Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s an excellent analysis of Plaid vs. LR. There really is little reason to get a Plaid over a LR unless $50k doesn’t matter to you and you have to have the fastest version. That being said, decades ago I realized when getting a car I regretted not getting the top model once, and haven’t made that mistake again. But there comes a point where the “second best” is so damn good that there’s less reason to get the next one, particularly when it’s $50k more. The only justification other than power is you move to the front of the production line. So there’s that…
I have been on the fence between the two. I agree with everything. LR is a much better value. It is quick enough. Plaid doesn't really have anything over the LR besides the stupid quick acceleration.

However, for 50k$ more you don't just get more power. You get 400 more hp. You get a car that has Formula 1 level acceleration. It beats Bugattis up to 150mph (maybe more). It will embarass every (stock) Supercar/Hypercar ever made. If it wasn't for the ultra low volume Rimac, literally no production car in the world can touch it. All of this is not super important, but people had to pay stupid amount of money to get that kind of acceleration, now we can have that and more for only 50k$. So in a way, the Plaid is the bargain of the century.

I would love to be able to provide a full 1/4 mile time, but finding a safe and suitable location is exceedingly difficult in Southern California. I don’t have access to any drag strips and finding an area that is flat and remote enough is next to impossible. I found one area and measured the slope and it generated an invalid Dragy result. Since the slope cannot exceed 1% and the trap speed will be approaching 125mph, it seems next to impossible outside of an actual drag strip. I can probably get some 1/8 mile times if that would help.
A 1/8 would be good, but make sure to reach 100mph in case the 1/8 is over before that, as 0-100mph is a great measure of acceleration potential.

I have been on the fence between the two. I agree with everything. LR is a much better value. It is quick enough. Plaid doesn't really have anything over the LR besides the stupid quick acceleration.

However, for 50k$ more you don't just get more power. You get 400 more hp. You get a car that has Formula 1 level acceleration. It beats Bugattis up to 150mph (maybe more). It will embarass every (stock) Supercar/Hypercar ever made. If it wasn't for the ultra low volume Rimac, literally no production car in the world can touch it. All of this is not super important, but people had to pay stupid amount of money to get that kind of acceleration, now we can have that and more for only 50k$. So in a way, the Plaid is the bargain of the century.
Absolutely excellent points! My exact thoughts. It's actually kind of funny how people are comparing them as if it's just the one lowly motor that makes the 50k difference. In many cases on the street, the Plaid is actually faster than an F1 car, as it doesn't have to spin its wheels; it just goes!
It isn't about 'flexing', it's about the ability to beat the crap out of literally every supercar currently on the streets! If people really wanted to flex, they would buy a flashy supercar, not a family sedan!😎

Last edited:
I had not tried to contact Tesla in the last few weeks since I ordered Plaid and cancelled the +, so with all notes flying here I gave it a shot. Remember, he said should be a couple of weeks beginning of June.

-------------------------------------------------

Hi Richard,
I wondered if you have any idea when my car will be built? Any info would be appreciated. After reading posts on the Tesla Owners Group I am very excited.

Thanks,
David
RN115109284
-----------------------------------
Hi David,

Thanks for your message. We are just awaiting a vin number to be assigned from our Production team. Once a vin is assigned then we will be able to get you on the schedule for a pick-up.

I would guess only a couple more weeks.

Best,

Richard Martinus

Ownership Loyalty

---------------------------
As you can see from his comment, he has no clue either. I am still blank. If you don't have someone is scheduling it could be very haphazard.

P85 2014 Whitehott

2021 Plaid White, White/Black, Carbon Fiber, 21s, FSD ordered June 6th, said June now blank. Arizona

FYI I saw a Porsche Taycan (Not the Turbo S) in person yesterday...

The 2021 MS looks SOOOOOO much more bad ass! Just the rear tire size from behind is so much more aggressive!

The cabin space on Porsche looks cramped to me.
I don’t get the Porsche and the range that’s about half the Tesla’s range, let alone the “styling”. I can’t even pronounce that name, so I just go with “Tin Can”.

I own an aftermarket car parts company (not for teslas) and I would like to share my experience on the current environment of delays and shortages so hopefully everyone can understand a bit.

We all are aware of the havoc covid has had on supply chains and factory shut downs etc. and I’m sure you all are aware of various material shortages taking place.

I cannot express enough to you how crazy the world of car parts has been since around January. I have customers that ordered parts in Dec/Jan and they are still waiting. I try to update them the best I can but the problem is the manufacturers on the actual part also often have very little idea when it will actually be produced and shipped.

The order I mentioned above was for an exhaust system, what happened first is the manufacturer was backlogged due to the factory having to close for covid (basically a labor shortage) then once they reopened they started cranking them out as fast as possible. Well every other company did the same thing so they drained the raw materials very quickly. Now they have plenty of time and labor but there is a stainless steel shortage. Finally after the raw material arrives they produce it and send it on a boat. Well now everyone did that too, so now there is a jamb at the sea port with cargo ships sitting idle for weeks! Finally it arrives in the states and customs is backlogged so it takes a week longer to clear than usual.

So when a customer asks “why hasn’t my order shipped” or “why can’t you give me an eta” it’s because there are more factors out of our control right now then in our control.

Now imagine the above scenario compounded by thousands of parts which is what Tesla is dealing with. There is just zero chance that they can give you an accurate ETA unless all the parts are in hand ready to go because likely their manufacturers can’t give them a realistic ETA.

I’m just hoping this sheds some light on why it’s not realistic for Tesla to be able to give everyone ETAs. As far as the complaints about people getting their cars sooner than others. It is most likely the specific model/color/trim you chose that is either speeding it up or slowing it down. For example I might have a customer that’s been waiting on a red intake that is red for 6 months and you order a black one that happens to have just come in stock and it ships immediately.

TLDR: The car parts supply chain is so messed up that they have to choose between giving you an arbitrary date and moving it back a ton likely or just wait until it’s actually predictable.
Add to all of this that one huge cargo ship, the Ever Given, was stuck in legal limbo in Egypt for months until a couple of days ago. Who knows what's on that boat.

Reactions: HumanInput
If it wasn't for the ultra low volume Rimac, literally no production car in the world can touch it. All of this is not super important, but people had to pay stupid amount of money to get that kind of acceleration, now we can have that and more for only 50k$. So in a way, the Plaid is the bargain of the century.
Ahhh the beautiful $2M Remac. Beautiful car.. but there’s a better chance Elon personally delivers the free Roadsters to all of the referral program folks by the end of July vs. ever coming across a Remac Nevera on the road. Plaid is the production car for competitors to try to beat, at least for now.

It’s not only Tesla with delays right now. Try walking into a Porsche dealership and getting a 911. They will laugh at you. Better yet go get a Kia Tellirude; you’ll be paying 5-10l over msrp. I don’t get what the big deal is. So many people on here keep saying they are going to cancel their car and Tesla is a big disappointment, yet they are still here. Most people will likely wait. The Model S refresh is the best car in it’s class and you can get it at msrp. Wait or move on. For those who are using this as a daily driver and sold their car early, that is their own fault. It is pretty stupid to sell a car before your new car comes. Those that really need a car asap and can’t live without one, buy something else. I went into this knowing there would be delays and struggles with production. Back when they announced the car I already expected it. Those that expected to get their car on time or early are just unrealistic fools. I don’t know how half of you get through life if you can’t even be patient for a damn car.
It's not the wait that people are complaining about, it's the lack of information and incorrect estimates. If a company tells you you are getting a car in a certain date range, you expect that to happen. Mocking those who sold their car, based on information provided by Tesla, makes you look like a fool. We all expect delays and supply issues, but most of us also expect the company to be honest about what they tell us. If you say my car will be here in June, it should be here in June. If you can't honor that statement, don't make that statement. Pretty simple to be able to honor your word.

Having the website say you can expect delivery in June on June 30th! has nothing to do with supply chain issues. It's poor management and sub standard customer service. If you cannot see this, then you should be questioning how you managed to get through life, instead of questioning others.

Similar to my offer to @Ramphex, if I get my car and you’re still waiting, you’re welcome to check out mine. I just need the car and we’re good 👌😏.
It’s probably a good idea for first timers (on the fence) to try to meet up with a member who has taken delivery. It’s hard to get an accurate feeling of the car by simply watching videos and reading about it. Have to experience it. Hang in there..
Along those lines, anyone in NorCal willing to make the trek to Sacramento (or you live someplace interesting and I'll make the trek :) ) DM me if you want to check out the car, see if you fit, etc.

It’s not only Tesla with delays right now. Try walking into a Porsche dealership and getting a 911. They will laugh at you. Better yet go get a Kia Tellirude; you’ll be paying 5-10l over msrp. I don’t get what the big deal is. So many people on here keep saying they are going to cancel their car and Tesla is a big disappointment, yet they are still here. Most people will likely wait. The Model S refresh is the best car in it’s class and you can get it at msrp. Wait or move on. For those who are using this as a daily driver and sold their car early, that is their own fault. It is pretty stupid to sell a car before your new car comes. Those that really need a car asap and can’t live without one, buy something else. I went into this knowing there would be delays and struggles with production. Back when they announced the car I already expected it. Those that expected to get their car on time or early are just unrealistic fools. I don’t know how half of you get through life if you can’t even be patient for a damn car.
Pretty sure it’s been repeated that the production delays are NOT the beef most of us have with Tesla.

Just dropped off my MS for clear bra, ceramic coating and window tint. I went with 50% for the windshield. Anyone has had 50%?
Much like other suggestions, I would go the highest percentage VLT your detailer offers. Heat rejection does not change based upon darker tint. Ability to see out (and in) does and that becomes dangerous for your windshield.

~ Other dealerships will clearly give you the estimated delivery timeline unlike in case of Tesla where having a blank delivery date is the norm.

~ People who sold their cars early did so based off of the promised delivery timeline by Tesla. It's not completely their fault.

~ Those expecting their cars on a normal timeline or early have that expectation based off of Tesla handing out cars to people within days notice and ignoring others who have been waiting for months, some literally have been waiting for 8 months or longer.

~ Wait or Move On.

Lol the only fool here is you who thinks that cock riding a corporation will benefit you personally in any way. *sugar* talking people who are upset due to to poor communication only makes you look like a bigger moron than you're perceiving others to be. If only everyone else was as special as you to correctly predict the delivery delays and lower their expectations a bit, right? You reek of arrogance my guy. Get off your high horse and give people benefit of the doubt. Some are rightfully upset due to poor communication from Tesla. If people are given a proper delivery timeline directly from Tesla not many would complain.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Telling people to take it or leave it is indicative of you being a prick. You don't get hand outs from Tesla for being an asshat to people on the forums and it doesn't expedite your delivery either so why do it? Doesn't make any sense.

I do agree with @VolcanoTacos. He did a better job explaining the reasoning behind possible delays. At least he isn't there calling people fools for expecting proper communication from the company.