Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you ordered your Model S in 2017 - what other choices did you have for an EV sedan that could go ~250+ miles? Zero.

By the end of the year, we will have:

- Taycan
- Audi etron GT
- Lucid Air
- MB EQS
- BMW i4

Not to mention, if you are just looking for an EV that has "long range" then there are a plethora of options:

- ID4
- Ariya
- Bolt
- Q4
- etron
- R1t
- R1s
- Hummer EV
- iX
- lyriq
- kona
- ioniq
- polestar 2
- ipace

I could keep going but I think the point is clear: Tesla isn't the only game in town, though the "specs" are currently the best, but for those of us who are willing to wait around randomly for months past an announced delivery timeline with no update, perhaps we are willing to wait 6-9 months and buy a car that's cheaper and better built.
If someone put a gun to my head and said I have to choose an EV from the list above, I’d definitely choose the Lucid. If money was a factor, I’d choose the Kona or ID4..

None of those cars have anywhere close to a 400 mile range. Most cannot even go 200 miles. And not one of those can go on a road trip with reliable, easily findable, quick charging options. Some are great cars to putt putt for local driving. The choice is Tesla or nothing if you want a long range EV.

You have no idea what you are talking about. 😂 I didn't even remember to throw it on there, but I can assure you two existing vehicles right now: Mustang Mach E and the ID4 can can be taken on road trips thanks to EA and the common charging infrastructure (unlike what telsa uses). Also, pretty sure Taycan, etron, Q4 are all road trippable. Also the Rivians as well.

Tesla claims the Model S gets 400 miles to the charge, but does it really? For example though, the Taycan often tests at nearly 300 miles range.

There are no competitors for the S on the market right now. The Taycan/Audi are to small to be competitors regardless of their range. Everything else at this point is as much vaporware as the S refresh is. All we have about any of them is some manufactur provided specs and promises.

As for the range there is no way to know what the real range of the refresh S will be. Tesla claims to ahve improved a bunch of things (cD, Heat pump, wheels) that should give a significant range boost, but the range they give isn't significantly different. Who knows if they are being more realistic with the range on the refresh, just haven't updated it yet, or are overstating the upgrades.

Reactions: elguapo
There are no competitors for the S on the market right now. The Taycan/Audi are to small to be competitors regardless of their range. Everything else at this point is as much vaporware as the S refresh is. All we have about any of them is some manufactur provided specs and promises.

As for the range there is no way to know what the real range of the refresh S will be. Tesla claims to ahve improved a bunch of things (cD, Heat pump, wheels) that should give a significant range boost, but the range they give isn't significantly different. Who knows if they are being more realistic with the range on the refresh, just haven't updated it yet, or are overstating the upgrades.

Removed ~10-15% of the batteries from the pack. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: RMG007
If someone put a gun to my head and said I have to choose an EV from the list above, I’d definitely choose the Lucid. If money was a factor, I’d choose the Kona or ID4..
If I were a marketing personnel at an EV firm, I would have been active on this forum 😂 (ofcourse without revealing identity). So much potential on this forum to persuade folks to switch from Tesla, given the dissatisfaction from their handling the situation.
It would definitely have been a better targeted marketing strategy, compared to marketing to general public.

Reactions: lbowroom
If I were a marketing personnel at an EV firm, I would have been active on this forum 😂 (ofcourse without revealing identity). So much potential on this forum to persuade folks to switch from Tesla, given the dissatisfaction from their handling the situation.
It would definitely have been a better targeted marketing strategy, compared to marketing to general public.
but I guess that could be true for any product forum, regardless of this situation where people are dissatisfied from the S/X launch.

For those who want to hold Tesla accountable for poor customer service, your avenue is to not buy. And for those who say there are other options, my wife wanted me to buy a Porsche Taycan. I say, until there is another alternative to the supercharger network, unless you’re buying a car to putt putt around town, Tesla is the only way to go.

So far, the most you are out is $100-I understand some buyers last fall put down $1000. You’re not out $100,000 yet. And my guess is that some of the new technology will have to evolve. When my MS was delivered, the software did not handle Blindspot warnings, rain sensitive wipers, and most of the promised auto pilot features. Even today, the navigation cannot handle something as simple as waypoints. Years ago, I had a 2000 Jaguar with first generation rudimentary navigation that had waypoints.

The point is it’s a car. And not a perfect one. Yet, we all want it.
Here, here!!The best way to show displeasure is to cancel the order. If there is enough impatience in the world .... my order will move up the production line :)

true - but certainly actors of other companies wouldnt 1) come here and talk about how excited they are for the last 60 days 2) then pretend to get mad AFTER tesla misses their timeline by more than a month 3) provide a list of 15 other cars to buy from 4-5 manufacturers.

I guess, some people can't accept the cold hard truth that Tesla is imperfect and their cons list is getting quite large. Also - I think most people (myself included) are willing to ignore the half-assed implemented features like auto-wipers, because the cars drive so incredibly well and there are other positive aspects (charging infrastructure, fast UIs, made in America, etc.). For me, I didn't have most of those on my last car, but it was also 1/5th the price brand new.

That is something that worries me. They've moved away from publizing the pack sizes, presumabley so they can change them more easily. I would hate if they dropped the pack size, they should be going the other way on the top of their line car.
I recently watched a video of the fastest EVs. The cars I’m referring to are not mass produced and cost betweeen $1M-$3M. They’re also lighter cars but I was very surprised that the Aspark Owl with 1800HP only has a 65kw battery pack. The Lotus Evija with 1700hp has a 70kw battery. With 3 or 4 electric motors, a huge battery pack isn’t necessary to make big hp.

When I was getting close to semi retirement I thought, maybe I'd enjoy working for Tesla selling their cars a bit. so I went and talked to some of them. You might want to do that. Tesla people are so dedicated it's astonishing. Trust me, the only reason they're not responding to all these emails is because, well, there's all these emails! They are flooded, flooded with request for information. And have no more info than any of us. Tesla employees are still on a mission. They don't know they're a big company, and they don't really act like it sometimes. Still, I'm dying for some information!