colors or configurations, it may be delayed longer than a more common configuration. I'm seeing VINs later than mine predicted production around the same time as mine, or a little earlier. My car is pearl white with body color roof, and cloth seats, so it's a rare configuration.

Just logged onto Mytesla and noticed that my production timeframe has now slipped to June-Early July!

Was at Late May - June.

This jives with my DS telling me that my car won't go into production until the latter part of May. VIN 141xxx. I'm assuming I'll take delivery in the mid-June timeframe.

For those in Southern California, how long after entering production was your Model S delivered to your service center? I'm supposed to pick mine up from Costa Mesa, CA... still haven't entered production yet, but curious on the timeline.

I'm also picking up in Costa Mesa, high five! My DS has said that factory pickup vs. SoCal delivery won't make a difference in date.

So far randall_s is still the only post-refresh order (4/12) that has entered production. randall_s - can you confirm your order date? Was it 4/13?

Any other orders from 4/12 or after that have entered production yet?

They group cars with similar features. I know they batch by color, but I think they also batch by battery size and some other features like pano or body colored roof. They also group by destination.

That makes sense... but the two cars don't have that much in common:

Chris P ordered a 70, white, black next-gen seats, piano black interior

Jumper ordered a 90D, deep blue metallic, tan next-gen seats, matt obeche interior, jump seats

Both ordered pano, premium, autopilot, and the subzero package. 90+% of people order pano, premium, and autopilot, so they aren't good discriminators. Subzero could be -- I assume several extra wiring harnesses are involved. And they are both from Illinois.

In any case, trying to predict the timing seems difficult.

I suspect there are factors in how cars are grouped we haven't thought of.

I could see some features wouldn't make a big difference. Some are the same hardware and things are just enabled by software like the 48 or 72 A charger and AP. I would think the colors interior and exterior would want to be grouped. We also don't know for sure if two cars started down the line on the same day. Tesla isn't good at updating customers, some people get updates on the site at every step and other people see things hang in one step for a while then leap forward. This may be due to some human updating status and some are better at it than others.

They have a lot of space in the plant, they could assemble a number of chassis in white, paint a batch of them a given color, then set some aside because they are going to get batched with some other feature set, and others go on the line right away. With a multi-day process, there are many variable ways of doing things that we can't figure out with the dribs and drabs of data we get.

I suspect there are factors in how cars are grouped we haven't thought of.

I could see some features wouldn't make a big difference. Some are the same hardware and things are just enabled by software like the 48 or 72 A charger and AP. I would think the colors interior and exterior would want to be grouped. We also don't know for sure if two cars started down the line on the same day. Tesla isn't good at updating customers, some people get updates on the site at every step and other people see things hang in one step for a while then leap forward. This may be due to some human updating status and some are better at it than others.

They have a lot of space in the plant, they could assemble a number of chassis in white, paint a batch of them a given color, then set some aside because they are going to get batched with some other feature set, and others go on the line right away. With a multi-day process, there are many variable ways of doing things that we can't figure out with the dribs and drabs of data we get.

Absolutely agree.

Here is the link to update your status: Model S Order & Delivery

Latest Update:
Ordered: 3/29
Confirmed: 4/6
VIN: 4/6
Production Started: 5/4
Production End: 5/9

My Tesla page says "Your Tesla has been built and is in transit from the factory." My DS told me that while it is built and on a train, the train is not moving :( It is waiting on the rest of the train cars to fill up. My DS said that it could take up to 30 days for delivery, but typically 3 weeks. My Tesla page says delivery window is between May 19th and June 2nd. I'm hoping for earlier rather than later :)