Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was lucky enough to get a VIN yesterday on MS Plaid White, Wood, FSD, 21s and got a pickup date of July 4-July 7, does completing payment speed it up? I'm wondering if I should wait till it's the date is closer for me to complete final payment. Thanks!

I always just bring a check, don't pay until you inspect the vehicle.

your ordered your lr in end of may? you have 21's? this is heinous, but congrats on your order
MYLR, not S LR haha. and both of my orders have 19s". The Y is blue with black interior, but the 3 month wait is what I gather is normal for them regardless of color or trim. I've been waiting for the S for going on the 11th month now though. I've been driving electric since 2017, but my wife is excited to finally come over!

Just musing, but wondering why Tesla doesn't offer a minor discount, comp, or even just refund of the shipping fees, if we were to go to Freemont to pick up the beast.
They are federally mandated to charge everyone the same destination charge. So no discount for picking it up at the factory.

Maybe even some partnership with hotels that have destination charging to make a small vacation out of it.
And don't forget if you pick it up in California you have to pay CA state tax. (Which your state may, or may, not recognize and apply toward the state tax due in your state.)

Anyway of telling from the VIN if it was one sitting on the lot or fresh production?
Totally speculating, but if the first three digits of the last six are lower than 431___, it is possible. @omarsultan started with 431____ and has a build date of May/2021. So anything before that, one could speculate it from the lot. You could also ask your SA for the build date and verify it at delivery on the sticker in the door jam.

MYLR, not S LR haha. and both of my orders have 19s". The Y is blue with black interior, but the 3 month wait is what I gather is normal for them regardless of color or trim. I've been waiting for the S for going on the 11th month now though. I've been driving electric since 2017, but my wife is excited to finally come over!
ahh slowly unraveling over here haha

They are federally mandated to charge everyone the same destination charge. So no discount for picking it up at the factory.

And don't forget if you pick it up in California you have to pay CA state tax. (Which your state may, or may, not recognize and apply toward the state tax due in your state.)
thank you - this is exactly what I was looking for. I think Tesla is pretty good with logistics (communication is another story) but this helps explain why they didn't just have a free for all - first 1,000 to come get their cars this week, etc.
I bought my Benz and had it shipped from Oregon to NJ, there was crazy stuff with the tax and I still can't figure it out. I'd rather not pay CA tax and then NJ tax. I had no idea destination charges were a federal thing. But, I wonder if it can be completely waived, i.e. $750 to everyone, or $0, but not $400 to someone in mid-US. Thanks again!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Totally speculating, but if the first three digits of the last six are lower than 431___, it is possible. @omarsultan started with 431____ and has a build date of May/2021. So anything before that, one could speculate it from the lot. You could also ask your SA for the build date and verify it at delivery on the sticker in the door jam.

Mine is just over that number. Not sure it matters either way. The lot cars are not going to be any worse than a fresh car made that will also sit a few days out side and then truck across country. As long as it is clean, buttoned-up, and charged when I get it.

So here is my question regarding the cars that have been sitting in the lots. It's not just the dust. There is bird poop and other contaminents that have been literally baked in for months in the (very) hot California sun. In addition, in real life your car doors are opened and air flows through the vehicle. These have been totally closed up and not even moved. Lastly being in the same parking spot, the sun comes through the windows in the same spots day after day after day. I understand there is some UV coating on the windows, but it never is 100% protection. Wood or seats could be affected (fading) by direct sun over and over. It just seems to me like the people who are waiting for the 19's (Since October here) are about to get majorly shafted. My first Tesla, have no idea what happens at delivery and if they will do paint correction or remedy these items if they appear, or give you the middle finger like they have been.

So here is my question regarding the cars that have been sitting in the lots. It's not just the dust. There is bird poop and other contaminents that have been literally baked in for months in the (very) hot California sun. In addition, in real life your car doors are opened and air flows through the vehicle. These have been totally closed up and not even moved. Lastly being in the same parking spot, the sun comes through the windows in the same spots day after day after day. I understand there is some UV coating on the windows, but it never is 100% protection. Wood or seats could be affected (fading) by direct sun over and over. It just seems to me like the people who are waiting for the 19's (Since October here) are about to get majorly shafted. My first Tesla, have no idea what happens at delivery and if they will do paint correction or remedy these items if they appear, or give you the middle finger like they have been.

I get your point and this is my first Tesla so I am curious/nervous for delivery condition. I think we are both over thinking it .

I am literally considering switching to 21" and black interior so I can avoid this cluster. But I love white interior :(
This is insane

It looked like there was at least one Signature Red car in the lot there, if not a couple, so I'm not totally sold that that lot of unmoving cars was all newly produced. It could have been test mules and other undeliverables that were moved out of the way so they could store more new cars for the EOQ push, which would explain why they haven't moved since Gabe's last flyover.

I get your point and this is my first Tesla so I am curious/nervous for delivery condition. I think we are both over thinking it .
I've worked my whole life to be able to afford a car like this, I don't think I'm personally overthinking it. I want a quality product after being treated like a peasant for the last 8 months and counting.

I would put it like this - if it is outrageous and not to your liking, ask (attempt to force) Tesla to fix it. If not, decline the delivery. And make the decision if waiting for a better car is worth your time.

Much like literally any other traditional dealer, those cars have been siting in lots for days, weeks, etc. And before Tesla, you never probably looked at the production date. Or tracked how long it might have sat at a factory lot. Nor did you probably have a delivery checklist in hand to look over the car, inch-by-inch.

Just musing, but wondering why Tesla doesn't offer a minor discount, comp, or even just refund of the shipping fees, if we were to go to Freemont to pick up the beast. They finish, wash and charge the car, and some 200 folks a day can drive off - without delivery delays, etc. - they could comp supercharging for your drive home (If you live in Freemont that might be $1 worth, if in NYC well, it's cross country). Maybe even some partnership with hotels that have destination charging to make a small vacation out of it. That would be one way to move the cars - they could set up a tent in the parking/Plaid reveal area. Okay, back to lurking...
Probably because that truck or train is going that way regardless. You picking it up doesn’t stop Tesla from paying for that truck to drive across the country. That is a sunk cost for Tesla. If anything, a factory pickup would cost them more because they’d have to pay staff to assist you, probably cover some additional insurance for having non-employees on the premises, etc.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid