Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you purchase it later, and the software is downloaded over the air and you don’t get a physical product, in CA it’s not taxable for sales or use tax purposes. That doesn’t mean Tesla won’t try to collect it, but it’s not owed. I have had to have this conversation several times with companies and once it’s explained they don’t charge it. But if it’s part of the purchase price of the car then it’s taxable.

FWIW I was a CA CPA before I retired a few years ago so I’m not just making this up.
Interesting. I added FSD to our S and X in March of '19 during the fire sale at $2k.. My understanding is as you stated. However, both were charged CA taxes.....

After getting whiplash (Model S, LR, located in LA, order RN1144 on 1/22) I'm starting to believe that the August date is going to be the earliest it will even come. I'm pretty cynical at this point... not sure why I should believe it'll come in June at this point with all the back-and-forth...

Anyone else feeling pessimistic here and that they will just push a lot of us into the Q3 delivery window?

I have to wonder if hanging on to a previously-placed Plaid + (man that's a mouthful!) order insulates you from the inevitable price increases that will come.

I certainly hope so. My order is currently $12.5k less than what it was before they took it offline (no more Plaid + orders).
  • +$500 for non-black interior
  • +$2k for FSD
  • +$10k general price increase in Plaid +
Good point. The $100 is already burned, so there really is no downside to letting it ride.

I placed my order/reservation for the Plaid+ on battery day (9/22/20). As we all know, it was referred to as the Plaid (no +) at that time. The deposit was $1k. Did they drop it to $100 after the refresh announcement and 'transition' of Plaid to Plaid+?

but eh, you really don't use your brakes all that much on a good EV with decent brake regen.
This. My P85 ('13, 137K mile) was still on its original pads and rotors

I like the color match quite a bit
Yeah, me too, but the repeaters are chrome delete and there is this the chrome delete strip on the back and the tail lights are still bright chrome, so it still a bit of a mess. At least when the repeater and handles match, it creates a visual line from front to back.

Also, no date on either order now, which I am choosing to view as progress

a question for anyone that ordered their LR model in 2020. I ordered my tuxedo (b/w) LR with arachnids o. Dec 15th. RN1142.

after the conversion to the refresh, I no longer had any estimated date until 5/15 which showed estimated delivery June 1-30. That lasted for a few days and has gone back to blank(No “estimated delivery date” on account page) ever since the june1-30 dissapeared.

I understand that some plaids from 2020 are now showing June date. But has anyone with an early order date for a LR model ha a different experience?
I belive the early preorders will ship at a similar
Date. Maybe the white interior on mine is a holdup, but that does not make sense to me as they are delivering other models with white interior.

Reactions: T-Racer
a question for anyone that ordered their LR model in 2020. I ordered my tuxedo (b/w) LR with arachnids o. Dec 15th. RN1142.

after the conversion to the refresh, I no longer had any estimated date until 5/15 which showed estimated delivery June 1-30. That lasted for a few days and has gone back to blank(No “estimated delivery date” on account page) ever since the june1-30 dissapeared.

I understand that some plaids from 2020 are now showing June date. But has anyone with an early order date for a LR model ha a different experience?
Date. Maybe the white interior on mine is a holdup, but that does not make sense to me as they are delivering other models with white interior.

This is consistent with everyone's feedback. Mine is an LR 1/22 (RN1144) order here. Based in Los Angeles. I have ping-ponged on dates. Originally March, then June, then July, then June 1-30, then August, then June 25-30, then June 1-30 again, and as of today it is blank. Honestly, given the range of dates I've gotten (moved up, to moving back, etc)... it's anyone's guess at this point.

Reactions: gadelrosario
After getting whiplash (Model S, LR, located in LA, order RN1144 on 1/22) I'm starting to believe that the August date is going to be the earliest it will even come. I'm pretty cynical at this point... not sure why I should believe it'll come in June at this point with all the back-and-forth...

Anyone else feeling pessimistic here and that they will just push a lot of us into the Q3 delivery window?
The June 3rd event is keeping me optimistic ’somewhat’ 🌝

So you think Tesla forgot to read that part, is collecting the tax, and not giving it to CA?
In California, and maybe other states, a business can collect excess sales tax as long as they turn it over to the state...seriously. This is one way of dealing with all the fluctuations in sales tax by county in CA, just charge the maximum sales tax in the state and the government will be happy (though your customers probably won’t be).

Reactions: Danlbrau
So you think Tesla forgot to read that part, is collecting the tax, and not giving it to CA?
No. The default position of some companies is to collect and remit. I saw someone post CA has taken a position that you’re activating hardware on the car, not just downloading software. It’s an aggressive position they would most likely lose in tax court (CA). But then who will spend the money to fight it if that is the case?

I'm an RN1144 cat. Ordered on Jan 22nd. I have been given March, then July, then June 1-30, then August, then June 24-30, then June 1-30 (earlier today), and then now it is completely blank.

Model S LR.

(shrug)
That is exactly my experience, hopefully blank means if they can slot us in before June we will get a car. Otherwise September.

No. The default position of some companies is to collect and remit. I saw someone post CA has taken a position that you’re activating hardware on the car, not just downloading software. It’s an aggressive position they would most likely lose in tax court (CA). But then who will spend the money to fight it if that is the case?
It's pretty funny because by default, all SW is activated on HW.

That’s literally what I was told when I walked into the Sherman Oaks store by a SA. If you don’t get it in June, then the best to hope for is September. I took that to mean production early in each quarter is shipped out of state and CA gets EOQ production to maximize sales.

The exact same happened to my 2020 order. I have a white interior too.

Reactions: Sbaimo
If you purchase it later, and the software is downloaded over the air and you don’t get a physical product, in CA it’s not taxable for sales or use tax purposes. That doesn’t mean Tesla won’t try to collect it, but it’s not owed. I have had to have this conversation several times with companies and once it’s explained they don’t charge it. But if it’s part of the purchase price of the car then it’s taxable.

FWIW I was a CA CPA before I retired a few years ago so I’m not just making this up.
Agreed, I am also a retired CA CPA (and still active). but good luck fighting city hall after the tax has been collected.