Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slightly clearer pictures.
DSC_0501 (1).jpg
DSC_0517 (1).jpg
DSC_0510 (1).jpg

Very nice and glad your delivery went well. See you are sporting the grin! You know there really isn't a MS color that doesn't look great. I will concur with you on the doors. Several times in the hours we had our car around us (in for PFF) we had to open and reclose the doors. Love the T-shirt BTW. :)

I can’t wipe off that grin, and even now I’m contemplating a late night run somewhere. Anywhere! I’m glad you like my T-shirt. So did my DS!

Thanks for your very nice comments.

Totally agree about the doors. My bmw had heavy doors since it was a two door hardtop convertible, so I was used to closing it firmly. Even so, I've had to re-close the door a few times with the tesla. I had two days of bliss and am now driving our "mountain" SUV (3rd vehicle we keep to go to our cabin in Big Bear with our pups). Not quite the same experience. I ended up adding CQuartz ceramic coating to my list of customizations. I figured, if I'm going to do it, do it right and take the hit to my wallet in one fell swoop. I will post side by side, before and after pics to the forum to show off my blackout package, 3M crystalline tint, Xpel wrap and CQuartz.

Totally agree about the doors. My bmw had heavy doors since it was a two door hardtop convertible, so I was used to closing it firmly. Even so, I've had to re-close the door a few times with the tesla. I had two days of bliss and am now driving our "mountain" SUV (3rd vehicle we keep to go to our cabin in Big Bear with our pups). Not quite the same experience. I ended up adding CQuartz ceramic coating to my list of customizations. I figured, if I'm going to do it, do it right and take the hit to my wallet in one fell swoop. I will post side by side, before and after pics to the forum to show off my blackout package, 3M crystalline tint, Xpel wrap and CQuartz.

Hello LED FT; What is the purpose of the ceramic coating over and above Xpel wrap? I am going to do some blackout on my S as well and want to understand the protective wrap/coating options before I do anything. Thanks in advance for educating me on this.

If I had one note to make, less than a day in to owning this wonderful vehicle, you need to SLAM the doors on this car. This is my first American make car and I’m unaccustomed to handling a car with some degree of forcefulness. All the Hondas I’ve ever owned would require just a light push of the door and it would thump shut with a definitive and satisfying “click.” Like a precision-crafted jewel box.
Not this Tesla. That kind of gentle treatment results in the door partially ajar, followed by a reopening and a forceful re-closing.

Happy Tesla Motoring, Everybody!

I completely agree with you about having to slam the door.. We kept trying to be nice when closing the door and it just doesn't work that way!

Anyhow, congratulations!!!

P.S. Sweden has been awesome, 15 Teslas and counting in the past 4 days.. even some MX..

Reactions: avesraggiana
....sorry sent accidentally

VIN: March 11
Production Start: March 17
Complete: March 18
Delivery Date: March 30th

I will be out of town so I confirmed a Monday, April 3 pickup in Dania Beach Florida. I will share my experience with the handoff. Needless to say, I am extremely excited to join the group of Tesla owners and the Tesla Motor Club forum. Thanks..

Interesting to note that the My Tesla page still indicates that my car is in production but I received email saying it was done and I have a pickup scheduled for April 3rd.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Hello LED FT; What is the purpose of the ceramic coating over and above Xpel wrap? I am going to do some blackout on my S as well and want to understand the protective wrap/coating options before I do anything. Thanks in advance for educating me on this.
The xpel wrap provides paint protection with a thin clear film. I had it put on my front end, front hood, rockers and doors to protect from chips, scratches, etc. The ceramic coating will go over the entire car and make it virtually impossible to see the difference between the areas that are wrapped and those that are not. It also protects from uneven fading from the sun since the wrapped areas won't fade at the same rate as the unwrapped areas. Lastly, the brilliance and shine of the ceramic coat makes it worth it to me.

The xpel wrap provides paint protection with a thin clear film. I had it put on my front end, front hood, rockers and doors to protect from chips, scratches, etc. The ceramic coating will go over the entire car and make it virtually impossible to see the difference between the areas that are wrapped and those that are not. It also protects from uneven fading from the sun since the wrapped areas won't fade at the same rate as the unwrapped areas. Lastly, the brilliance and shine of the ceramic coat makes it worth it to me.
Thank you LED FT for the reply. Makes sense. How much does that run you for a model S if you don't mind me asking. I am on the other coast but Miami should be close to SD in $ I would think.

Thank you LED FT for the reply. Makes sense. How much does that run you for a model S if you don't mind me asking. I am on the other coast but Miami should be close to SD in $ I would think.

LED FT’s numbers are about right. I did only a partial wrap with XPEL - front bumper, full bonnet, headlights, front fenders, door handles and a few other areas. NOT total wrap. But, I had all windows tinted with a very light tint that blocks infrared heat by 70%. Then I selected the “Gold” package, with gives your car up to five layers of Ceramic Pro, for additional protection and an even higher gloss than the original factory paint job. Total cost - $3475.00.

Finally, the auto shop called me today confirming that I wasn’t completely crazy. A few hours after bringing home my brand new baby, I had spotted the smallest of door dings on the right rear passenger door, right below the crease line. So, so small that one would have to know where and how to look to spot it. The shop offered to have the repair shopped to various quick-n-easy door ding repair outfits. I declined, saying that the door ding was so small it wasn’t worth it to me to incur the added expense of beating or popping out a door ding in an aluminium panel, an expensive proposition at best. I’ve given leave for the auto detailers to, as it were, gloss over the offending area and leave it be.

Tesla Service has still to install the bling-blingy metal foot pedal covers that I ordered from the shop. Perhaps when I bring my car in for that installation, as well as for adjusting an ever so slightly misaligned steering wheel, I may just point that door ding out to Tesla and see if they would be willing to repair it at no cost to me. I suspect my car caught that door ding during transport, but I have no way of proving that, of course.

Just wanted to circle back to report that our Fremont factory pickup went as well as could be. For anyone in the Bay area who is hesitant whether to do a factory pickup vs. store pickup, the factory pickup was pretty worthwhile for me!

We didn't schedule a factory tour in advance, but was able to join one after signing our paperwork (- took 5-10 minutes). The factory tour was AWESOME!!! We had a very entertaining guide, Kim, who drove us around the factory in a tram. I totally felt like I was Charlie touring the chocolate factory - everything was utterly fascinating and totally unimaginable to me. After the tour, I told my partner "I think I just went to the Future!" What was better was that, we're picking up our car that is built for the future!!! Can it get cooler than that?!

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 11.37.43 PM.png

Our car was parked in a giant white tent with tons of other new Teslas awaiting delivery. The tent wasn't fancy at all, and there was certainly no big bow or champagne, but at least they had some jazz music playing to simulate the atmosphere of a cocktail party, and there was a high table with a bag of swags (a pin, an umbrella & a mug) for us. Our car was in a pretty good shape- no paint defects, no wrong configurations. But it did have a small mis-alignment between the driver's door and the rear door. :~

We immediately took the car out for a small mountain drive. As we were pulling in to an open preserve, my partner hesitated to drive forward because it was gravel road. That's when we realised that the next stop has to be a car detailing shop. (We weren't planning on getting any car wrap up to this point.) Next day we stopped by the detailing shop recommended by @chibi_kurochan (thanks!), and we're picking up the car tomorrow!

If I could choose again, I would still do a factory pickup as opposed to a store pickup. Sure, there was no nice red bow and felt less personal, but picking up the car right from the factory where a grand, ambitious vision is turned into reality, where Elon Musk defies skeptics of EV, it reminded me that buying a Tesla is not just buying a car, it's about supporting a mission and a vision (or multiple missions?) that is larger than life. I was deeply moved on that day!

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 11.37.26 PM.png

Last edited:
I appreciated the photos tiggerlily since we did a store pickup and only drove past the factory going to Carmax. We will make it over there at some point because we'd both like to do the factory tour. Believe it's once a year and 4 people? My dad worked for GM for decades and I remember getting a tour of his factory as a kid during one of their family days. Don't remember much in detail but was struck by the size of the multiple plants at his facility and how many people it took from management, design, fabrication and production line staff but are sure with computers and robotics much of the process has changed drastically.

So tiggerlily, which of the above cars is yours? I'm glad you decided to get yours wrapped. Apart from the mountain roads I think the local roads and highways can be just as bad especially with all the springtime pot holes kicking up loose gravel and debris. Really can't avoid it either as much as you try. We pick up our car tomorrow from the detailing shop and can't wait to ride in it.

Just wanted to circle back to report that our Fremont factory pickup went as well as could be. For anyone in the Bay area who is hesitant whether to do a factory pickup vs. store pickup, the factory pickup was pretty worthwhile for me!

We didn't schedule a factory tour in advance, but was able to join one after signing our paperwork (- took 5-10 minutes). The factory tour was AWESOME!!! We had a very entertaining guide, Kim, who drove us around the factory in a tram. I totally felt like I was Charlie touring the chocolate factory - everything was utterly fascinating and totally unimaginable to me. After the tour, I told my partner "I think I just went to the Future!" What was better was that, we're picking up our car that is built for the future!!! Can it get cooler than that?!

View attachment 219553

Our car was parked in a giant white tent with tons of other new Teslas awaiting delivery. The tent wasn't fancy at all, and there was certainly no big bow or champagne, but at least they had some jazz music playing to simulate the atmosphere of a cocktail party, and there was a high table with a bag of swags (a pin, an umbrella & a mug) for us. Our car was in a pretty good shape- no paint defects, no wrong configurations. But it did have a small mis-alignment between the driver's door and the rear door. :~

We immediately took the car out for a small mountain drive. As we were pulling in to an open preserve, my partner hesitated to drive forward because it was gravel road. That's when we realised that the next stop has to be a car detailing shop. (We weren't planning on getting any car wrap up to this point.) Next day we stopped by the detailing shop recommended by @chibi_kurochan (thanks!), and we're picking up the car tomorrow!

If I could choose again, I would still do a factory pickup as opposed to a store pickup. Sure, there was no nice red bow and felt less personal, but picking up the car right from the factory where a grand, ambitious vision is turned into reality, where Elon Musk defies skeptics of EV, it reminded me that buying a Tesla is not just buying a car, it's about supporting a mission and a vision (or multiple missions?) that is larger than life. I was deeply moved on that day!

View attachment 219554

Thank you for posting the lovely pictures, Tiggerlily. Of the ones in the tent, which one was yours? I think the Tesla Model S looks beautiful in EVERY colour.