Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not so much the CF interior trim as it is a specific ext color/interior seat color/trim combination. Brooks from DragTimes.con just received his red MS Plaid w/ black seats & carbon fiber interior trim. But, me, I have white ext with white seats and carbon fiber trim and that’s a no-go…likely Aug, hoping not delayed until Sept at this point. I ordered 2/5/21.

I don’t think there’s much rhyme or reason we can make of what’s going to be available. I just ordered a blue Plaid with black/CF interior. Site clear as day says CF is September before you even place the order. My account, though, says July. The reality? Who even knows.

Oh, and how many times within the first 48 hours is it normal to refresh your order status? Asking for a friend.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, but how well do you feel the auto gear selection works? Maybe there's a video of that in action? I don't remember seeing one but I may have missed it.

The only one I saw was of a tint shop owner trying it on a customer Plaid, but it didn't look like he really knew how to make it work. I expect if you want the car to select reverse, for example, you may need to turn, stop, then turn the wheel the other way like you're going to back in. He just turned, stopped, then expected the car to shift.
Here is @omarsultan video for it. AutoShift Demo

Reminder, it is an only auto-shift out of park. From what I have seen and read (reservation holder), it works well. And others seem to comment that it is working well. TeslaRaj also did a demo of it even with people standing in front of the car to test the auto-selector.

I’m starting to reconsider Plaid. I’m actually starting to reconsider getting a Tesla altogether but not as much as reconsidering getting Plaid vs LR. Extra 40k for one more motor of a car I might not get for the next who knows how many months just doesn’t sound as appealing anymore. I’ve already stopped watching videos and looking at pics, it just stirs up my disappointment in this company. Anyone have any input? Stick with Plaid because it’ll be “historical” or just do a reasonable thing and switch to LR?

With that being said there’s a chance I might just flake out all together and say **** Tesla. Get another new ICE car and ride it out for the next 5 years to see if Tesla gets their sugar together or someone else will make a competition product. At this point I have no investment into the EV world and all of the experiences so far have just been disappointing lol.

Here is @omarsultan video for it. AutoShift Demo

Reminder, it is an only auto-shift out of park. From what I have seen and read (reservation holder), it works well. And others seem to comment that it is working well. TeslaRaj also did a demo of it even with people standing in front of the car to test the auto-selector.
Great, thank you (and Omar for the vid). I did not realize it was only shift out of park (and into it, I believe?) for now.

When I brought my car in twice (once for MCU2 upgrade and once for windshield replacement) I found that requesting a loaner in the app during the initial ticket entry and picking the first time of the day works best. Could get Tesla loaner the first time and ICE loaner the second time. Most recently was about 2 months ago. Could be service center location dependent I suppose.
I think it depends on the sc location and how many loaners (if any) they have available. The last time I took in my P100D (early ‘21,) I was offered Uber credits. About 6 months earlier, I was given a loaner.

I’m starting to reconsider Plaid. I’m actually starting to reconsider getting a Tesla altogether but not as much as reconsidering getting Plaid vs LR. Extra 40k for one more motor of a car I might not get for the next who knows how many months just doesn’t sound as appealing anymore. I’ve already stopped watching videos and looking at pics, it just stirs up my disappointment in this company. Anyone have any input? Stick with Plaid because it’ll be “historical” or just do a reasonable thing and switch to LR?

With that being said there’s a chance I might just flake out all together and say **** Tesla. Get another new ICE car and ride it out for the next 5 years to see if Tesla gets their sugar together or someone else will make a competition product. At this point I have no investment into the EV world and all of the experiences so far have just been disappointing lol.
If the performance matters and you can ‘comfortably’ get the plaid, then I’d go for it. That said, if getting plaid is a bit of a stretch financially, then I’d definitely go LR..

Edit: I think we’ve all felt the same as you about Tesla. If you’ve never owned a Tesla, I’d hang in there. The cars are amazing 🥂

Great, thank you (and Omar for the vid). I did not realize it was only shift out of park (and into it, I believe?) for now.
I would not correlate the new auto-shifting feature as "new" to shift into park, but more so just a safety feature. Here is how Tesla will "auto-shift" into park and this has been around for years.
Model S automatically shifts into Park whenever it is determined that you are exiting the vehicle. For example, the driver's seat belt is unbuckled and the vehicle is stopped. Model S also automatically shifts into Park when the driver's door is opened or if no action is taken within one minute of shifting into a driving gear.

If the performance matters and you can ‘comfortably’ get the plaid, then I’d go for it. That said, if getting plaid is a bit of a stretch financially, then I’d definitely go LR..
Not a stretch by any means, nor am I rich, but, no matter how much money you have to spend on a car I think you have to be reasonable with it to get the best value for yo buck. I was full force Plaid but over the past month the hype has died and the waiting just made me not even want it anymore. Like my body is starting to reject wanting something I can’t have 😅😅. As if it’s protecting itself from unnecessary stress. Now I’m thinking if I switch to LR, I might have to wait even longer and then just give up all together.

I used to brag and hype up Tesla to my friends and family and now I honestly don’t even want to mention it because I feel like the disappointment it would bring to them, if they were to get one, would also poorly reflect on me.

If everyone was waiting in line to get something, that’s reasonable, let’s go down the line and get our sugar. But the nonsense selfish atrocious games Tesla has been playing, just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: and by “get one” I mean place a $100 order for the NFT art, and wait in uncertainty for several months or maybe a year to possibly get an actual car

Last edited:
Not a stretch by any means, nor am I rich, but, no matter how much money you have to spend on a car I think you have to be reasonable with it to get the best value for yo buck. I was full force Plaid but over the past month the hype has died and the waiting just made me not even want it anymore. Like my body is starting to reject wanting something I can’t have 😅😅. As if it’s protecting itself from unnecessary stress. Now I’m thinking if I switch to LR, I might have to wait even longer and then just give up all together.

I used to brag and hype up Tesla to my friends and family and now I honestly don’t even want to mention it because I feel like the disappointment it would bring to them, if they were to get one, would also poorly reflect on me.

If everyone was waiting in line to get something, that’s reasonable, let’s go down the line and get our sugar. But the nonsense selfish atrocious games Tesla has been playing, just puts a bad taste in my mouth.
In fairness, Tesla is not the only company currently dealing with shortages and delays. However, I’m not giving them a pass for their horrible communication.
I totally understand your point but I’m probably a bit more tolerant only because this will be my 2nd Tesla. If you have the ability to meet up with folks from the forum who have taken delivery, that might help. If I get my car and you’re still waiting, happy for you to check out mine and take it for a rip. You have to come to NY though 🤣😂

Yes, the car was in drag strip mode with cheetah stance enabled. The software is obviously limiting the car down low in the 0-30 range. It is a completely different sensation than my old Ludicrous car. The initial jolt off the line is noticeably weaker than my P90DL resulting in a 0-60 that is maybe 2/10ths of a second slower to 60. It definitely feels like it makes up for that loss higher up, because from 70-100 it continues to pull really hard where my P90 seemed to die off. I wouldn’t be surprised to find that they have similar 1/4 mile times. I’m hoping I can find a way to prove this later today. More Dragy results coming!
I would like to see P90DL numbers next to Plaid numbers. I have both cars right now, but I'll be selling the P90DL next week. Maybe I should buy a Dragy and get some hard data.

(Question for any refresh owner)

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, but how well do you feel the auto gear selection works? Maybe there's a video of that in action? I don't remember seeing one but I may have missed it.

The only one I saw was of a tint shop owner trying it on a customer Plaid, but it didn't look like he really knew how to make it work. I expect if you want the car to select reverse, for example, you may need to turn, stop, then turn the wheel the other way like you're going to back in. He just turned, stopped, then expected the car to shift.
Here: AutoShift Demo

When I brought my car in twice (once for MCU2 upgrade and once for windshield replacement) I found that requesting a loaner in the app during the initial ticket entry and picking the first time of the day works best. Could get Tesla loaner the first time and ICE loaner the second time. Most recently was about 2 months ago. Could be service center location dependent I suppose.
The other thing the works for we is to get the earliest in the day appointment possible.

I saw a video that showed the person single or double taping both scroll knobs at the same time on the steering wheel and the gear selectors lit up and became functional.
Wow... I never would have thought of that... nor does it make sense. I'll try that and report back. I can say there must be another method as I've seen the buttons light up and I certainly didn't double press both scroll wheels.

Thanks for the tip Rambino!

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Thx. If you have it enabled, then it will shift into park when you unbuckle your seatbelt. I know it sounds trivial, but its kinda useful--one less thing to do.