Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also with the new chip from AMD...

could also be a cause for the delays.

Which again brings up the question, can we do bitcoin or ethereum mining with the GPU while the car is parked?

That could really bring some value to the purchase.

Fwiw: I stopped by local Tesla location on Sat just to inquire about when they might have a car to just look at (understanding not a demo etc..) but more so I can just make a final determination about keeping my order and taking deliver. Thus I would be happy to just see (not touch or drive) someone else's before delivery. SA's there told me that truly don't think they'll have any to even "see" until late July.

Additionally re new tax credit: Tesla in the past has been pretty good and creative about adjusting sales dates, terms, and conditions to obtain local incentives where customer were at risk of losing them. I'd be pretty certain if the 80k threshold sticks they would find someway at least on the base MS to keep the delivered price below the required number by putting in add-ons after delivery for things like FSD etc.. I'm also thinking they must have a heavy lobby presence working on somehow keeping at least some portion of MS sales included in any proposed EV bill.
It would be no surprise to see the FSD subscription really, really available if there is an 80k limit. That would enable FSD without increasing the sticker price. And agree, I would expect Tesla to figure a way to adjust their pricing to allow for alternate colors or interiors to fit inside the limit also.

Reactions: T-Racer
Which again brings up the question, can we do bitcoin or ethereum mining with the GPU while the car is parked?

That could really bring some value to the purchase.
Bitcoin no not really, these days that requires specialized hardware. But even though mining some currencies in small amounts is possible, please don’t. It’s an absurd waste of energy not to mention wear and tear on your car.

Reactions: T-Racer
Did you see Bjørns video on the audi 1000km test? A record. Better than the Raven model S. Surely, the refresh will beat it. But still, the audi seems pretty good and I notice that I am considering to pull the plug on the refresh MS, because of all the waiting and uncertainty. Especially in Europe.

Reactions: HumanInput
Check out this article I just found. Maybe Elon pushed back deliveries of plaid to try and hold on to the “fastest production car” title, hence another week of tweaks for more power....?

Remember when some race series had rules that the manufacturer had to build 500 of a given car to qualify for as ‘production’ vehicles. Not sure Rimac has built over 100 cars in its history. I don’t think Elon is stressing about a hand built car that costs millions , at least enough to hold up production.

I don't see how a week would allow a change that would made the S Plaid accelerate that much faster. It would be fun if that were the case of course. However, although technically the Rimac is a 'production car', a limited edition car that costs $2 million doesn't really seem to me to be a real production car that could fairly be compared to the MS. I also don't see any way to order or reserve one on their website. I guess that is consistent with the custom order build nature of the car, and it's price.

Did you see Bjørns video on the audi 1000km test? A record. Better than the Raven model S. Surely, the refresh will beat it. But still, the audi seems pretty good and I notice that I am considering to pull the plug on the refresh MS, because of all the waiting and uncertainty. Especially in Europe.
Did not see the video. Is that Audi available in the US, and if so which model? If I could find something reasonably competitive I’d jump ship in a minute. It’s now three months past my original delivery estimate with no communication as to when I can expect my car to be delivered. And hoping it’s not one of those cars gathering dust in a parking lot for who knows how long as the battery discharges. 😐

Did not see the video. Is that Audi available in the US, and if so which model? If I could find something reasonably competitive I’d jump ship in a minute. It’s now three months past my original delivery estimate with no communication as to when I can expect my car to be delivered. And hoping it’s not one of those cars gathering dust in a parking lot for who knows how long as the battery discharges. 😐
I hope my car is one of those gathering dust and discharging battery.

A thought on the whole 'sitting in a lot with the battery discharging' thing - I've noticed that my current S discharges a couple of miles/day if I don't have it plugged in, but my assumption is that this is mainly due to various things being on while the car is sitting. Like ... the computer isn't off, it's in a low-power state so that it fires up quickly when you get in; various radios are working to watch for the key fob approaching; cameras are active for sentry mode; the car phones home to check for software updates; etc. If they're storing the cars for an unknown period of time, one hopes they at least are able to switch off these loads so the only thing left is self-discharge. Supposedly the 12V battery is now Li-ion too, so at least there's not a dead lead acid battery in each one of these cars as well.

As for self-discharge ... high temperatures tend to accelerate that; what's the weather like in Fremont? Otherwise at a self-discharge rate of say 3-4%/month, if the cars were charged to 50% or so before they were parked they shouldn't be in any particular danger of permanent cell degradation for a while still.

If that's 👆not complete bullsmurf then I'm also on team "I hope my car is one of those" :D

ome reading while we all waaaaaaait!!! Just more confirmation of the PS5 level infotainment / entertainment for our new S & X 's
This is the least interesting feature of the new cars for me--I am hoping it serves some other purpose such as higher quality visualizations, otherwise I'll be a bit irritated this was not made an option.

This whole thing reminds me of a somewhat humorous but terribly ethnocentric quote from the movie War Dogs.

97011447-90B2-4D3C-999D-6F35B3067E87.png

Tesla’s car allocation system is similar.

• I have to go first, I ordered the Plaid!
  • I have to go first, I ordered the FSD package.

Unfortunately, I have to go first because I was the first one to place an order isn’t a thing.

I don't think Elon is a evil liar.
I'm not concerned that my car is getting a layer of dirt.
I'm not concerned that my battery is getting damaged.
I am disappointed that Tesla couldn't hit it's highly aggressive delivery schedule, but realize no other car maker has either.
I acknowledge it's not the most polished delivery
I'm ecstatic that Tesla can deliver the highest level of performance and innovation in the automotive world at the best price.
Did I miss anything?

Since i don't have the extra $40k to order the Plaid in order to move up in line, I just threw in an order for the M3P...if it ends up being able to get here sooner than the MSLR that I ordered in early Feb, those with a black/cream configuration will move one slot closer!

Reactions: HumanInput