Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why some people tend to lean towards switching to percentage and leaving it alone. Probably because Tesla has us conditioned into expecting the loss of miles. My 2020 performance was supposed to give 348 miles on full charge and app. 310 miles at 90% charge which only lasted for for a couple of week. After a couple of week it dropped to 338 miles and is now at 328 miles lol so yeah switching to percentage takes that headache away, however, it's like taking care of the symptom and not the problem itself. I wish this severe drop in miles won't happen but then again it's probably unrealistic and may be other EVs have the same issue
The range is best guess estimate by the BMS, it's not something that can be measured like a baking recipe.

It's definitely possible. Most likely he will just do his first impression video, like he said, and then his instrumented tests will follow a little later. :)

I am sure he already has the prefect locations picked out to do his testing. or maybe he just does the first test at his drag strip. either way....super awesome.

East Coast 19" Wheel Config not expected until late July, early August. Nothing has shipped from the factory as of yet.

Edit: Hate being the guy who mentions the delays, but I share what I hear. The next time I post, it'll be a positive one... Unless I'm told more bad news...
@sam3194
Any chance you’ve got some info on what’s happened/happening with vehicles spotted back in May with the lighter silver Tempest wheels?

The link below appears to show dozens of vehicles with lighter silver Tempest, dated 05/31/2021:

4AACC748-2615-470B-A49A-894AB3C9993E.jpeg

Last edited:
The car has Prestige Spectra Photosync IRD SPH30 film. It has visible light transmitted at 30% and 99.5% UV rejection.

Why choose Spectra PhotoSync IRD®?

View attachment 681901
Where did you have it installed. I’m in LA
And all I have found is Extreme autowerks in Brea. They seem to have a good rep. Pricey and a bit of a haul for me.
Do you know of any installers in LA or
Just the ones in San Diego are.

I could have sworn there was a video where someone was in their garage showing that as the yoke turned, the headlights turned with it.
This is the one I had posted a while back. It does seem that the effect is from more lights coming on rather than the existing lights turning/pivoting.

This is the one I had posted a while back. It does seem that the effect is from more lights coming on rather than the existing lights turning/pivoting.

So it was a GIF and some 250+ pages back. Glad I am only semi-crazy.

Edit: also appreciate you posting it and linking back to it!

Where did you have it installed. I’m in LA
And all I have found is Extreme autowerks in Brea. They seem to have a good rep. Pricey and a bit of a haul for me.
Do you know of any installers in LA or
Just the ones in San Diego are.
I have used Tim Coats @ Adonis Detail for several years. He does top notch work with only the best quality materials. He is located in Vista, CA so that would be a bit of a drive for you. He is a perfectionist and will redo anything you are not satisfied with, or not charge you until he gets it perfect for you. He is a stand up guy and I can highly recommend his work.

Thanks for the update @sam3194
This is actually better news than I anticipated.
Probably means 19” orders to the Bay Area (factory pickup) can start later this month, yes?

Unsure on specifics for West Coast deliveries. I was told they usually do East Coast first as it takes 10 days to get there and then handle West Coast and then Mid Country.

@sam3194
Any chance you’ve got some info on what’s happened/happening with vehicles spotted back in May with the lighter silver Tempest wheels?

The link below appears to show dozens of vehicles with lighter silver Tempest, dated 05/31/2021:

View attachment 681910

I asked about these as well and was answered "That is an excellent question" with no further comment.

--

Just got this email survey from Tesla. It's safe to say I will be brutally honest.

Edit: Brutally Honest does not begin to describe how I will be wording this survey.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 1.42.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 1.42.07 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
I don't know why some people tend to lean towards switching to percentage and leaving it alone. Probably because Tesla has us conditioned into expecting the loss of miles. My 2020 performance was supposed to give 348 miles on full charge and app. 310 miles at 90% charge which only lasted for for a couple of week. After a couple of week it dropped to 338 miles and is now at 328 miles lol so yeah switching to percentage takes that headache away, however, it's like taking care of the symptom and not the problem itself. I wish this severe drop in miles won't happen but then again it's probably unrealistic and may be other EVs have the same issue
Several reasons, and none of them are because I'm conditioned by Tesla, I can assure you. It's no different than ICE cars range estimates (worse, actually), which I was already well aware are completely unusable. My previous Audi S5 sportback reported a range of 320 miles every single time I filled it up. Within 20 miles it was always down in the mid 200s. At best. Even if I literally drove it from gas station to gas station using nothing but highway while driving the rated speed, I would never get 320.

Tesla's rated range is even MORE inaccurate, because it doesn't factor parasitic power drain from things like sentry mode and summon quick start. Those are a significant factor in how much actual mileage you can get out of a car, especially if you mostly drive it around town. Add to that the variables like elevation change, wind direction, speed, traffic, temperature, and a whole host of others, and it just makes the rated range displayed when you charge the car completely useless. I get in the car and it says 300, but one day I could drive 20 miles and see 275 left, and the next it might show 265 left. It's just not useful.

The only way to get a useful measure of range is to plug in your destination and see how much battery/range the car estimates you'll have when you arrive. At least that factors some of the above, and can usually be mentally adjusted for things like driving speed (e.g. I know I'll never make the rated range because I typically drive 75-80 in a 70 zone).

I don't watch the battery meter either, tbh, but at least I find it useful to know what percentage I'm at relative to a full charge.

Regarding loss of miles, yeah, it's a factor, but not that much. Software version and season (temp) often have a much larger effect on rated range. I track mine with TeslaFi, but much like my ETF portfolio, I'm not checking it every day.

Last edited:
The only way to get a useful measure of range is to plug in your destination and see how much battery/range the car estimates you'll have when you arrive. At least that factors some of the above, and can usually be mentally adjusted for things like driving speed (e.g. I know I'll never make the rated range because I typically drive 75-80 in a 70 zone).
Destination (specifically, next charge stop or final stop if it's the end) is the only charge level I watch on a long trip. If it's creeping down too much I back off the accelerator a bit.

Am I the only that gets excited when I have to re-login to my Tesla account (instead of refreshing) thinking that someone assigned me a VIN and kicked me out of my session? 😂 I refresh the page as much as I refresh this thread (sigh).

Oh since I'm on a plane and travelbored, one other observation:

When I was at the Naperville store, I watched them carefully unload three refresh cars and then the truck left with 5 more to deliver, presumably elsewhere in Chicagoland. As the truck left, it dragged the ones on the top of the carrier along a tree and I cringed the cringiest cringe ever. If you want to know why they show up with scratches from the factory, I've witnessed a rea

You have no idea how many times I almost said f… that and just put in my order. This is not helping. :)

So I’m starting to feel as I never ordered a car. Starting to feel as if I purchased this photo of a car for $100.

As if it’s some sort of NFT 🤔
Amen....

For those of you curious about the headlight performance, I found this video. It appears they have improved the beams but they still don't have the side illumination and crisp cutoff of the new Model 3 or Y headlights.
WAIT. WHAT? Is that guy sitting in the backseat and having the MS Plaid drive the car with FSD to CVS???? I thought this was impossible. Or was that only because he's already in the CVS parking lot? 🤔 o_O I thought even with FSD, you have to be sitting in the driver's seat? I'm confused.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: HumanInput
East Coast 19" Wheel Config not expected until late July, early August. Nothing has shipped from the factory as of yet.

Edit: Hate being the guy who mentions the delays, but I share what I hear. The next time I post, it'll be a positive one... Unless I'm told more bad news...
Great, those of us in the NE will receive our S just in time to have the snow tires installed. Niceee

WAIT. WHAT? Is that guy sitting in the backseat and having the MS Plaid drive the car with FSD to CVS???? I thought this was impossible. Or was that only because he's already in the CVS parking lot? 🤔 o_O I though even with FSD, you have to be sitting in the driver's seat? I'm confused.
he's a passenger when it's in summons mode controlled by another guy.