Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick note. I picked up my Plaid on Tuesday morning and immediately took a 500 road trip for a family funeral. As a 5+ year Model S driver, I was surprised about how much the new UI has changed. I found myself using voice commands to get things done instead of going to the screen.
I was especially impressed with the quietness of the car, best by far. I had no issue with the yoke or lack of stalks. I did get a number of unintended wiper sprays. And I could not find a trip battery range display or a way to display tire pressures (except in service screen), but I've spent more time with this tread catching up than reading the owner's manual. Overall assessment, this Plaid is 50% more than my 2015 85D for 3 times the car.

And to Matt from Charleston, sorry I missed seeing you yesterday at the detail shop. Hope your ride home was awesome!

Just a quick note. I picked up my Plaid on Tuesday morning and immediately took a 500 road trip for a family funeral. As a 5+ year Model S driver, I was surprised about how much the new UI has changed. I found myself using voice commands to get things done instead of going to the screen.
I was especially impressed with the quietness of the car, best by far. I had no issue with the yoke or lack of stalks. I did get a number of unintended wiper sprays. And I could not find a trip battery range display or a way to display tire pressures (except in service screen), but I've spent more time with this tread catching up than reading the owner's manual. Overall assessment, this Plaid is 50% more than my 2015 85D for 3 times the car.

And to Matt from Charleston, sorry I missed seeing you yesterday at the detail shop. Hope your ride home was awesome!
With the lack of buttons I'm using voice a lot more too.

How did your range and supercharging times work out? I've got an out and back 700 mile each way trip next week. I did it in my 2016 and the supercharging took a lot of time, especially with the hot weather. Hoping the plaid does better with range, AC, and charge time.

I completely agree. It really makes no sense to reduce the regen. Driving with one foot is a much improved way to control the car, and why not maximize the energy efficiency and save the brake pads at the same time? Brake dust is also eliminated, keeping those wheels clean!

I understand the concern coming from an ICE. The first thing people naturally want to do is turn regen off or to a low setting. I have had several friends and family members switch from ICE to Tesla’s, and this is their primary concern. I usually just advise them to practice driving with full regen with creep disabled and it never takes more than a few days to adjust. They adjust rapidly and end up loving it quickly realizing that it is not only easier but also superior.

If the deceleration is jerky and uncomfortable, you are simply not modulating the accelerator properly.
Nah! Regardless, the option should be there and will come in real handy for early adopters and for people like me 😉
Let's not support Tesla for take away options that are useful to some of us.

The question is how ancient is this rule and whether it should be adjusted for cars with appropriate braking systems vs a 1995 Honda Civic hatch with no hood and 5 turbos on a 1.8L engine weighting in at 2000lbs 😅
This is part of it and has been an issue for a while. There’s a lot of cars where with a few grand in mods are ineligible to run based on outdated nhra guidelines.

You can’t compare a 90s fox body to modern day, cars, and these rules need revisions. The difference in drama between an 8 sec old school car and say an 8sec gtr is staggering. Not to mention just overall better safety engineering, construction, materials, brakes, etc.

Luckily there’s plenty of tracks across the country that do private rentals/events where they don’t enforce nhra rules. Been to many of them.

I'm so jealous of all these stories of people with SAs that genuinely care about their orders and the customer experience, even if they're un- or misinformed. I have never once gotten a call from my SA since I placed my order exactly 5 months ago, and I've called them 3-4 times in all that time to get a status because my website is almost always blank for est delivery window. Every time I do, they make it abundantly clear to me that not only does Tesla not tell them anything, but that they would just prefer I go away and don't bother them. "Your car will be ready when you receive a VIN." Look, I'm sure they're in a shitty spot too, but the least they could do as a company taking orders for an $80k car is to put on a good face and try to help make suggestions - as it appears there actually ARE things you can do to get bumped in the line, so to speak - on how to achieve your goals. In point of fact, isn't that exactly what the $100 non-refundable fee is paying for? Cause it's certainly not paying for the guy that's coding the estimated delivery date website, I'll tell you that...

Today I had a question about my trade-in, and they were flat out combative with me. I explained that I had been issued trade-in valuations twice, but both have expired, and when I did get another one recently, Tesla's page wouldn't let me apply it to my order already in progress. He (grudgingly) looks up my file - the first time he's even asked for my info - and (with a heaping dose of attitude) tells me that I'll need to bring the car to the dealership (about 50 mins away) to have a new trade in value done since it's expired twice already.

This "customer service" is the worst I've ever experienced. I'm honestly not even sure why Tesla has a SA staff. They literally do nothing. Everything that matters is either automated or done by delivery agents.

/rant
I whole heartedly agree. I think they need to do away with SAs since most of them don't do jack and don't know jack. They need to be replaced with ****ing vending machines. At least you'll know what you're getting at a vending machine. This is such bullshit. Their customer service is such a mess. I don't understand why nobody in Twitter tags Elon and brings his attention to this *sugar*. It seems like until an influencer or a celebrity doesn't tag Elon to notify him publicly of this crap he won't fix it at all. I swear if Tesla can up its customer service it can truly become unbeatable. It's sad.

I went by the dealership this afternoon to see about the possibility of changing my 19’s to 21’s and without losing the 2k Pre refresh discount. Talked to The Who room of about 5 SA’s and non of them thought there was any delays because of 19’s. All said that a change in the order would put be back in line and also I would lose my discount. Sooo, I’m not making a change, just thought it was interesting. They also said the plaid came standard with 21’s. 🤦‍♂️
They're ****ing idiots and at this point it's proven that 21" gets you a VIN of not a delivery within a couple of weeks 😂

Reactions: HumanInput
I have a order in since mid December for LR 19s MSM/ black. RN number 1142. I live in Fresno which is just a couple hours from Fremont. Don’t even have a date. For a one week span and I had a date as of June, and then it disappeared.
It was June because they made your config and then slapped 21" wheels on it and delivered it to somebody else

The Plaid has literally double the HP. The Turbo S or GT2 RS are the only ones that are reasonably comparable.
I mean...the price is pretty comparable though. Not sure why it's only fair to compare output to output.

But yeah, this is a very different car, and no doubt superlative at what it's designed to do. As fast as the Plaid is, it still doesn't have the cachet, pedigree, or well roundedness (from a performance driving perspective) of a GT3. Then again, you could say exactly the opposite when it comes to ability to comfortably move people and luggage!

Can one of you who plan to debadge send me your plaid badge? I am getting my calipers painted red and chrome delete in 2 weeks. Once I slap the badge, my slow LR+ will convert to the plaid I wanted, with red calipers, round steering wheel and FUSC 😀
PM me your address and if this car ever comes I’ll send it right away

There are multiple half mile events near the central Florida area. By that time I will also have my unplugged performance enhancements to further increase performance. There is a good 400-500 pound weight reduction possible. Oh yes, I have been speaking with them about this.
Hopefully the 163mph speed limiter is lifted. A 1/2 mile would be pretty lame being stuck at 163 and wanting more.

With the lack of buttons I'm using voice a lot more too.

How did your range and supercharging times work out? I've got an out and back 700 mile each way trip next week. I did it in my 2016 and the supercharging took a lot of time, especially with the hot weather. Hoping the plaid does better with range, AC, and charge time.
Supercharging was much faster at V3 than my old 2015 Model S 85D as one would expect. And I could have made the 4 hour trip home without charging but after 2 hours in the car, I need a rest room break so might as well do it at a Supercharger. A full charge was 340 miles on 21" Arachnoids.