Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read through the 40 pages I missed. It's late, but here are a few quick thoughts:
  • Looking at the car holistically and qualitatively, it is really well put together. If you ignore the presence or absence of specific features and take in the car as a whole, its pretty awesome--I really enjoyed the 2 hour drive
  • I'd urge you to not cancel your order until you get your hands on one. If you live in NorCal, I'll happily meet you somewhere
  • A lot of the goodness of the car is fundamental to the car, so no way should you look at the LR as some lesser version--its faster, that is all
  • I'd also caution against comparing one company's (mostly) shipping product to someone else's futures. Everything looks good in PowerPoint

• Elon was really pumped when he got out of the car on-stage. No sure how well that came across on the live stream, but it seemed a very triumphant moment and it was moving
  • It seems like he saw the rest of the slides for the first time while he was on the stage--kinda par for the course--he's better speaking that presenting
  • Something cool and important. There were a lot of Tesla folks there that worked on various aspects of the car (aerodynamics, electrical, interior). Everyone was super thankful to the folks picking up cars (we had different color badges). I know folks here feel Tesla is sometimes apathetic and that is understandable, but the folks I chatted with this evening were thankful for our business
  • More than one person told me more deliveries are happening this month and next before the ramp Elon referenced in his talk. No one had specific info LRs (good or bad)

• The car is a blast to drive--good chassis dynamics and very poised--it has lots of power but did not surprise me in unexpected ways
  • Plaid is just ridiculous. I punched it just once and I think I tweaked something in my back :)
  • Interior is nicely done. Still the Tesla aesthetic, but quality materials, pleasing to the touch, nice clean lines, lots of little details like stitching and piping on the seats
  • I like the horizontal display--feels like it shows much more info. UI seems a bit kludgy--think we'll need to wait until v11 to see something optimized for the new set-up
  • Yoke steering was not bad. I only had one instance where I went to grab a non-existent wheel. I could see adapting to this pretty quickly.
  • Yoke had a oval cross-section--typical width, but deep--it is comfortable to hold
  • If there is a variable ratio, it is pretty subtle--did not notice a wide variance in wheel behavior, but then most of my driving was on a freeway
  • I'll take some video tomorrow of going for a drive on surface streets and in a parking lot, so folks can see what it was like--we got our cars after it got dark, so not much to really record
  • Kinda "meh" about the stalkless thing. Right now I am catagorizing it as different, but not better. The turn signals were OK--I was hating them when I first got int he car (40 years of muscle memory), but was getting use to them by the time I got home
  • Ambivalent about the manual shift controls--work fine, easy to understand and non-intrusive--I posted pics of the UI in SmugMug
  • Given it was dark, I was unfamiliar wiht the controls and did not know the roads, I was not brave enough to turn on auto-shift--a goal for tomrrow
  • Rear seat is a definite improvement over all prior Model Ses

• Ambient lighting is pretty basic--LEDs in the bottom of the door pocket uplight the bottoms of the doors--nothing fancy like the EQS
  • That is really the only negative-ish impression so far
  • Things I miss from my P85: pano roof, yacht floor, real door releases

I'll post more pics tomorrow when the sun comes up: 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid - osultan

• On-board charger is 48A
  • You get 2 key fobs, 2 key cars, plus the phone keys

My prayers have been answered...there is a FOB!

Will you get a tiny plaid wrap for it?

ok that was amazing. The drive around the test track was mind boggling! There were only 25 deliveries and each included this!!! Wow

the drive home was really fun. The yoke is going to take a while to get used to, the shifting is no biggie to get used to. If anyone has any other questions I can help answer in the morning.
1. How was interior noise at high speed?
2. (kinda-a-questio) Next time you supercharge please take video or document the curve in some other way.
3. How does the frunk look?

Last edited:
ok that was amazing. The drive around the test track was mind boggling! There were only 25 deliveries and each included this!!! Wow

the drive home was really fun. The yoke is going to take a while to get used to, the shifting is no biggie to get used to. If anyone has any other questions I can help answer in the morning.

Is regen braking any better - more comparable to the 3/Y? It makes a difference compared to the old model S/X that I found having to get more on the brakes than the 3/Y.

Sooooooo.....I feel the need to rant. If nothing else, we're here to hug each other, right?

So I'm a january order. Pre-refresh. This is Tesla #4 for me. I waited months on end for my performance model 3...it was a similar wait. Never knew when it was coming. I spent plenty of time on these same forums in the waiting room. I also waited months and months for previous vehicle orders (Dodge Charger Hellcat and Audi RS5)...needless to say, I'm used to waiting.

All that said, I'm beginning to really frustrate and I feel like I am gonna be pretty livid if i don't get information within the next several days. I excused the delay previously to whatever was going on with Tesla. Whatever parts shortage...re-tooling....whatever. I'm not complaining about last night. I know what to expect from Elon. Was I disappointed with nothing big being announced? yeah. Do i wish i would've just gone to sleep? yeah...i had to wake up at 5am EST this morning. Still...all that is fine. The car is amazing with incredible tech. It will be the best car on the road.

BUT

I excused my blank delivery date on the fact that they were waiting to do this event and then start putting REAL updates on people's pages. The morning after, my page is still blank....and I am growing more and more frustrated by it. It's been 6 months. Those of us who are pre-refresh orders REALLY deserve to know something more. We've stuck through all this and it is really feeling like there is no end in sight.

I know I'm not the only one who feels similarly. I've had my thoughts of other cars but ultimately, Tesla vehicles are the best i've ever owned...and it is impossible to go back to ICE at this point. I just need these guys to actually communicate to us what is going on and when I can expect the product I ordered half a year ago.

I'll step off my soapbox. I need a hug.
Reading this post was cathartic for me.

I’ve found myself nit-picking small details since the event last night, knowing that I don’t REALLY care about PRND over-ride or stalks (windshield button is too close to AP button), or ANC not being available until a later OTA update, or any of that *sugar*.

I was starting think I’m just grumpy from not enough sleep staying up to watch that nothing-burger event. But deep down inside it’s what @Leodoc said that’s driving my frustration.

I fell for the trap of thinking “we’re finally moving” once the event was announced. But after the event, it feels like it was all just a PR band-aid to keep us from jumping ship at the 6-month mark.

It all feels like Elon saying “screw any more tweaks, we’re going now - ready or not”.

I’m very curious to see what kind of small issues start showing up over the next 30-60 days for those who take delivery.

Knowing what we now know about the Yoke, I would rather a normal wheel and stalks.
For me the yoke operation (at least what we have heard thus far), is the biggest shock. I expected steer by wire with a yoke... the fact that it operates similar to a standard wheel is quite surprising. Not saying this is a deal breaker (I am open to change/adjusting... though not certain the rationale without steer by wire)... I am just interested in hearing more from @omarsultan and @Atomadam on their perspective as they gain more experience driving their vehicles.

I was very underwhelmed by the presentation. It looked ill prepared (presentation wise). If I was looking at this project as a new potential buyer, there was very little that would have made think this over other vehicles. I am sure for those there it was phenomenal. I kept waiting for Elon to say "Live from Freemont, its...". It was not worth staying up for it.

Still frustrated that I have a blank account and they cannot say when.

With that being said, I am still more excited to get the car than I was 24 hours ago. Will digest this over the weekend and see what I will do next. Reaching teh end for me soon.

Well this is interesting…420 miles not at full charge 👀
1623418683129.png