Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats to those getting closer! Those final days until D Day are crazy, sleepless, maddeningly slow and yet still part of the fun. I still fall in love all over again every time I slip behind the wheel and realize it wasn't all a crazy dream.

I have done some very bad things already...things that got my license suspended in my teenage years. Just now in a much nicer and faster car!

Hello VCanucks, My VIN is 106xx with Tri Coat Red and I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow morning but they canceled this last week. My original delivery date was May 9-23rd. Last week they said it wasn't even off the line yet. Something is going on, I don't anticipate my car to be here until mid-late June, maybe even into July. I told my Toronto DS to call me when it's 4 days until I can pick it up because their anticipation let downs are driving me crazy. That way I know it is for sure.

Hello VCanucks, My VIN is 106xx with Tri Coat Red and I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow morning but they canceled this last week. My original delivery date was May 9-23rd. Last week they said it wasn't even off the line yet. Something is going on, I don't anticipate my car to be here until mid-late June, maybe even into July. I told my Toronto DS to call me when it's 4 days until I can pick it up because their anticipation let downs are driving me crazy. That way I know it is for sure.
Don't wait for them to call you. Pick up the phone, send email, go to the nearest service center. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that... I believe Tesla wants happy customers.

Also, what is Tri Coat red? Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

Hello PHil,

I have been calling, emailing, they only tell me that it is still in production. If it is not ready, it is not ready. What I don't like is we are approaching a month after my original delivery date of May 9th. Tri Coat, Multi Coat, the same thing, sorry for the inaccurate terminology.

My guess is there was a serious issue with the first car and they had to build another. That doesn't explain why they won't tell you what happened, it is a sensitive time for them with lots of good press so maybe they want to keep problems as quiet as possible.

My guess is there was a serious issue with the first car and they had to build another. That doesn't explain why they won't tell you what happened, it is a sensitive time for them with lots of good press so maybe they want to keep problems as quiet as possible.

I agree with Calisun, while it does suck, be happy that they saw a problem with the car and are fixing it, rather than sending you a lemon.

Hello PHil,

I have been calling, emailing, they only tell me that it is still in production. If it is not ready, it is not ready. What I don't like is we are approaching a month after my original delivery date of May 9th. Tri Coat, Multi Coat, the same thing, sorry for the inaccurate terminology.

Just joking about the tricoat thing! I knew what you were talking about.

You should get some one on the phone and demand to speak to a manager. Stress your desire for information regarding your new delivery date and an explanation for the missed delivery date. Make it clear that you aren't angry but feel like you haven't been treated well as a customer. Have all your information at hand - reservation date (and # of course), release to factory date, names of anyone you have dealt with, any communications (email, phone conversation notes). Be firm and polite - it's easy to get angry but that's counter productive. Don't take vague assurances from them. Demand specific details. Persist! I'm sure you know all this stuff but it doesn't hurt to say it...

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with Calisun, while it does suck, be happy that they saw a problem with the car and are fixing it, rather than sending you a lemon.

I think it's important to get them to come clean to him. It's one thing if they said, "the car was simply not up to our standards", it's another if they are vague. Keeping the lid on bad news is the sign of a company in trouble. Being vague and evasive, is too. Something doesn't smell right and they already have some damage to undo.

I have been struggling for the past month with receiving a firm date. I called my DS in California and she basically told me that they have been quite "transparent" with our communication with me. I get a delivery notice of May 9-23rd and after that I was the one who is doing the calling and reaching out.

Having VIN#'s 500+ cars after me already being delivered seems that there is a problem but they really are not divulging much more then, "it's still in manufacturing". It seems the more I call their attitude changes and I am the one who looks like a irate customer, judging from their voices. All I want to know is why it is delayed!!!

Further to this, I was told way back in November about the incentive program being taking care of by Tesla, basically they wait for the check to come in, instead of me rounding up another $8500CAD at the time of delivery. The sales person at the Toronto store was boasting on how Tesla is a different car company and we don't make you wait for funds if you don't have to.

Also, I was sold on Home Delivery back then as well. Now that has been taken away. The DS asked how we can make things "smoother" for me during the delivery process. Gee, let me think, maybe a valet service for my wife and I instead of finding a friend or neighbour to drive us 45 min to the delivery address. You promise, and then take away. Let's meet half way here guys!

While I'm at it, the same sales person told me that the winter tire package includes storage. Not the case. At this point my enthusiasm has dwindled considerably since I signed up for this 110K car.

I will most likely take delivery with a non confident attitude now. What comes out of the mouth of the DS may be false or true, who knows. I get more information from this forum then I do from my sales reps.

- - - Updated - - -

To date, I still have no firm delivery date what so ever. My DS emailed me yesterday stating that he will get back to me "shortly"

This was the last message I received from Tesla about my delivery on April 16th. It should state, "in the coming months" instead of weeks.

Your car will be ready for delivery soon, we will work together in the coming weeks to pick a date for delivery as your car moves through production and makes its way to Canada.

Screen Shot 2013-04-16 at 10.42.05 AM.png

Is there anyone taking a factory delivery on July 11th (day before TESLIVE) that has a few extra spots for the tour? There are a few people who didn't get on the list fast enough but will be coming in a day early and were looking for a tour.

I think it's important to get them to come clean to him. It's one thing if they said, "the car was simply not up to our standards", it's another if they are vague. Keeping the lid on bad news is the sign of a company in trouble. Being vague and evasive, is too. Something doesn't smell right and they already have some damage to undo.

Oh I completely agree that they need to communicate exactly what is going on. I'm just saying that while it does suck to be delayed, it would suck a whole lot more to get a car with major issues.

If there were major issues, why not just start over and make a new car in it's place, it seems to me that would be quicker then to fix faults with an existing car. Slide it into a loaner or test car and work out the bugs from there. I was #523 for Canada and finalized on Feb 4/2013. It looks to me that delivery takes just over 5 weeks from reservation now. I am to the point of the car just being a fantasy and I have exhausted all the YouTube videos of people enjoying their Model S.

Is there anyone taking a factory delivery on July 11th (day before TESLIVE) that has a few extra spots for the tour? There are a few people who didn't get on the list fast enough but will be coming in a day early and were looking for a tour.

On my B-day,...can I come, i didn't even try to sign up for the Teslive tour since we've already done several tours. (we could give tours probably!)

12067 came home today! Amazing, amazing. Even though I've test driven one 4 times, and feel like I know everything, it's still not second nature... not in the 3 hours I've had her anyway.

Pics to come later, as today is an absolutely insane day, home deliveries, kids school BBQ, taking an ICE for service, and now a family events to go -- and I'm not sure to take Joulee or not (afraid it might come across as showing off, plus trees, meadow, etc.)

Kinda frustrating cuz all I want to do is drive, on my terms!

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

15 miles on...
IMG_3528.jpg

Joulee at home...
IMG_3534.jpg

Awesome!!! Glad you finally have it and sounds like everything went ok and looks great!! So looking forward to our delivery on Sat (crossing our fingers since we have not been called yet with specific time).

12067 came home today! Amazing, amazing. Even though I've test driven one 4 times, and feel like I know everything, it's still not second nature... not in the 3 hours I've had her anyway.

Pics to come later, as today is an absolutely insane day, home deliveries, kids school BBQ, taking an ICE for service, and now a family events to go -- and I'm not sure to take Joulee or not (afraid it might come across as showing off, plus trees, meadow, etc.)

Kinda frustrating cuz all I want to do is drive, on my terms!

View attachment 23282
View attachment 23283
View attachment 23284

15 miles on...
View attachment 23285

Joulee at home...
View attachment 23286