Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're welcome... novel sight on the road and thought you all might find it interesting. Also for those waiting, worth the wait... just did my first 600+ mile drive in mine.

So, how did it go, and did you use any of these EV trip planner type apps to plan your stops? And did you figure out how much of a buffer you needed, given your personal tolerance for risk - of running out of juice?

Picked up my MS60 today and went straight to see Jason at GetYourWheels.com. Went with Vossen VSF1's in 20x9 all around. Tomorrow I'm going to get Xpel on the front clip and Suntek CXP on the windows! I'm loving this thing so far.

t9ulbc.jpg

I appreciated the photos tiggerlily since we did a store pickup and only drove past the factory going to Carmax. We will make it over there at some point because we'd both like to do the factory tour. Believe it's once a year and 4 people? My dad worked for GM for decades and I remember getting a tour of his factory as a kid during one of their family days. Don't remember much in detail but was struck by the size of the multiple plants at his facility and how many people it took from management, design, fabrication and production line staff but are sure with computers and robotics much of the process has changed drastically.

So tiggerlily, which of the above cars is yours? I'm glad you decided to get yours wrapped. Apart from the mountain roads I think the local roads and highways can be just as bad especially with all the springtime pot holes kicking up loose gravel and debris. Really can't avoid it either as much as you try. We pick up our car tomorrow from the detailing shop and can't wait to ride in it.

It was the first time I toured a car factory. There's a good chance that I would be equally wowed touring other factories :D But you definitely HAVE to tour the Tesla factory!

We picked up our car today from the detailing shop today. The technician pointed out several cosmetic issues that we didn't notice before: swirl marks, a recessed door handle on the driver's side rear door, a couple more misalignments here and there. I guess our baby is not as perfect as I thought. We plan to take it to the service centre to at least get the recessed door handle fixed.

Thank you for posting the lovely pictures, Tiggerlily. Of the ones in the tent, which one was yours? I think the Tesla Model S looks beautiful in EVERY colour.
I want to say ours is the white one, because white is my favourite color for Teslas, haha! But actually ours is a 60D in midnight silver (2nd photo with Tesla factory in the background. Lighting that day isn't the best). We got it because it hides dirts better. For now, I'm content to just admire other people's well-maintained white Tesla!

It was the first time I toured a car factory. There's a good chance that I would be equally wowed touring other factories :D But you definitely HAVE to tour the Tesla factory!

We picked up our car today from the detailing shop today. The technician pointed out several cosmetic issues that we didn't notice before: swirl marks, a recessed door handle on the driver's side rear door, a couple more misalignments here and there. I guess our baby is not as perfect as I thought. We plan to take it to the service centre to at least get the recessed door handle fixed.

I want to say ours is the white one, because white is my favourite color for Teslas, haha! But actually ours is a 60D in midnight silver (2nd photo with Tesla factory in the background. Lighting that day isn't the best). We got it because it hides dirts better. For now, I'm content to just admire other people's well-maintained white Tesla!

Please let us know how Tesla Service handles your QC concerns - the swirl marks, the recessed door handle, etc. My detailer called yesterday to point out something I thought I had just imagined - a small, very, very, small dimple of a door ding, just below the crease line, that’s unnoticeable unless you knew you where to look. My guess is that it happened during transport of my car. The detailer offered to have some paint-less door ding outfit come to his shop to remove it, at extra cost of course. I declined, telling my detailer to just finish with the Ceramic coating of my car, the tinting and the wrapping.

I’m having to take my car back to Service anyway, to have the decorative metal foot pedal covers installed. I’m going to ask them to address the teeny, tiny door ding, as well as my steering wheel which is just ever so slightly off centre. Little, little things, nothing major.

The car looks stunning in midnight blue too! Very stately.

We also went with the Midnight Silver Metallic and our detailing shop when looking our car over commented how there were minute flecks of blue in it. And there were! Really showed up in the sunlight. I really love the paint on it. They also spotted a scratch near the passenger rear wheel which I think they said they could probably buff out mostly and a small chip in the same area wheel well. That might have come from the drive to them, hard to say. Those were the only 2 things they found. Hubby went around the car pretty closely to inspect it originally and didn't notice either. The car was inside and with the dark gray was more difficult to see than when we had it out in the sunlight at the detailers. As far as the midnight silver metallic not showing spots so much, not sure that's true. The guys at Tesla were commenting that there was a lot of pollen in the air and it seemed attracted to the cars. We did notice the lighter colored pollen/dust on it. Right now here in the Bay Area Everything seems to be in bloom. I think this color might not look dirty but dusty instead.

Nice wheels godspeed30!

Last edited:
Reactions: avesraggiana
My car is one week old, and now has 600 miles. Washed it for the first time (no Xpel or Ceramic coating for me yet). I took some photos. I really am getting used to the white interior. Here is a photo of my new baby next to my old baby.View attachment 219744

Very, very, very nice, Bruce. Of course I’d love it, mine is the same colour! Took delivery of my car on the 21st, surrendered it to the detailers for all that fancy-shmansy coating and tinting on the 22nd, and they’ve had it ever since. I hope to get it back this afternoon but it’s more likely going to be Monday.

Can’t wait to start racking up the miles like you, my dad too, for whom I actually bought the car. He turned 86 years old this week and he still drives! I want the very last car he drives to be a Tesla.

IMG_0613.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG

There is a good chance you will see it complete by Monday and be asked to pay (ie. delivery in Texas are paid before shipping) and get it by the weekend. For your vin # being so high, that's good turnaround.

Oh really? my OA said i just bring the check from my CU in when i come to pick it up. Seems to echo all the other experiences here or is there something unique about Texas? ( i live in LA )

My car is one week old, and now has 600 miles. Washed it for the first time (no Xpel or Ceramic coating for me yet). I took some photos. I really am getting used to the white interior. Here is a photo of my new baby next to my old baby.View attachment 219744

You know compared to that Tesla, the mercedes kinda looks like a POS (no offense) ;) haha. Well its like if a Ford Fiesta parked next to a Audi R8, if you get what i'm trying to say.

You know compared to that Tesla, the mercedes kinda looks like a POS (no offense) ;) haha. Well its like if a Ford Fiesta parked next to a Audi R8, if you get what i'm trying to say.

While the 2012 E550 is a bit dated, when it was new it cost almost as much as the Tesla (unlike the Fiesta v. R8 comparison) and the accelleration from 0-60 in the MB would still beat the MS75. So, not really a good analogy. Not being totally defensive as it is time to move on to new things and I really like my Tesla.

While the 2012 E550 is a bit dated, when it was new it cost almost as much as the Tesla (unlike the Fiesta v. R8 comparison) and the accelleration from 0-60 in the MB would still beat the MS75. So, not really a good analogy. Not being totally defensive as it is time to move on to new things and I really like my Tesla.

The Mercedes looking like a POS? I shudder to think about what he thinks of my frigidaire-white Honda Odyssey minivan. Hahaha!

• Funny
Reactions: BruceR61
AAAAAAND....here’s my dad’s car just back from 5 Point Auto Detail in San Diego CA, and their full-on Gold Package Ceramic Pro treatment. I couldn’t believe my eyes, I still can’t. These pictures capture only a little of the miracle these guys managed to conjure. I’m thoroughly impressed, and so is my father.View attachment 219797
View attachment 219798 View attachment 219799 View attachment 219800 View attachment 219801

IT LOOKS GREAT!!! Now you get to enjoy it!

Is the Ceramic Pro treatment same as Expel wrap of different? I really want mine done when I take delivery next week, but driving back to the nearest city and leaving the car for days doesn't really appeal to me...
They are different. See my previous post on this thread. Xpel wrap is a thin clear film, otherwise known as clearbra, that gets installed over key areas prone to dings, scratches, etc (i.e. Front end, hood). Ceramic pro is a brand of ceramic coating that gets applied over your entire car. It's like a very thick wax that protects your car from fading, paint swirls from washing, etc. I, like many people, do both.

Is the Ceramic Pro treatment same as Expel wrap of different? I really want mine done when I take delivery next week, but driving back to the nearest city and leaving the car for days doesn't really appeal to me...

There are basically two classes of paint protection- one is a "wrap," and the others are applied as liquids and they "cure" or "harden." I'm oversimplifying but they essentially act as a semi permanent "wax,' with some (Modesta) claiming 10 years of life. The ceramic or liquid type protection can run up to 2K but is usually less. Obviously they are not waxlike, they are more glass like and they have far better protective qualities than wax. There are, as I said, tons of threads.

The wraps are applied with an adhesive, and provide extensive protection from chipping paint, minor collisions, vandalism (keying) etc. Xpel is one of several and considered the top of the line. Features are described in detail at the xpel website. 3M and others make wraps as well.

For the best protection, many here wrap and then apply the ceramic coat. That's what I'm doing. . .

As for saying goodbye after hello, I completely get it, made me sick also. I gave my car up for a week after having it for 48 hours. (Picking up tomorrow).

I believe you should consider some paint protection. . . Here are some considerations:
  • Tesla paint is considered "soft," which means it can be easily damaged, even by improper washing let alone road damage.
  • A car is the worst investment we make in our lifetime. . . Cars depreciate immediately. I am therefore planning on owning this thing until I'm "right side up" which will essentially be when it's paid off. That will take a while, so I am doing all that I can to treat the car like an asset and protect the hell out of it.
  • If you lease, I would not wrap it at all, since that can be 3 to 6K depending where you are and how much of the car you cover. You're going to turn it in and get nada return on that investment. Because of the lease structure it will not make economic sense for you to buy the leased vehicle for the residual. It will be far less expensive to get out of your car, and buy a CPO vehicle with the same attributes. If you need financial details as to why, I can help.
  • If you lease, I would consider one of the mid level coats, but would not spend more than 1 grand or so for reasons stated above. The more expensive coatings last 5 to 10 years. The less expensive ones will last for about the length of your lease. . . Hint hint. . .
  • If you own, I would at least wrap the front. There is a package deal that covers front bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors and rockers. I would also suggest doing the rear bumper. Once you've wrapped the front, I would recommend getting a ceramic coat on the entire car. That will ensure even gloss and ensure that the wrapped section doesn't look different from the unwrapped section.
  • If you own, I recommend you wrap the whole enchilada and then coat it. I know. . . you just spent a fortune on your car, and now you're going to spend a fortune on a bunch of stuff to keep it clean before it needs to be maintained . . Can run 7 or 8 K depending on where you are. If you do, your resale value will be higher due to both the investment and the condition, and your car will look new, pretty much every morning when you get in it for years to come.
So, what did I do? Last bullet. I did a lot of research and I'm doing xpel on the whole thing, Cquartz finest is the coating I'm putting over it, and I'm going to pay cash and put the pain behind me.

Happy to answer any questions having recently done hours of research on this stuff.

Good luck.