Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what’s at 7PM...a live feed of 90 minutes worth of new owners driving in circles in their new Plaids on the track?

Think back to the CT reveal for some guidance. I envision a bunch of YTers in plaid outfits, milling around a bar, with a few anxious owners to be thrown in.

By the time things get started, will be fully dark and no-one will see the swirl marks on the dark cars.

Omar and Atom, you guys bringing a streamlight or other powerful flashlight for inspection?

I will order a Plaid if Elon comes out dressed as Dark Helmet
1623265071003.png

Tesla never fails to disappoint on their trade in values. I just got one offer from Vroom and one from Tesla. Tesla offers have never been remotely competitive for me, and on this transaction they are offering $6,800 less than Vroom. Why?

You would think that Tesla is best positioned to get the highest price for the car, and would therefore be able to give competitive offers. I don't understand how they value their Tesla Trade-ins.

View attachment 671335
View attachment 671336
i have the opposite effect. vroom just offered me 40k, and tesla offered 45k for my M3P (stealth). super weird.

Reactions: EVonly and T-Racer
FYI, stopped by the SC today and asked them about this ridiculously confusing insurance thing. they said submit any insurance (PA), don't listen to the site, it's confusing and incorrect. so i uploaded my Model 3 insurance info. fyi, so you don't leave your forms unfilled.
I was told the same thing. So I uploaded my current insurance policy….

With great pride, I would like to report that I have only looked at the order page 6 times today.

When battling addiction, I think it's important to recognize even small incremental steps in the right direction. Every day is a battle.
6 times, I am very far from that figure; I easily do that every 10 minutes. Yes! I have a problem...

At the very least, Tesla should have offered a paint color that was exclusive to the Plaid.
My head is spinning from reading posts where one says, 'I need x/y/z to show it is Plaid', and then another that says, 'I'm ripping that Plaid badge off as soon as I can unwind my dental floss!'. o_O
PS, for full disclosure, I am in the Peacock category of wanting some visible distinctions! :)

i have the opposite effect. vroom just offered me 40k, and tesla offered 45k for my M3P (stealth). super weird.
I went to carmax recently and they offered me ~3K more than tesla tradein so I sold. 35,600 vs 39400. I maybe could have told Tesla nd they would have matched most likely. But after 6 months of waiting and taking pictures for the trade in every month (while waiting for model s), I decided time to get rid of mt tradein rather than let it get older.. Carmax was pretty easy to show up and get paid. Took about 90 minutes all in once arrived to having a cashier check and uber home..

I went to carmax recently and they offered me ~3K more than tesla tradein so I sold. 35,600 vs 39400. I maybe could have told Tesla nd they would have matched most likely. But after 6 months of waiting and taking pictures for the trade in every month (while waiting for model s), I decided time to get rid of mt tradein rather than let it get older.. Carmax was pretty easy to show up and get paid. Took about 90 minutes all in once arrived to having a cashier check and uber home..
Yeah, it is a pain with trade-ins. Dealers are always less, including Tesla it seems. They know your buying from them, makes the process more integrated, and they know in many cases that it helps you save on sales tax in states that you only pay sales tax on the difference after trade-in. Sometimes that saves 2-3K or so on pricey cars so they milk that. We've had the best luck with Carvana so far, super fast/easy with best values given to us. Will have to try Vroom since have a car to sell this July.

I chose to lease rather than buy with financing. Anyone else choose to do the same? I figure that I can always buy out at the end of the lease, or have an easy out in case Plaid orders get overshadowed by too many upgrades, *cough* Plaid+ *cough*.
*Raises hand

I used to teach corporate finance. "Finance assets that hedge inflation, lease assets that depreciate."

The pic isn't definitive on whether they are matrix headlights .. he's just going by the separate lamps in each housing .. last I read was they were illegal in the US .. but very prominent in high end cars overseas ... basically the lamps automatically adjust to let you see around corners and turns ... would be cool ...

Matrix would also eliminate the need for the extra lamps the S illuminates when you use the turn signal.
thank you!

*Raises hand

I used to teach corporate finance. "Finance assets that hedge inflation, lease assets that depreciate."
Precisely this. Also, in California there's no trade-in tax credit so every time you change the car you're on the hook for full sales tax if you buy/finance. If you lease, you only pay tax on the lease balance...when the car gets into the 60k+ range, this starts adding up fast.

Reactions: T-Racer
I think it's more likely that not enough people were buying Plaid, and Plaid+ was too far off in the future. To avoid Osbourne Effect, they tried to court Plaid+ reservation holders to switch the regular Plaid, but too many wanted to wait (I'm one of them). This resulted in them straight up cancelling it until they have a more definitive date (although, this is speculation).
4680 battery pack 1+ years out is my guess.