Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sony has a requirements contract for most of the key ingredients to Tesla's SoC from AMD. This means AMD has agreed to prioritize Sony's needs over any other buyer. Only when Sony's needs are satisfied, can AMD supply chips to others. Then, there are other competing long time volume purchasers like MSFT (which might also have a similar contractual arrangement with AMD).

Tesla basically has created a very similar SoC to the PS5 but it is far lower in the supply chain. MSFT also got its contract in years before Tesla. Tesla can't magic their chipset and they can't independently fab or make the chip like FSD.

Finally, AMD is still pissed that Tesla changed from their GPU platform (HW2/2.5) to their own in house architecture. Remember, AMD saved Tesla when they split from ME but now AMD has other car clients and a booming crypto chip business on top of their usual gaming.
What are you talking about? Tesla has never used any AMD parts before. They used an Intel Atom in the previous (and current 3/Y) MCU / Infotainment Computer, and Nvidia Tegra SOCs in the previous APE.

If all S's in existence are either in Fremont or that lot right outside, then they probably have something like:

External lot: ~500 LR's
Fremont dirt road: ~70 Plaids (new as of ~3 days ago)
Fremont lot near dirt road ~60 Plaids (new as of ~3 days ago)
Fremont big sectioned off lot next to buildings (pic below, in almost every Gabe video): ~120 unknown (These have been here as far back as I remember. At least several weeks)

Even if they're waiting to deliver any until Plaid Day, you'd think they'd still be ramping up production. Once these internal lots clear we'll be able to get a better production estimate. If they deliver everything and we only see a trickle, ruh roh.

(Credit: Gabe 6/8 flyover)

View attachment 671136

It's going to be a trickle. Not all of those cars are for Thursday and in that lot, many (most?) aren't even completed cars - missing various pieces.

I truly think the Thursday event is for a very small number (50-100) deliveries and then Tesla can hopefully push the rest of those 500-1000 units out by EOM. But that LR backlog is going to take 60-90+ more days to work through after June.

I have no expectation of getting a car before August. As of right now, they can't even put together 500 complete cars and those have been sitting somewhere at the factory (or at least a portion of them) for what, 2-3 weeks now?

Yeah, there will be 1,000 deliveries if we are lucky in June.

As someone whose been here for more than a couple of months (or a year or so) and have had a '17 MS for 100K miles, I think Croman and some others have more credibility than someone who joined this forum a week or two ago. The speculation is daunting. Glad for Omar! But, the discussions about a change in wheel colors because the web pictures appear darker are just crazy. Maybe they have switched, but I'd bet on a bad web image for the wheels. I look forward to hearing about the cars first hand from Omar and others as they get their cars.

There definitely is a reason for the delay. The missing dash panels bode well for a missing chip that needs to be installed, as compared to a problem making a trim piece.

But in the meantime, I assume I will get silver wheels for my new MSM LR with white interior, FSD and 19" wheels, that I will get sometime between now and August. RN 11461xxxx

I too just got the "Have you considered trading in your vehicle with your upcoming Tesla Purchase?"

One problem - I reserved a Plaid way back on Battery Day (which became the Plaid +), and when I was asked last week if I wanted to switch to regular Plaid, and I said NO.

I wonder if all Plaid+ reservations are being dumped into the regular Plaid waiting line now. Nothing has changed on my account page. Guess we'll find out more on Thursday.
Some people have mentioned speaking to an SA on the phone to edit their order. At the advice of a post I saw in this thread, I used the new “Edit Design” link that you should have in your Plaid+ manage page. From there, you can switch to Plaid and make any other changes.

When I did that, I got a July estimated delivery even with options that should be for June. So, take it with a grain of salt that converted orders from Plaid+ to Plaid will be prioritized—I chose to lease the Plaid, so that may be one reason mine isn’t as important 🤪

I didn’t want to wait for an “automatic” conversion because who knows how long that would take. So, proactively editing the order and confirming I still had the same RN# afterwards was my preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: T-Racer
As someone whose been here for more than a couple of months (or a year or so) and have had a '17 MS for 100K miles, I think Croman and some others have more credibility than someone who joined this forum a week or two ago. The speculation is daunting. Glad for Omar! But, the discussions about a change in wheel colors because the web pictures appear darker are just crazy. Maybe they have switched, but I'd bet on a bad web image for the wheels. I look forward to hearing about the cars first hand from Omar and others as they get their cars.

There definitely is a reason for the delay. The missing dash panels bode well for a missing chip that needs to be installed, as compared to a problem making a trim piece.

But in the meantime, I assume I will get silver wheels for my new MSM LR with white interior, FSD and 19" wheels, that I will get sometime between now and August. RN 11461xxxx

I don't agree with your sentiment at all. Your past experience with Tesla has nothing to do with today's situation, which by itself is unique due to a variety of micro and macro factors. What was done by Tesla 4 years ago has absolutely no bearing on what is going on today, it's a very different company (not to mention it's missing a few departments and a few executives from that time).

Croman stated he has no idea why AMD would bother partnering with Tesla and provide them chips, literally a week after AMD announced it during a conference.

You think Tesla updated the image assets accidently and everyone is going to get the original colors? Sure - I guess it is a possibility, but a strange one.

I guess some of you like to think your part of some special club because you bought a Tesla years ago - but I don't think the new people are any less part of the club because they are buying now.

Last edited:
I too just got the "Have you considered trading in your vehicle with your upcoming Tesla Purchase?"

One problem - I reserved a Plaid way back on Battery Day (which became the Plaid +), and when I was asked last week if I wanted to switch to regular Plaid, and I said NO.

I wonder if all Plaid+ reservations are being dumped into the regular Plaid waiting line now. Nothing has changed on my account page. Guess we'll find out more on Thursday.
They will cancel and refund your $1000. Then if you order a Plaid with the SA (OLA), they told me they will honor the previous pricing for FSD and trim. I haven't seen the discount in my order yet but other mention that it will come at the time of VIN assignment.... I need confirmation on this.

Some people have mentioned speaking to an SA on the phone to edit their order. At the advice of a post I saw in this thread, I used the new “Edit Design” link that you should have in your Plaid+ manage page. From there, you can switch to Plaid and make any other changes.

When I did that, I got a July estimated delivery even with options that should be for June. So, take it with a grain of salt that converted orders from Plaid+ to Plaid will be prioritized—I chose to lease the Plaid, so that may be one reason mine isn’t as important 🤪

I didn’t want to wait for an “automatic” conversion because who knows how long that would take. So, proactively editing the order and confirming I still had the same RN# afterwards was my preference.
July is still prioritized. Many of us LR are being told August, September from SAs. Or like me blank 😜

A sad day indeed. RIP Plaid+

1623211043395.png

I don't agree with your sentiment at all. Your past experience with Tesla has nothing to do with today's situation, which by itself is unique due to a variety of micro and macro factors. What was done by Tesla 4 years ago has absolutely no bearing on what is going on today, it's a very different company (not to mention it's missing a few departments and a few executives from that time).

Croman stated he has no idea why AMD would bother partnering with Tesla and provide them chips, literally a week after AMD announced it during a conference.

You think Tesla updated the image assets accidently and everyone is going to get the original colors? Sure - I guess it is a possibility, but a strange one.

I guess some of you like to think your part of some special club because you bought a Tesla years ago - but I don't think the new people are any less part of the club because they are buying now.
I don't think I am in a club or any better than any of you. Let's get that straight. But, I think I have seen a lack of communication a lot longer than some here. All I am voicing is it make no sense to change things before even delivering car one.

It's after midnight on east coast and just caught up on all the posts that occurred during my 4 hour drive home. RN1144 MS LR ordered 1/29 was just updated from August to June 23-30. My newer RN1150 MS Plaid order is still (as always) showing June. Both orders are MSM, FSD, 21 " Arachnids. Plaid has Cream. LR has Black interior. I expected a larger window to cancel one of the orders. Dilemma. Stay tuned Charlotte (East Coast) area as LR may be here sooner than we thought.