Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, back from the spa:
Would you mind sharing a rough cost? I want to have essentially the same thing done when I get mine and want to know what I’m in for!

@EVonly I have no idea why you would disagree with this sentiment. An option others like, but you don't, and you disagree that others should have it? I could understand not agreeing with something that affects you, but clearly this affect no one that doesn't want it, but everyone who does.
I don’t disagree that others should have it. I’m all about choice and I agree that Tesla shouldn‘t be making this decision for people. I think the car should have multiple levels of regen so people can adjust it however they feel most comfortable. In the case that you mentioned, with your wife driving it occasionally, it definitely makes sense.

I just don’t think it is a necessary feature for someone that drives the car daily, because once you learn how to modulate the accelerator properly it provides a lot of added benefit. Most people learn to love the regen after a few days and when they go back to an ICE that doesn’t slow down without the brake pedal it is quite startling. The regen provides a sense of control that I feel like I lose when I switch back to an ICE vehicle. Anyways, I have a 2020 Y that has or had two levels of regen and the 2021 Y only has one level. For me personally, I don’t miss not having the lower option.

Is the windshield a source of heat on sunny days, that you feel a need to tint it?
TBH, first time I am trying tint on the windshield, but is certainly, but yes, it is source of heat midday. One thing I have noticed is my phone kinda gets hot, when the sun is high, so I hope this helps with that.

I don’t disagree that others should have it. I’m all about choice and I agree that Tesla shouldn‘t be making this decision for people. I think the car should have multiple levels of regen so people can adjust it however they feel most comfortable. In the case that you mentioned, with your wife driving it occasionally, it definitely makes sense.
From my understanding if Tesla offers it as an option they have to do multiple EPA test runs with each option and then average them together to get the final EPA estimated figures. So by having an option to reduce or eliminate regen it causes more work, expense, the reported is shorter, and the reported MPGe is lower.

From my understanding if Tesla offers it as an option they have to do multiple EPA test runs with each option and then average them together to get the final EPA estimated figures. So by having an option to reduce or eliminate regen it causes more work, expense, the reported is shorter, and the reported MPGe is lower.
That seems like it just can' be true. EPA estimated range should be based on best case scenario. If it is true, then that means they didn't make as much improvement to the range as we thought. They just raised the average by eliminating options.

Do they now have to do an estimate for using the brakes too?

From my understanding if Tesla offers it as an option they have to do multiple EPA test runs with each option and then average them together to get the final EPA estimated range. So by having an option to reduce or eliminate regen it causes more work, expense, the reported is shorter, and the reported MPGe is lower.
That would explain why Tesla has eliminated the option. They have become much more focused on efficiency, and range and it really isn’t very difficult to adjust your driving style. If the lower regen options are on there - then that is what most ICE drivers will immediately feel comfortable with. They will set it on the least amount of regen possible and never bother learning how to drive it by modulating the accelerator. This will result in lower efficiency of the entire Tesla fleet. For a company that is trying to transition the world to renewable energy and lower greenhouse gas emissions, it makes sense why they decided to eliminate the choice. They can then offer the Plaid to performance enthusiasts that don’t care at all about efficiency, because it is such a small percentage of the pie that it is pretty insignificant. Lower efficiency on the entire Tesla fleet is a much bigger issue.

Last edited:

I just don’t think it is a necessary feature for someone that drives the car daily, because once you learn how to modulate the accelerator properly it provides a lot of added benefit. Most people learn to love the regen after a few days and when they go back to an ICE that doesn’t slow down without the brake pedal it is quite startling. The regen provides a sense of control that I feel like I lose when I switch back to an ICE vehicle. Anyways, I have a 2020 Y that has or had two levels of regen and the 2021 Y only has one level. For me personally, I don’t miss not having the lower option.
Agree 💯%. Got used to 1-pedal driving with the Jag I-Pace EV in the first 10 min of driving it; always drove with regen on High…Jag EV has high (full regen) & low (almost no regen and you need to brake). I almost never used my brake, except when coming to a full stop and loved it…wouldn’t drive an EV without it. In fact, I learned to use accelerator modulation to my advantage on cornering, highway on ramps/off ramps,taking turns, & slowing to stop lights and stop signs…it just works super well!

In fact, I thought it’s very odd that the Porsche Taycan doesn’t have traditional regen with 1-pedal driving; the P car regens battery charge by actually using the brake (huh???)…so it adds battery charge when you apply the brakes. I think that’s really strange. Perhaps Porsche does this so you’ll have to continue spending thousands of dollars buying new brake pads and rotors as usual (most likely with Porsche for their oem equipment)? 🤔

Anyhow, I really think those ppl who haven’t driven an EV before and are somewhat concerned about the 1-pedal driving / regen, please DON’T be! You’ll probably really love it and won’t want to drive any other way!!! 👍🏻😎

Last edited: