Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am from Vancouver Canada - I have thought about flying down to Fremont but there are reports that one has to pay California tax on the car. Does anyone know what would happen if I paid for my car up here and bought my plates with me. Technically the car would already be mine and there should not be any tax payable or collectable. I would have paid all of the required taxes in my own jurisdiction, and it would already be a British Columbia car. It would be a fun and interesting trip. I am 1409XX and still waiting like most on here it seems.

Talked to my DS on Friday to make a few changes (Midnight Silver, here we come!).

VIN 141xxx, for delivery to Houston, TX. S70.

Scheduled to go into production the week of June 5th, scheduled delivery June 20th. My DS says no later than June 30th delivery.

An interesting side note is that they were toying around with sending my car via rail. Given the experience others have had, I politely asked that it be shipped on a truck. She said that it most likely will be via truck, but the people taking delivery after my VIN in this region would probably be via rail.

I am from Vancouver Canada - I have thought about flying down to Fremont but there are reports that one has to pay California tax on the car. Does anyone know what would happen if I paid for my car up here and bought my plates with me. Technically the car would already be mine and there should not be any tax payable or collectable. I would have paid all of the required taxes in my own jurisdiction, and it would already be a British Columbia car. It would be a fun and interesting trip. I am 1409XX and still waiting like most on here it seems.

There is a bill in front of the California legislature that is called the Tesla Tourism Bill that would allow people form outside California to pick up cars at the factory without paying sales tax. It hasn't passed yet, but it probably will be possible eventually.

Talked to my DS on Friday to make a few changes (Midnight Silver, here we come!).

Scheduled to go into production the week of June 5th, scheduled delivery June 20th. My DS says no later than June 30th delivery.

An interesting side note is that they were toying around with sending my car via rail. Given the experience others have had, I politely asked that it be shipped on a truck. She said that it most likely will be via truck, but the people taking delivery after my VIN in this region would probably be via rail.

Does Tesla charge anything extra to make changes?

My car was very late, so I requested truck. My DS said it was highly likely to be transported by truck but nothing is 100% guaranteed. Production took 4 days. Transit was by rail (very disappointing). It took 22 days.

My Tesla is now in production according to my 'My Tesla' page. Not even sure when it changed as I never received an email and I've only been looking for changes in the estimated delivery date (since so many were being delayed), not the status of the car. My DS told me on Tuesday that it wasn't slated for production until the 23rd of May, so that means it has entered production two days earlier than estimated.

Model S 70D
Order: 4/21
Confirm: 4/28
Vin: 4/29 - 1418XX
Delivery: Northern Virginia

BigAl, who ordered almost the same day, nearly the same car, and is taking delivery at the same place as I had his delayed. There really seems to be no method to the madness!

That's right.. I'm still scheduled for a late June - July delivery :(

I am from Ohio (apparently one of Canada's southernmost Provinces based on ON license plates) and I had planned to try this to shave some weeks off my wait time. My DS said essentially the same thing: "you will end up having to pay steep CA taxes plus Ohio taxes". Told me I could visit the factory anytime as an owner. That may not help much. Perhaps being Canadian negates all that. Exchange rate and metric/imperial conversion always gets in the way too! ;-)

My delivery is also in Atlanta. My DS tells me it should go into production this week...confirmed 5/2...did you get ongoing info with good dates from your DS? He told me 20 days transit, including train time. Seems slow as molases!
Mine is almost at Chicago. Train time was about 2.5 weeks. The DS said it is because the train stops at various locations along the way, and has to rearrange the train cars. That takes a couple days for each stop. That's why it takes so long.