Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 6-50 requires three wires the same as the HPWC. The 14-50 requires four. However, the 14-50 is one of the standard adapters provided with the UMC so it's less likely to be missed during shipment. The answers aren't really contradictory, they just have a different focus.

So what do you do with the 4th wire when transitioning from a 14-50 to a HPWC?

I ordered twin chargers but not the HPWC. This gave me the flexibility to decide later, and hopefully use >40A public chargers some day. However, the HPWC isn't available as an accessory (yet?). I'm hoping that once Tesla catches up with the backlog they will list the HPWC on the online store.

Picked up my Tesla (60kWh) at 9AM at the factory last Thursday and drove it to LA. Supercharging is totally awesome! Only issue was Harris Ranch, but there were six more stations ready to go live any week now.

IMG_0198.jpg

Fremont to Gilroy:
http://ptch.com/ptch/514b633b8d4f986fb6e4715f

IMG_0203.jpg

Harris Ranch:
http://ptch.com/ptch/514b9207ac60304d3e02fda9

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

Tejon Ranch:
http://ptch.com/ptch/514badbb8d4f9828c7010d1e

IMG_0220.jpg

On a separate trip that Saturday, supercharging at SpaceX in Hawthorne:
http://ptch.com/ptch/514df5b5ac603013342fef63

IMG_0273.jpg

And meeting Elon!
http://ptch.com/ptch/514dfc45ac6030180274780b

IMG_0277.jpg

All of it:
http://ptch.com/community/tesla/

This car is a life changer.

Congrats HansK!! how did the Supercharging go with the 60? any anxiety?

Certainly none at Gilroy, which was less than 40 mi. from the factory. But when my co-workers (I brought them as guests on the tour) and I reached Harris Ranch and saw another guy charging at the one supercharger, I have to admit I got a bit anxious. All the more so when we checked at the desk and they didn't leave contact info. After the owner returned and gave me a call about 30 minutes later, I plugged in and filled up while we ate at the restaurant. Getting to Tejon was no problem, and there were plenty of chargers open.

Then, getting over the Grapevine... I was most worried about that when planning the return trip, but it turned out to not really be an issue. It takes more power to get up the hill, and you get some back on the way down, so overall perhaps a 25% boost on power required to traverse the Grapevine.

The route back:
Tesla Motors to Bob Hope Airport - Google Maps

Certainly none at Gilroy, which was less than 40 mi. from the factory. But when my co-workers (I brought them as guests on the tour) and I reached Harris Ranch and saw another guy charging at the one supercharger, I have to admit I got a bit anxious. All the more so when we checked at the desk and they didn't leave contact info. After the owner returned and gave me a call about 30 minutes later, I plugged in and filled up while we ate at the restaurant. Getting to Tejon was no problem, and there were plenty of chargers open.

Then, getting over the Grapevine... I was most worried about that when planning the return trip, but it turned out to not really be an issue. It takes more power to get up the hill, and you get some back on the way down, so overall perhaps a 25% boost on power required to traverse the Grapevine.

The route back:
Tesla Motors to Bob Hope Airport - Google Maps
I have to make a similar commute to Pasadena. Did you charge till full in range mode at all the supercharging stations? Approximately what was your cruising speed and range remaining at each stop.

I have to make a similar commute to Pasadena. Did you charge till full in range mode at all the supercharging stations? Approximately what was your cruising speed and range remaining at each stop.
I wish there was a way I could simply download the data from the car. I wasn't recording anything, although I did snap some screen shots of the Tesla app at various moments after Gilroy. Here's a very rough estimate to try an answer your question. I only standard charged and my speed varied. I just drove with traffic at prevailing speeds +/- which was the least distracting to do.

Fremont factory: delivered range charged, 197 mi rated
Gilroy: charged a little, maybe got back up to 180
Harris Ranch: started in the 50's, got back up to just over 180
Tejon: started at 58, got back up around 167
Burbank: no record
Home (15.9 miles from the Burbank Airport): ~87 left

A standard charge will more than likely get you all the way back without issue. Going up the Grapevine, I saw instant projected range estimates drop into the 40's, but honestly didn't pay much attention to it as I knew from others on this forum that it would average out on the way down.

I got the car on march 25th, monday. I picked it up and drove 156 miles that day. Started with a charge of 273 miles and reached home with 76 miles left. the 40 miles were expended to my indulgent highway driving, comfy cabin temperatures, spirited audio, St.Louis chill from the recent snow storm. The car is what everybody has been saying - solid, fast, fun, modern, stylish. My 5 year old loved the rear facing seats but kept asking me "why does the car go backwards!!!!".
The charging from 110V overnight only added 12 miles, the NEMA14-50 was installed during the day and the service panel needed changing too so the car did not get a decent charge during the day, I had a rated and average range 63 miles left by the evening after trips to the kids school and needed to do a 30 mile round trip to swimming pool.
There was a choice of 30 miles on the I-57 with 65 mph or same 30 miles in the country roads with 30-45 mph speed limit. Chose to enjoy the country side and made to back with rated range of 50 miles on the car. The drive cruising at 30 - 40 mph was barely pulling 5 kwh from the battery the road was just flat, there's no road noise, and Norah Jones sounds live and the ride is very calming and peaceful.
I figured taking the back roads is a good way of extending range.. and looking at the maps, they take you every where. with family on board and if not rushing the quiet ride at moderate speed changes the ambience, its like sitting in a living room.
I got the first compliments and picture request at the swimming pool parking. "is this a Jaguar or something, I noticed this doesn't make any noise!!!"
I have no complaints about the sound system, my collection is variable in quality and what comes out of the speakers is what you feed.
I had the dreaded fogging on the drivers side and Tire pressure warning.
The car is in sync with you and best at experience when you are driving alone.

Few things I would like to know from the crowd
I am used to parking my old car, leave the family in with entertainment on and go to get milk from the store, the locked doors would be opened from the inside, how do I do this in Model S?
People have mentioned resetting the 17 incher, how did they do it? In my country road trip the range was stuck at a constant and I wondered for a minute if that function froze.
The ride in snow wasn't clean so how do people clean their cars at home?
Floor mats that you can buy in the neighborhood

Few things I would like to know from the crowd
I am used to parking my old car, leave the family in with entertainment on and go to get milk from the store, the locked doors would be opened from the inside, how do I do this in Model S?
People have mentioned resetting the 17 incher, how did they do it? In my country road trip the range was stuck at a constant and I wondered for a minute if that function froze.
The ride in snow wasn't clean so how do people clean their cars at home?
Floor mats that you can buy in the neighborhood

1) Press "controls" lower left on main screen. Gives you lock/unlock.
2) I forget which resets which, but press in both scroll wheels (right and left) simultaneously on steering wheel for about 10 seconds resets either main or dash... same action with right and left top buttons (above scroll wheels) resets the other. I'm sure someone will chime in with which is which.
3) I've got to abstain from car cleaning question, because I don't really have enough space in garage. I just wait for weekly trip to hand wash. If I could, I'd just use hot water with highly diluted neutral soap, clean white cotton cloth, and dry with chamois.
4) There is a thread on floor mats, check it out. Best option is weather tech, but they are still in process of engineering/fitting for Model S. Keep eye on their site. A bunch of people have gotten Lloyds. Those are designed to fit specific car. Generic ones may not fit well, but if they are temporary winter measure, you may not care! I'm holding out for weather tech

Good luck, enjoy the car.

A standard charge will more than likely get you all the way back without issue. Going up the Grapevine, I saw instant projected range estimates drop into the 40's, but honestly didn't pay much attention to it as I knew from others on this forum that it would average out on the way down.

Is there any difference in range when you change from standard to range mode after you already left the SC station? Does the range mode allow you to use more of the battery, e.g. up to the last 1% or 2%?

Is there any difference in range when you change from standard to range mode after you already left the SC station? Does the range mode allow you to use more of the battery, e.g. up to the last 1% or 2%?

No. Range charging increases the amount you charge up to. Once you unplug it does nothing. There is a setting in settings under heading Driving for range mode which limits extraneous battery usage hvac and such during driving to extend range. Not same thing as range charge. Have you read user manual? It's worth an hour.

No difference after charging as range mode just keeps charging the battery until it reaches 100% instead of stopping at 90%. Standard mode's 90% max is better for the cycle life of the battery and is what you should use for most of your charges.

240/40 is very viable. You don't have to go all the way to HPWC just because 110 isn't doing the trick, because 110 is pretty worthless, and only good in a pinch. I've thought a little about my prior post, given the responses. I still think MOST people with 85 kwh battery would be perfectly happy with 240/40. Will concede that for smaller batteries, it's much more likely that you'll need to recharge during the day - as the one poster noted regarding his Leaf experience. It's really bad, though, if you are living with 110 for an indeterminate amount of time waiting for HPWC. I'll reiterate, all those in that situation should really evaluate their needs and consider putting in 14-50 outlet and charging on 240/40. 110 would be unbearable.

One decision I do not regret is not installing a HPWC. I did have my contractor put in a NEMA 14-50 for 240/40, and when my battery is lower on charge, it charges me at 30-33 miles of charge/hour. Plenty fast enough for me to put plenty enough charge back on my 60 kWh battery in only a few hours. If I know I have a long drive the next day, I plug in before midnight and by the morning, we're done.

Hi ! I am hardcore Tesla fan from Latvia. I was very surprised then I find out, that there is one Model S in Riga, Latvia already. It is registered with legal number plates. Only thing that this article says, is that there are only two model s in Europe - one in Norvay and one in Latvia. No information about Who owns this vechile on what configuration of tesla that is! Tesla begins to change the World!! MIX TV iepazÄ«stas ar RÄ«gÄ￾ pirmo unikÄ￾lo elektroauto TESLA Model S, Mixnews.lv

Hi ! I am hardcore Tesla fan from Latvia. I was very surprised then I find out, that there is one Model S in Riga, Latvia already. It is registered with legal number plates. Only thing that this article says, is that there are only two model s in Europe - one in Norvay and one in Latvia. No information about Who owns this vechile on what configuration of tesla that is! Tesla begins to change the World!! MIX TV iepazÄ«stas ar RÄ«gÄ￾ pirmo unikÄ￾lo elektroauto TESLA Model S, Mixnews.lv
Yep that person is a member here
How can I charge a US built Model S in Latvia?