Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope so. Tesla needs to make S a better car that offers more than the 3/Y. The way I see it Tesla really ****ed the model S owners for the last few years by offering then subpar material compared to their low end smaller sedan. It was a foolish thing to do. I hope they make S/X superior cars and more importantly they need to have features exclusive to S/X instead of trickling them down to 3/Y owners. This kind of stupidity from Tesla needs to stop.
Isn’t it interesting that there isn’t a team or person at Tesla who’s sole job is to see what feedback people have in order to make changes and bring ideas to the table when there are discussions regarding new models

Hi all, if this is old or very well known please forgive me - I've read that the 19" wheels and CF interior are the "kisses of death" for delivery "now" - the online configurator has shown that for CF and I THINK white for a while now - i just double checked with the wheels for giggles, and yeah, just changing from 19" to the bugs goes from august to july for plaid.
folks have been saying it's a profit thing - I really think it's a supply thing - for this aspect at least. ditto the interior color delays.
Just my .02, and worth about as much.
That doesn't stop me from refreshing at least daily - my September LR (19") disappeared, but I suspect it will come back in August or so for September.
I've also read that the prior S can take I think 3 to 5 days to build (that is super fast to me, I wonder how much of that is time for the paint to dry, and however many layers of it!) - regardless, I have to imagine what, 2 weeks? 3 weeks from start of build until delivery in NJ? No idea how long the train takes.
Meanwhile, I love seeing photos of folks getting their LRs!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Isn’t it interesting that there isn’t a team or person at Tesla who’s sole job is to see what feedback people have in order to make changes and bring ideas to the table when there are discussions regarding new models
There is a customer insight team that looks at all the survey results, social media sentiment and other input, distills out trends and forwards the info to the appropriate folks. I know one of the guys on the team.

I’ve seen quite a few posts about plaid vs LR from a cost / value perspective. Many seem to focus on the 50k difference and argue that it’s not worth it. I’m not up to speed on resale value of say LR vs Performance but I would imagine the resale value of the Plaid will hold its value the same as the LR. If so then the 50k difference is not going to cost you 50k more to have owned once you resale the car. What do you think? 3 years from now how much of that 50k will be lost. I pick my plaid up tomorrow and wanted it regardless but have rationalized that I’m not throwing away 50k more.
On a lease it's about half that.

With the crazy specs, plaid might hold its value better than other examples.
Tesla probably won’t need to drop the price of their 9 sec crazy sedan. Just my feeling.
I think the "alien tech Plaid" is incredible - but how incredible will it be in 1 or 2 or 3 years if they have the Plaid + or whatever, that have the new batteries, and same or even quicker acceleration?
the Plaid is a supercar - no question about it - but I think you're paying top dollar for that performance TODAY which I imagine will scale down as there are a) more Plaids on the road b) maybe more LR's will cut into the Plaid mystique (I don't know) and c) other cars (whether from Tesla or third party) that are super performance.
I'd love a Plaid.
I just don't want to pay the delta for it.
I also learned my lesson when I was like 14 and bought some of the latest computer tech - that was quickly outdated a year later by newer, cheaper, faster, better tech - that taught me my lesson - never try to be on the tech forefront, or if I do, I'll pay top dollar for the privilege.
I doubt the LRs presently have the carbon sleeved motors like the Plaid - but maybe they will next year. Maybe the 3 and Y will as well? who knows?
I think the Plaid will always be a great car - just how will it hold up to cheaper, faster, "better" cars?

Had an appt to pickup my Plaid on 06/25 and they cancelled delivery, rescheduled for today at 10am. Call me 1 hour before my appt and say I cannot take the car because of paint defects. I drive there and there is a very tiny scratch on the back window and a small paint defect if you open the trunk, inside the jam. Both extremely small issues that I could bring the car back to correct. They tell me I cannot take the car because it has to be perfect. Meanwhile I already sold my car and two appointments later. They then tell me the main screen won’t boot. No communication throughout the whole process. Just a terrible customer service experience. I will say the car, white with black interior is insanely sexy. Like night and day better in person. There was also a gray version there and it was great, but the white just pops with all the black accents, looked quite a bit better in my opinion.

as a side note they gave me a p100d loaner car, and I didn’t find the speed a huge difference from my 2013 P85 surprisingly. Anyone with a P100D drive a Plaid? Is the difference extreme?

Despite the poor customer service, the car looks incredible. All of you will be beyond happy with your purchase, I’ll be waiting another couple weeks, but, first world problems.
I’m actually impressed they refused to give you a defective car instead of hoping you wouldn’t notice.

I think the "alien tech Plaid" is incredible - but how incredible will it be in 1 or 2 or 3 years if they have the Plaid + or whatever, that have the new batteries, and same or even quicker acceleration?
the Plaid is a supercar - no question about it - but I think you're paying top dollar for that performance TODAY which I imagine will scale down as there are a) more Plaids on the road b) maybe more LR's will cut into the Plaid mystique (I don't know) and c) other cars (whether from Tesla or third party) that are super performance.
I'd love a Plaid.
I just don't want to pay the delta for it.
I also learned my lesson when I was like 14 and bought some of the latest computer tech - that was quickly outdated a year later by newer, cheaper, faster, better tech - that taught me my lesson - never try to be on the tech forefront, or if I do, I'll pay top dollar for the privilege.
I doubt the LRs presently have the carbon sleeved motors like the Plaid - but maybe they will next year. Maybe the 3 and Y will as well? who knows?
I think the Plaid will always be a great car - just how will it hold up to cheaper, faster, "better" cars?
Really just comes down if you want to be on bleeding edge or not - the argument will always be true that something better will come. So you have to make the decision of what change will make you take the plunge and is it worth the money then with the acknowledgement there will always be something better.

It will also always get cheaper but that isn’t unique to Tesla and occurs with every car and automobile. Tesla at least does the software updates that keeps some of the delta further and longer.

Hi all, if this is old or very well known please forgive me - I've read that the 19" wheels and CF interior are the "kisses of death" for delivery "now" - the online configurator has shown that for CF and I THINK white for a while now - i just double checked with the wheels for giggles, and yeah, just changing from 19" to the bugs goes from august to july for plaid.
folks have been saying it's a profit thing - I really think it's a supply thing - for this aspect at least. ditto the interior color delays.
Just my .02, and worth about as much.
That doesn't stop me from refreshing at least daily - my September LR (19") disappeared, but I suspect it will come back in August or so for September.
I've also read that the prior S can take I think 3 to 5 days to build (that is super fast to me, I wonder how much of that is time for the paint to dry, and however many layers of it!) - regardless, I have to imagine what, 2 weeks? 3 weeks from start of build until delivery in NJ? No idea how long the train takes.
Meanwhile, I love seeing photos of folks getting their LRs!
Carbon fiber seems to be the rate limiter not 19" wheels. Same september date regardless if you switch between 19 and 21 wheels. Carbon fiber seems to be the real rate limiter, more than white interior or 19" wheels. It's possible white interior is an equal rate limiter. Wish they would just tell us instead of these random customer service preferential calls to help only some. Almost 8 months in and I'm getting tired, might just switch to regular LR.

Apparently I can get white/black/wood/21 in June 😅😅😅

Attachments

• 7F3E4BFA-4C76-4EBD-BB5E-FC6766CC80A3.png
    7F3E4BFA-4C76-4EBD-BB5E-FC6766CC80A3.png
    455.9 KB · Views: 91
Do you really believe that improvements going forward will be at such a rate as we’ve seen over the last 5 years? How much quicker can you get than 1.99 seconds, how much more range do you really need? Yes, they will get better and better but I think he has to become more incremental as opposed to earth shattering. If I’m wrong that would be amazing because who doesn’t love insane technological improvements. ? My point is, I think the depreciation curve may actually slow a bit on these cars.
Yes, I strongly believe the improvements made in the next 5 years will be dramatic and far from incremental. These improvements have nothing to do with Performance because the Plaid is already traction limited and at the edge of what physics will allow without air thrusters.

The improvements I expect to come with the 4680 structural battery pack will be a much higher voltage battery providing a more rigid body structure that will improve handling. It will also come with a 500+ mile range and charge significantly faster for less money.

Rapid technological progress is inevitable!

Last edited: