Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just watched a recent YouTube video where it compares 3 recent MS. One was built back on 12/16, the other on 3/17 and a recent on 12/17. In the recent 12/17 MS where is has the white interior, I noticed that the only white sections are the seats and side panels and not the lower dash - this MS has it in black. I hope that isn't the case with new builds. I ordered the white interior and I won't be happy it that's how they are building.

Can anyone that recently took delivery confirm/deny or comment?

Any news for Toronto friends? most of you have delivery date set for next week, did anyone received a solid date yet?

congratulation!
I’m solid for Dec 19th - but got a call today offering to move up as early as the 17th. I had to stay with the 19th sadly as my HPWC isn’t being installed until then and I don’t have access to another charger before then....

I just watched a recent YouTube video where it compares 3 recent MS. One was built back on 12/16, the other on 3/17 and a recent on 12/17. In the recent 12/17 MS where is has the white interior, I noticed that the only white sections are the seats and side panels and not the lower dash - this MS has it in black. I hope that isn't the case with new builds. I ordered the white interior and I won't be happy it that's how they are building.

Can anyone that recently took delivery confirm/deny or comment?

I have not taken delivery yet (scheduled 12/21 in Wexford PA) but I did order the white interior and I can confirm my car does have the black lower dash. I believe all builds after mid October w/ white interior has black lower dash. I read in another thread it was to streamline the production process (and I imagine lower cost). My original OA (Who left Tesla) confirmed my lower dash would be black. Black is also what is shown in the design center when you choose white interior.

Sorry to confirm the news....

I have not taken delivery yet (scheduled 12/21 in Wexford PA) but I did order the white interior and I can confirm my car does have the black lower dash. I believe all builds after mid October w/ white interior has black lower dash. I read in another thread it was to streamline the production process (and I imagine lower cost). My original OA (Who left Tesla) confirmed my lower dash would be black. Black is also what is shown in the design center when you choose white interior.

Guess I'll get use to it then!

Any news for Toronto friends? most of you have delivery date set for next week, did anyone received a solid date yet?

Hey so I emailed DS and he got back to me this morning saying that mine is still on the train and is expecting it to arrive between Dec 14 - 16

He said he will set me up with a tentative appointment for December 19th but can't confirm it yet because he needs to make sure everything is ready with the car once it arrives.

If mine is still on the way .. and there is a whole bunch sitting in a parking lot as well as more sitting at the international centre... That's a lot of Tesla's being delivered!

In another post someone mentioned that they went to international centre to take a look and noticed that Tesla rented out a hall from December 12 till December 20 which means that we should all be expecting delivery by December 20th the latest ...

Hey so I emailed DS and he got back to me this morning saying that mine is still on the train and is expecting it to arrive between Dec 14 - 16

He said he will set me up with a tentative appointment for December 19th but can't confirm it yet because he needs to make sure everything is ready with the car once it arrives.

If mine is still on the way .. and there is a whole bunch sitting in a parking lot as well as more sitting at the international centre... That's a lot of Tesla's being delivered!

In another post someone mentioned that they went to international centre to take a look and noticed that Tesla rented out a hall from December 12 till December 20 which means that we should all be expecting delivery by December 20th the latest ...
cool!!!

Unfortunately it is true. They took away the white lower dash just before I ordered. If you go to your tesla page and look under “specs”, you will see the picture of what your lower dash will be. I am kicking myself for not taking an inventory vehicle earlier and instead chose custom order. I was told by people who took delivery recently that “it’s not too bad” but none has posted photos of it here yet. I have a photo I got from another group but not sure if I need permission to post?

Although the reasons may not be obvious, there must be a tremendous advantage in making most deliveries in the last month of the quarter. Otherwise, they would not keep doing it. In fact, the commitment seems stronger this year than ever before.

Some things:
- always full trucks leaving the plant, cheaper delivery logistics
- can hire temp help for 1-month instead of staffing full time
- can push employees harder for a few weeks in a more efficient manner getting ready for Model 3 larger volumes, eventually
- Plant production runs harder early in the quarter and if for some reason it faulters or runs out of some parts, there is slack so that it can be fixed without affecting sales numbers "much".
- delayed satisfaction allows customers to "fester" a little bit making the final delivery "more exciting" (chatting online and expectation experience sharing is "part of the purchase" - the online "saga" versus the joy of walking a 200-car lot and picking "that one there" -- and paying full price for a "my car" order and watching it through the whole process is worth $thousands in revenue than bantering about price and driving a discounted deal at the sales center)
- making inventory at the front of a quarter while "captured" customers with locked in deposits wait until end of quarter for delivery. One other post on TMC indicated that sales of inventory off the lots accounts for up to 50% of all sale (not made to order as much as early years). Full-price captured customers with locked-in deposits aren't going anywhere - but to get more volume, tire-kickers need physical cars to choose from. (you gotta think like a sales manager).

I work in some projects where the Agile "Sprint" mode of development is not much different than the whole Tesla delivery cycle. Employees have lulls and then ragged 12-hour, or more, days. Does nothing good for personal lives especially the managers who have to oversee things.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: atsnyr
Guess I'll get use to it then!
I've ordered cream interior, hoping that lower dash will mach as per configurator.
upload_2017-12-14_9-44-38.png

Reactions: dc_h
Oh boy , I really thought I was the only one here . I’ve been anxious ,as you can see other states are getting their order delivered and most ordered after us . Oh well I really hope my DS is right about 12/26/2017 pick up date
finally got response from my DS. he said that car will not in production til next week. but he booked me for pick up dec 24

Odd, my DS call and say my car is still in transit, tentative delivery date still week of Dec 25th, but I also receive call about changing delivery location to International Centre. Interesting ...