Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very presumptuous post, interesting.
If you want these numbers so bad, have you offered to send a LR member your Dragy or Racebox and offered to cover shipping too?
I'm too afraid the owner will be taken away to a secret area where LR 1/4 owners disappear. Ever seen the Prisoner series? They're all LR owners except number 6 who owns a Caterham and why he rightfully feels he shouldn't be there. 😉

BTW I'm really chill, it's just very hard for me to understand that no one actually cares what the LR does in the 1/4. Not even a magazine like Road & Track and others. No one. 🤷‍♂️

I'm too afraid the owner will be taken away to a secret area where LR 1/4 owners disappear. Ever seen the Prisoner series? They're all LR owners except number 6 who owns a Caterham and why he rightfully feels he shouldn't be there. 😉

BTW I'm really chill, it's just very hard for me to understand that no one actually cares what the LR does in the 1/4. Not even a magazine like Road & Track and others. No one. 🤷‍♂️
There have been plenty of Draggy LR posts but the #PlaidPeacockers 🦚 immediately report their posts and have them removed by admin since it really hurts their pride and $45k upcharge pang.

***This was a sarcastic humor joke plaid owners 🤣***

Last edited:
I expected a thumb down from you, not a link to my own thread. 👍
I know you feel this is off topic, but this thread is where all the action is. If anything some acceleration banter changes the mood from where's my VIN or Tesla has the worst customer service of any company in the whole world posts. At least that's how I feel.

Do we know whether the MSLR also uses carbon sleeved motors? I was perusing the EPC site and noticed that the price for the front drive unit is identical on both the Plaid and LR ($4000). The part number is slightly different, but that doesn't necessarily mean the physical hardware is significantly different.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Btw, I'm also the guy who will never put a sticker on his webcam because that's also outright ridiculous lol
So easy to find multiple stories of people who lost their jobs because of a webcam they thought was not active. It's great that you have never been scammed, or been a victim of technology, but these things are real.

Do we know whether the MSLR also uses carbon sleeved motors? I was perusing the EPC site and noticed that the price for the front drive unit is identical on both the Plaid and LR ($4000). The part number is slightly different, but that doesn't necessarily mean the physical hardware is significantly different.
Knowing Tesla it's probably the same. They have a history of sticking it to the customers who pay more for their products. I mean look at Model Y now. It ships with heated steering wheel, double paned glass and now HEPA filter system (Biodefense) as standard. What's next? Air suspension lol
This makes me almost certain that LR also has carbon sleeved rotors just like the Plaid. It's just easier for them production wise but it sure does feel unfair to people who pay significantly more to get a product that almost has the same features in their cheaper products. It's normal for Tesla to operate like this.

Knowing Tesla it's probably the same. They have a history of sticking it to the customers who pay more for their products. I mean look at Model Y now. It ships with heated steering wheel, double paned glass and now HEPA filter system (Biodefense) as standard. What's next? Air suspension lol
This makes me almost certain that LR also has carbon sleeved rotors just like the Plaid. It's just easier for them production wise but it sure does feel unfair to people who pay significantly more to get a product that almost has the same features in their cheaper products. It's normal for Tesla to operate like this.
Yeah I think there is a good chance the LR has carbon sleeved rotors. Tesla just doesn't like to use different parts if the same ones will work. The fewer changes during assembly the better is their philosophy it seems. The rear might not be since they would have to change that anyway and most likely didn't spend $$ designing a new carbon sleeved single rear motor, but who knows.

Really excited to eventually see an actual 1/4 mile time ran with the LR! Hopefully by Christmas something will leak.

The Model S manual seems to indicate that it is not:

1626099715005.png

Correct, actually probably same motors minus cf sleeves. Transmissions are also different between lr and plaid.
The thing that made me question this was the identical part price. I know it is a restricted sale part and whatnot, but the fact they would charge the same for both is weird.|

Edit: meanwhile the plaid rear drive unit is $9000+ and the rear LR drive unit is $2500-ish. Makes me wonder if the front unit on both cars is carbon wrapped and perhaps the rear is not on the LR. The front motor is the "cruise" motor in both cars, so the efficiency of the carbon wrapped would be a benefit to range on the LR.

June 10 order, has always shown August. Wife's Y order was showing July 24 - August 6 until a few days ago, now shows October.
My May LR order continues to show September after showing September and then being blank for a while. I continue to run the configurator and it clearly says on Plaid that 19" wheel deliveries begin in August - So I wouldn't expect anything in July. August is around the corner anyway. I think there's a SMALL chance I'll get a VIN in late August - probably right during a vacation.
From what I have divined it takes about 4 to 5 days to build a car (which blows me away, I figure a major chunk of that time is paint drying) - and I'm absolutely guessing that there are some 450 or so cars in that holding lot built for 19" wheels - maybe rotors, or something else beyond a mere wheel swap to/from 21" - so I'm GUESSING that once the 19" wheels come in from boat, that after unloading, they can be put on the cars in the lot, then it's logistics to get those cars (if it is those cars) to the trucks and trains.
I don't know IF they ARE cranking out S's at the 4-5 day "max speed" - they can be cranking out 3's, Y's, or stuck on cars because they're missing parts or chips - I have no idea.
On vacation i tried the configuration with different countries, and some of them are late or Q4 2022 - so there's demand
the the question is supply and speed of production.
i'd wager they're going as fast as they can - i just don't know if the limitation is supply or at max production capacity.

Well I finally got my LR delivered yesterday. I want to give an honest review. Not a Tesla fanboy here, and this is the first Tesla I have owned. So those who are in the same position can gleam an honest review here. I really wanted to take the time to do this as a thank you to all the people on this forum who shared their knowledge over the last 9 months and have truly been a "support group". I couldn't have made it through without you!

Delivery -
After waiting a hellacious 9 months as a "pre-refresh" order (Oct 2020), and given the run around by Tesla numerous times I quickly learned how this company operated. I'm in a service oriented business, and I know If I ever treated my clients this way, I would not have a business. But I listened to those on this forum that said the car was worth the wait and to ignore the hijinks of the company. So I stayed put. After forking out $4500 for 21's to get my car sooner, I did receive it about 10 days later. Tesla was actually able to deliver 1 day early so that was a plus. However on the day of my delivery they texted me and said that the delivery guy was going to drop off my car and go over everything with me, and give me a tutorial. I said great, and that I also wanted to inspect the car before accepting full delivery and they said no problem. So as my delivery timeframe shrunk and only having a half hour left, I went outside my house and took a look on the street. Three houses down my car was sitting on the street and with nobody in sight. They actually didn't deliver to my address and didn't even let me know my car was there. Literally nothing. No text, no call and I had no idea how long it had been sitting there and I had been waiting around. Furthermore no instructions on how to get in. I went to the app and I had been connected. However the car screen wouldn't wake. I finally meandered to my website account and saw the button to accept delivery. It would have been nice if someone would have told me what to do so I wasn't flying blind for about 45 minutes. So as far as I am concerned, Tesla gets an "F" on delivery and customer service. This isn't a package being dropped off to the wrong house by Amazon, and do what you say you are going to do.

Car Itself -
So this is where the review turns more positive. The car does look beautiful in person. It wasn't hard to let the delivery experience melt away once I sat in the car. I've driven the 2020 Model S and this definitely feels about 5 notches above that. Material quality looks good. Seats are comfortable and it "feels" more like a luxury car more than anything I have ever seen from Tesla. I love the tweed on the door panel and the alcantara throughout. Also the car is extremely quiet. You feel like you are encapsulated. I'm not sure if ANC is working or not, but no issues with sound thus far.

Yoke -
I wasn't one of the ones who was afraid of the yoke or disappointed by it. I was looking forward to it. For me it is super fun to drive. It allows for comfortable hand positions which were already normal for me (9 and 3). I drove an uphill winding road in LA and around the famous curves of Mulholland Drive. Although very odd to see a rectangle on your right or left side when making a hairpin turn, I was still easily able to control the car. One tip, if you think you can let the yoke slide back into position without going through your hands like a regular round wheel, it's not really safe. Use your other hand and hold it from the bottom and help guide it back into position. Negatives - The turns signals require constant visuals because the buttons are so touch sensitive you cannot rest your finger on the notch to find them without setting them off. They really should have put the left signal on the left side, and the right signal on the right side and it would have been much easier to navigate without having to visually engage each time. Biggest mistake in my opinion. Next mistake, not putting the horn on the bottom-center of the wheel. When you go to hold your hand over the complete right area to honk, my windshield wipers turned on with water and messed up my clean windows. So you literally have to look at where the horn button is to not accidentally engage wipers/fluid going off when you honk. Unfortunately neither the signals or the horn situation is going to physically change so it looks like we are stuck with this. Also the airbag cap has the "scar" like other deliveries. Clearly a manufacturing issue, and yes it bugs me. Lastly the yoke is not heating up to a very warm temperature consistent with other heated steering wheels I have used in the past. This will be something sent in to be looked at.

Acceleration -
Why anyone would need faster than this car beyond track racing, is beyond me. It's FAST. It's NIMBLE. It's EXHILARATING. And I haven't even done a launch yet. Two final words. "Meep Meep".

Electronics -
The driver screen is great. I turned on the FSD visualizations and it is very cool and futuristic. The green light "chime" is one of my favorite things ever. At stoplights you will inevitably turn to the center screen out of boredom and that chime lets you know the light has turned green. (FSD only.) The center screen and new UI is way more user friendly, although there are some bugs. My screen has not woken several times and I have needed to do full resets, but I believe it is because I tried to engage sentry mode and it is not working. I cannot connect my phone key on my Android phone, and one of the fobs does not connect. (Hopefully the phone key issue can be repaired). Also I cannot connect to my Youtube account. I cannot find where it automatically pushes back the seats/steering wheel for entry and exit. And lastly I was really looking forward to the tilt screen when they announced the refresh and still sorely miss it. The bottom right of the screen is hidden behind the yoke, and I have to look around it to see when the music player is minimized to that corner. I'm hoping the rumors are true and one day that will be activated, but not holding my breath. All that being said, I can see the potential greatness there once UI 11 is complete.

Build Quality -
I was pleasantly surprised in this area. With all the discussion on panel gaps I only found two gap areas that need attention. On the exterior rear door towards the top molding and on the front hood. They are not the end of the world, but should be corrected. The interior rear door panels that are misaligned are consistent with other deliveries. Everything else looked pretty darn good. The paint looked good and no areas I have noticed yet that looked poorly done or swirly. No noises or rattles.

So the final analysis from two days of ownership. The car itself gets an "A-". Tesla delivery, customer service and experience gets an "F".

I think many of us have that same feeling. Perhaps competition around the corner will force this company into treating it's customers better. Only time will tell. But in the meantime, I'm stepping on my ePedal and leaving that experience in the dust.
It’s seems odd that your new car would be dropped at the wrong address. Back in 2016, I had two people go over the car with me to show me the features. ..Does anyone else recall Musk saying that the cars would drive themselves to your home for delivery in the future.

I hope that your happy with your new MS. The MSM is growing on me. Thanks for sharing your delivery story.

All of the new MS cars have this issue. Mine is a little more subtle, but it is definitely noticeable.

View attachment 683653
My Mercedes S550 has it as well, I've noticed it in the past. I'm wondering if the airbag system makes that wire super hot to melt through the cover, or if the airbag just pops the thing open (then there'd be no reason for a visible wire underneath).