Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point was I love the Plaid, but its not made for drag racing, it's made for enjoying and knowing you "could" beat 99.9% of the cars driving around, while enjoying everything else it has to offer, that's an ego thing. My point is a Small Block 1964 Falcon engineered by two "country" guys can run a faster ET. The fasted Plaid times posted were run on sticky drag strip. Bring that Plaid around and I'll prove my point$
I would imagine that the right people can make ANYTHING fast and faster than the previously "quickest" car out there. Haven't you seen 2,000 HP/TQ GT-Rs running on the 1/4 mi track? And that old 1960's "Falcon" isn't really a street car; face it (and I'm sure your nephew would agree), it's a dragster.

The Tesla MS Plaid is in fact an all-electric family sedan that can move like no other and it's extremely quick down the 1/4 mi. and around a race track. But it's stock and it's an everyday street car. I'm sorry, but I don't even compare old friends I had with 1,500-2000HP GTs to be in the same category as regular street cars; they're just not when they're modified with $50k+ of engine & other performance/racing modifications. Now, my full-bolt-on 700HP/TQ (stock turbo) GT-R, running on E85 was an exception; it was an everyday street car as well (although slightly modified), lol. 😜

Don’t forget about me @omarsultan ;)

I’ve been chatting with @lolachampcar and it appears he is not planning on taking his Plaid to the track.

If/when I take delivery of mine, I will be scheduling a track event at either Laguna Seca or Sonoma Raceway to see what this puppy can do stock.

Then, I will definitely change wheels & tires to lightweight 20s with road-legal near-slicks (e.g. RE71R), and upgrade to beefier brakes, then take it back to the track and see what performance improvements can be had.

I did this exact process (plus suspension upgrades) to my M3P and shaved off over 4 seconds at Seca.

For now though, I’m still with no VIN and a blank EDD. Which is fine, as I’m happy to wait while gathering feedback from folks like Randy Pobst and Ben at @UnpluggedP (they just need to check their emails more often ;))
MarG is your guy for track analysis. I'm especially looking forward to his feedback on modifications as he makes them and how they affect handling at the limit on the track.

As for me, I'm dog slow in door slammers. One of the things I've always admired about Randy is he can get out of a rolling and swaying 911 after turning competitive lap times and hop in something like (my old) Chevron B36 and be equally competitive. I saw it first hand at The Glen when he was coaching the guys that bought the 36. It is a sight to behold and a skill I do not posses.

What I will be doing is finding out exactly how the plaid handles from a grip at each end standpoint at street speeds. It's like doing a stall sequence in a new plane; I'm a firm believe in knowing car balance before I'm in a situation where I need to KNOW a car's balance :). I'm also looking forward to fully understanding what Tesla is doing with torque steer both on corner entry and exit. Someone else has already posted that the car's stability control pulls power when there is steering input. Hopefully it is not like my ole M5 that called no joy once you even thought about turning the steering wheel. If the Plaid is anything like my PD, it will not like trail braking one bit and you will need a bit of right pedal. I can assure you that there is enough right pedal on available on the 2015 P90DL to completely piss off the front tires on corner exit even with the front motor pulling away.

I went by the dealership this afternoon to see about the possibility of changing my 19’s to 21’s and without losing the 2k Pre refresh discount. Talked to The Who room of about 5 SA’s and non of them thought there was any delays because of 19’s. All said that a change in the order would put be back in line and also I would lose my discount. Sooo, I’m not making a change, just thought it was interesting. They also said the plaid came standard with 21’s. 🤦‍♂️
yea my houston dealer kept persisting 21s was standard too 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
View attachment 680811
This is my 17 year old nephews car, runs 8.43, and as you notice has plates and street legal when they divert exhaust, if he pulls up beside you, he won't be grinning...
Counterpoint: If he pulls up beside me and his exhaust is running illegal and he has his drag radials on, I'll just wait the 2 miles it takes for him to run out of gas.