Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your car will come with a mobile charger but the plug it comes with is for a 120v wall socket good for maybe 4 miles an hour. You’ll need to buy the 240 adapter and more importantly get a 240 outlet installed near where you want to charge the car. You can buy the Tesla wall charger but I’ve found just using the mobile charger a cheaper solution. Just make sure the guy that installs your 240 outlet runs 40amps and uses the correct faceplate for the outlet to match the Tesla adapter. The first time mine was installed he used a different faceplate and I needed to have him correct it.
I will say the faster charging of the wall charger is pretty nice (48A vs 32A) but even at 32A you're still doing about 24mph depending on your voltage. I get 245V at home but was just at my mother in law's and she's got a 14-50 in the garage, went as low as 228V so it was a bit slower. Pic is at home right now.
Screenshot_20210711-215433_Tesla~2.jpg

Quick question on using 5-15 / standard outlet for charging using the mobile connector - Does it never go into idle state like when using it on 14-50? My Model S seems to be always keeping the charger active. The charge port is always green even if charging is complete and the wall connector’s Tesla logo constantly pulses green.

I use the 14-50 in the garage for the Model Y and it goes completely off once it is done charging. So, I’m using the standard plug for now for the 2nd Tesla.

I know battery charging techniques call for never really charging to a 100% but only doing till 98-99%, then letting it discharge by a few % points and charge up again. Does Tesla do this with the car batteries and if yes, could it be that the power draw from the 5-15 is never sufficient enough for it to ever go fully into idle mode?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Quick question on using 5-15 / standard outlet for charging using the mobile connector - Does it never go into idle state like when using it on 14-50? My Model S seems to be always keeping the charger active. The charge port is always green even if charging is complete and the wall connector’s Tesla logo constantly pulses green.

I use the 14-50 in the garage for the Model Y and it goes completely off once it is done charging. So, I’m using the standard plug for now for the 2nd Tesla.

I know battery charging techniques call for never really charging to a 100% but only doing till 98-99%, then letting it discharge by a few % points and charge up again. Does Tesla do this with the car batteries and if yes, could it be that the power draw from the 5-15 is never sufficient enough for it to ever go fully into idle mode?
It should go idle, it did with my 2016, but it's possible you've got enough phantom drain to keep it active

OK this is probably not the best place (please advise), but I just took a 2-day trip with the Plaid and had a really weird problem. The driver-side rear door kept popping open while supercharging. I definitely heard a motor working in the door repeatedly while I was sitting in the driver's seat during the charging as well. Gonna submit a service request, but anyone else seen this?
Could it be from the electrical current during charging?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Been checking this forum since April, finally making my contribution.

Ordered LR in March. White on cream (Ugly combo but Im getting it painted), 19s, FSD. Cash. EDD in June then disappeared for months.

Last week I walked into Tesla store and told SA to switch to 21s and remove FSD. I knew it would move me to the back of the line but I didn't care (SA did not say this but i just assumed from reading this forum). He submitted a ticket. A few hours later was a price increase.

2 days later I got an email saying my order was updated, no price increase. Prob because ticket was submitted before price change? Or maybe because SA didn't verify that I was ok with price change? No delivery date.

That is also the first time I received the "Welcome to Tesla family" email. I suspected that my order was never really in the system based on lack of communication. I honestly think that the tire change is the reason that an actual person finally looked at my account. It just seemed like my order was finally linked to the tesla server or whatever.

I figured i was at the back of the line so stopped checking this forum and stopped refreshing account page. Yesterday I randomly checked my account and saw EDD July 11-21, this morning July 12-22, a few hours later got a VIN. Delivery date whenever I upload my bank account info.

Now scrambling to order stuff. Does the car come with a charger or do I need to order the $500 one from Tesla?
I believe you're correct about the order not being in the system or some sh*t. Because I placed an order of the same config as mine but with 21" wheels and I got the "Welcome to the Tesla Family" email the next day and it has delivery date of July. So what gives lol?
Why did my order wirh 19" wheels back in May didn't get this courtesy. Something is really fishy here. Also my SA like many other SAs said there's no way for her to make the switch to 21" wheels without adding $14,500 of total price change to my order.
What a garbage way of doing business. They're literally telling people who have sold their cars, don't want another credit check or are tired of waiting to literally pay 10k more to get their cars this month or **** off 🤣

I believe you're correct about the order not being in the system or some sh*t. Because I placed an order of the same config as mine but with 21" wheels and I got the "Welcome to the Tesla Family" email the next day and it has delivery date of July. So what gives lol?
Why did my order wirh 19" wheels back in May didn't get this courtesy. Something is really fishy here. Also my SA like many other SAs said there's no way for her to make the switch to 21" wheels without adding $14,500 of total price change to my order.
What a garbage way of doing business. They're literally telling people who have sold their cars, don't want another credit check or are tired of waiting to literally pay 10k more to get their cars this month or **** off 🤣

From what Ive gathered, the SAs do NOT make the change. They simply submit a ticket stating that you want to make a change. I think theres prob 3-5 people at tesla HQ making the updates to orders, and they are who decide price increase, place in line, etc.

Also this is my first time buying a tesla and Im theorizing so take it with a grain.

I will say the faster charging of the wall charger is pretty nice (48A vs 32A) but even at 32A you're still doing about 24mph depending on your voltage. I get 245V at home but was just at my mother in law's and she's got a 14-50 in the garage, went as low as 228V so it was a bit slower. Pic is at home right now.View attachment 683659
Yep. But as long as your panel can handle more amps to that outlet, better more than less. I had a friend that had a 240 I’d plug into but it was lower amperage and I only got about 14 an hour. Go big or go home!

I went to the garage to say goodnight to my one week old and found my baby had a fever! 🤒 “Charging speed reduced - High temperature detected Mobile Connector” error.
06F4F842-0CCC-42B1-A5F8-1F3F4555FC7C.jpeg
4 Blinking red lights with a green stream at the wall connector - suggests it’s a problem at the wall from a user manual I found online but I also read posts that his happened last year from a firmware bug. I’m running a NEMA 10-30 off 30Amps (planning to install wall charger on own circuit soon) and have had no problems until now. Anyone else after new update dealing with hot stuff? Is it safe to use?

I went to the garage to say goodnight to my one week old and found my baby had a fever! 🤒 “Charging speed reduced - High temperature detected Mobile Connector” error.
View attachment 6836724 Blinking red lights with a green stream at the wall connector - suggests it’s a problem at the wall from a user manual I found online but I also read posts that his happened last year from a firmware bug. I’m running a NEMA 10-30 off 30Amps (planning to install wall charger on own circuit soon) and have had no problems until now. Anyone else after new update dealing with hot stuff? Is it safe to use?
Highly suggest you check the wiring of the plug.....might be loose wire arcing

And it is only you that he (@yamanote) has down voted in 5 years. Maybe he has met you in person? 🤣

I took a shot for every time he felt the need to remind others that he was paying for his car in full, or what he does for a living and how much money he does doing it. I took a double every time he called someone cheap for ordering the 19s, or telling someone if they're looking at finance options that they can't actually afford the car. The constant belittling of other members wore me down, so forgive me for becoming a bit click-happy as I downed all the drink I had available to me.

Didn't think it was necessary to say anything about it - after all, that's what the colorful buttons are for - but hey, he asked. Funny he would get genuinely upset over a bunch of meaningless button clicks 😄

The only emails I ever got from Tesla were to tell me to review my lease agreement the day of my original order, and the day after I put in the req to change to 21. Maybe they only send a welcome email if you buy?
I don’t feel any particular way about it, I/we all just keep finding these inconsistencies in how Tesla communicates. I think it just adds to the questions we all have.

Still blank. White interior and 19" curse is very real. Expect September or October for actual deliveries. Just because they started production doesn't mean we're gonna see them right away. Giving Tesla benefit of the doubt is like shooting yourself in the foot
Plaid/white/white/cf/19". Ordered beginning of April. Still blank, to quote another member," like a Ken doll".

Delivery -
After waiting a hellacious 9 months as a "pre-refresh" order (Oct 2020), and given the run around by Tesla numerous times I quickly learned how this company operated. I'm in a service oriented business, and I know If I ever treated my clients this way, I would not have a business. But I listened to those on this forum that said the car was worth the wait and to ignore the hijinks of the company. So I stayed put. After forking out $4500 for 21's to get my car sooner, I did receive it about 10 days later. Tesla was actually able to deliver 1 day early so that was a plus. However on the day of my delivery they texted me and said that the delivery guy was going to drop off my car and go over everything with me, and give me a tutorial. I said great, and that I also wanted to inspect the car before accepting full delivery and they said no problem. So as my delivery timeframe shrunk and only having a half hour left, I went outside my house and took a look on the street. Three houses down my car was sitting on the street and with nobody in sight. They actually didn't deliver to my address and didn't even let me know my car was there. Literally nothing. No text, no call and I had no idea how long it had been sitting there and I had been waiting around. Furthermore no instructions on how to get in. I went to the app and I had been connected. However the car screen wouldn't wake. I finally meandered to my website account and saw the button to accept delivery. It would have been nice if someone would have told me what to do so I wasn't flying blind for about 45 minutes. So as far as I am concerned, Tesla gets an "F" on delivery and customer service. This isn't a package being dropped off to the wrong house by Amazon, and do what you say you are going to do.
Ok, this is a new record for hilariously idiotic behavior by a company.
Are you sure someone did not try to porch hijack your delivery and found it too heavy to carry more than a few houses down?