Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They updated the website to show the correct photo of the new yoke. That thing ain't goin' anywhere!

Screenshot 2021-06-13 08.32.43.png

I don’t know that I’d call it concern, at least on my part. I’ve had XM/Sirius since 2002 and it’s more of a situation of that’s what I’m familiar with from a programming perspective. 20 year habits aren’t easy to let go of overnight.

As a transplanted NYer living in the northwest part of the DC beltway, it lets me listen to and follow my sports teams and even listen to some terrestrial radio stations from the NY market. As a product I think it can suck at times. For me it’s all about convenience and familiarity.
I can definitely see your perspective with this and may have underestimated how attached people are to the unique Sirius content. My comments are mainly applicable to music listening where bitrates on a high quality sound system are incredibly important.

If Tesla would just add CarPlay integration, the Sirius tuner could easily be removed and everything could be streamed with a similar integrated UI. Tesla could also choose to simply add a Sirius app. Of course, people would still have problems in remote areas. I guess this explains why Tesla is continuing to offer Sirius integration.

Why not just keep your place in line and see how it plays out - who knows, the round wheel may become an option. Also, there will be demo cars out in a month or two and you an try first hand. Hate to see you lose your place in line (unless it is front of me).
My wife just said the same thing though she hates the yoke more than I do. You're both right, it doesn't hurt but if I take delivery on the 3 then I'll drive that for a few years before circling back around. I currently have a 2018 3 LR RWD and like it. I had an S before that and both are good cars.

At the suggestion of so many, I have created a new thread to discuss everything related to yoke steering. You can find the discussion here:

Let's try to keep the current discussion focused on deliveries and not the features. Someone should probably also create a thread about Sirius/XM....seriously!

I prefer XM built in for a seamless experience. I listen to several music and news channels. I like having them saved in "favorites" for quick, easy access. While it may be possible to reproduce these on my phone, I am not a big believer in jacking with my phone while driving, which would be required without CarPlay. I am not an audiophile, so I don't really care much about bitrates, etc.
And don’t forget about Howard.. part of me still likes Howard 🤷‍♂️

At the suggestion of so many, I have created a new thread to discuss everything related to yoke steering. You can find the discussion here:

Let's try to keep the current discussion focused on deliveries and not the features. Someone should probably also create a thread about Sirius/XM....seriously!
You’re right..
June still holding strong (day 3) 🍻

You underesitmate us. We will always find something to bring us off topic. You could have a thread on being off topic and we would muck that up.

Speaking of delivery, what type of valve caps will be delivered with the Plaid? Are they rated at 200mph or is that part of the special tire/wheel package?

I just got done modeling the acceleration data for the MS PLAID and LR. I made the follwoing assumptions (please correct any errors):

PLAID
1020 HP
top speed of 200 mph
curb weight of 4766 pounds
driver & equipment weight of 250 pounds
tire grip of 1.235 g's
LR
670 HP
top speed of 155 mph (limited)
curb weight of 4561 pounds
tire grip of 1.235 g's

Using the PLAID numbers and assuming that 1020 HP is needed to overcome the drag at 200 MPH (gives drag) and that the car's acceleration is limited to the tires 1.235 g's, I get the following times and speeds which are compared to the Jay Leno drag strip results (as best as I can make them out with Jay's signature partially covering some of the numbers). All values assume 1 foot of rollout --> 0.224 seconds --> 6.08 mph.

JAY PLAID LR
LENO CALC CALC
60' 1.488 sec 1.527 sec 1.528 sec
330' 3.973 sec 3.946 sec 4.134 sec
1/8 mile 6.009 sec 5.954 sec 6.386 sec
1/8 mile 121.62 mph 123.80 mph 109.85 mph
1000' 7.766 sec 7.708 sec 8.368 sec
1/4 mile 9.247 sec 9.210 sec 10.07 sec
1/4 mile 152.09 mph 150.43 mph 132.59 mph

Here are the TESLA and calculated 0-60 times W and W/O 0.224 sec rollout as well as the top speeds:

W rollout W/O rollout top speed
TESLA PLAID 1.99 sec 2.21 sec 200 mph
CALC PLAID 1.99 sec 2.21.sec 200 mph
TESLA LR 2.88 sec 3.1 sec 155 mph
CALC LR 2.12 sec 2.35 sec 174 mph

The PLAID calculated speeds are all within 2.2 mph and the times within 0.1 sec of Jay's.

TESLA's LR numbers seem to be WAY off. Is the LR actually MUCH better than advertised at low speeds? Lots to think about.

2021 MS LR White/Cream/19" (10 May 21 - RN1149..) "BLANK"

Welp, I started the process of cancelling my LR white S yesterday by ordering an M3P (says July 6 to 26 delivery). I had my doubts about the yoke and after seeing videos of people driving the car they have been confirmed. It's not for me. I'll contact Tesla tomorrow to formally cancel the S. For those of you that like or anticipate liking the yoke, cool! It'll probably work fine. But if Tesla decides to offer a round wheel option, I'm back in line.
I’m hoping for an OEM looking attachment. At least to have the option.

Reactions: HumanInput
So my SA called first thing this morning. Plaid being shipped by train. Set to arrive by train on 24th. She said trains are almost always on schedule! The issue is whether there are enough transporters available. So could be ready for pickup on 26th as told. Then I just looked and scheduled changed 23 to 29. I think it was 24 to 29 before. Told an email with a specific day and time slot would be coming within next 2 days.

I just got done modeling the acceleration data for the MS PLAID and LR. I made the follwoing assumptions (please correct any errors):

PLAID
1020 HP
top speed of 200 mph
curb weight of 4766 pounds
tire grip of 1.235 g's
LR
670 HP
top speed of 155 mph (limited)
curb weight of 4561 pounds
tire grip of 1.235 g's

Using the PLAID numbers and assuming that 1020 HP is needed to overcome the drag at 200 MPH (gives drag) and that the car's acceleration is limited to the tires 1.235 g's, I get the following times and speeds which are compared to the Jay Leno drag strip results (as best as I can make them out with Jay's signature partially covering some of the numbers). All values assume 1 foot of rollout --> 0.224 seconds --> 6.08 mph.

JAY PLAID LR
LENO CALC CALC
60' 1.488 sec 1.527 sec 1.528 sec
330' 3.973 sec 3.946 sec 4.134 sec
1/8 mile 6.009 sec 5.954 sec 6.386 sec
1/8 mile 121.62 mph 123.80 mph 109.85 mph
1000' 7.766 sec 7.708 sec 8.368 sec
1/4 mile 9.247 sec 9.210 sec 10.07 sec
1/4 mile 152.09 mph 150.43 mph 132.59 mph

Here are the TESLA and calculated 0-60 times W and W/O 0.224 sec rollout as well as the top speeds:

W rollout W/O rollout top speed
TESLA PLAID 1.99 sec 2.21 sec 200 mph
CALC PLAID 1.99 sec 2.21.sec 200 mph
TESLA LR 2.88 sec 3.1 sec 155 mph
CALC LR 2.12 sec 2.35 sec 174 mph

The PLAID calculated speeds are all within 2.2 mph and the times within 0.1 sec of Jay's.

TESLA's LR numbers seem to be WAY off. Is the LR actually MUCH better than advertised at low speeds? Lots to think about.

2021 MS LR White/Cream/19" (10 May 21 - RN1149..) "BLANK"
Good job.. I’m not sure if the LR will be faster than every model s performance ever tested. Yes it’s 400lbs lighter but has less hp. I think your LR 1/8 and 1/4 mile numbers appear a little too optimistic.
Edit: maybe add a 1/2 sec to each.

So my SA called first thing this morning. Plaid being shipped by train. Set to arrive by train on 24th. She said trains are almost always on schedule! The issue is whether there are enough transporters available. So could be ready for pickup on 26th as told. Then I just looked and scheduled changed 23 to 29. I think it was 24 to 29 before. Told an email with a specific day and time slot would be coming within next 2 days.
When did you order?

Good job.. I’m not sure if the LR will be faster than every model s performance ever tested. Yes it’s 400lbs lighter but has less hp. I think your LR numbers appear a little too optimistic.
Actually, the numbers appear correct. Up to about 40 feet the acceleration is a function of the tires only and happens at about 1.21 seconds and 38.9 mph. Past that point the PLAID slowly pulls away. The extra HP really start to make a difference at higher speeds.

I’d be happy to pick up my car at the train station 🤩.
Are you Mt. Kisco ?