Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They aren’t going to explain those two because there is ongoing litigation around them. Which is eventually going to result in a significant black-eye for Tesla.

disclaimer: I am a victim of both
Me too (well was).

I think that is actually a better example of shitty behavior. The way they surreptitiously applied the OTA update then gaslit owners was 100% BS and generated a lot of unnecessary angst about the underlying reason. A simple communication along the lines of what they did when they took away auto-lowering suspension while dealing with the battery pack punctures was a much better model and I wish they would go back to that approach.

Attachments

• 90C12985-323F-469F-9469-B3099AA316CB.png
    90C12985-323F-469F-9469-B3099AA316CB.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 67
On the surface I completely agree with you, the media coverage of every fire or accident is obnoxious and makes me legitimately mad every damn time. In those instances speculation runs rampant because investigations haven’t happened and there isn’t enough info, so bullshit that gets clicks wins the day.

The difference here is that Tesla knows exactly why they have halted deliveries, and should explain it to (at least) the people waiting for cars. There is no advantage to being opaque here, if the reason is eventually going to be known anyway.
This is what I've been wondering about. I suspect that the force behind most of the non-communication is yet another business decision. They have to weigh the effect of pissing off waiting customers against the effect of divulging information to competitors that would give them an advantage. If there's any kind of shortage, for example, shouting it out to the world would just embolden suppliers to raise prices or bad actors to hoard the resource.

I cannot imagine that it's all like that, but some of it could very well be. It's why I tend to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt, given the scarcity of concrete info.

Congrats! I think this is the VIN posted here starting with 437.
Glad to see Plaid+ converts getting some love. Looks like you had an epic EDD journey..
Agreed about the plaid "plus" converts to "minus" ...I'm sure we're all on their "priority list". In the meantime, I hope the 437 VIN means they've worked out a few of the kinks in the production!

This would be a very different conversation if not for us knowing that a Plaid has burned and at least two other refresh cars have experienced battery failures requiring replacement. Sorry to beat this drum, but there are some obvious teething issues with the new packs, even if they aren’t safety related.

I’ll fire up (too soon?) the speculation-o-matic one more time:

There is an issue with the new packs, but not related to the fire, and they don’t believe it is a safety issue. They don’t want to say anything because people will speculate it related to the fire the moment they bring up batteries.

This would be a very different conversation if not for us knowing that a Plaid has burned and at least two other refresh cars have experienced battery failures requiring replacement. Sorry to beat this drum, but there are some obvious teething issues with the new packs, even if they aren’t safety related.

There is an issue with the new packs, but not related to the fire, and they don’t believe it is a safety issue. They don’t want to say anything because people will speculate it related to the fire the moment they bring up batteries.
I could absolutely see that happening! Excellent synopsis!🙂

This is what I've been wondering about. I suspect that the force behind most of the non-communication is yet another business decision. They have to weigh the effect of pissing off waiting customers against the effect of divulging information to competitors that would give them an advantage. If there's any kind of shortage, for example, shouting it out to the world would just embolden suppliers to raise prices or bad actors to hoard the resource.

I cannot imagine that it's all like that, but some of it could very well be. It's why I tend to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt, given the scarcity of concrete info.
I don’t think any amount of competitive intel on Tesla can help their competitors at this point. It is maddening that no one can keep up with them (figuratively and literally), but competition would be nice and force them to be better at their “soft skills”.

This is the *sugar* I hate about Tesla media coverage--layer speculation on top of more speculation and then report it as news. The only actual fact is that Tesla appears to have slowed down to stopped deliveries, but that headline would not get clicks. This is why I understand Elon's stance on media and PR: hold delivery for QA and you get PR drama, deliver cars and then fix the cars with a recall/TSB/service campaign and you still get PR drama. As much I hate it, the right thing is to keep quiet and not feed the machine.

Based on Tesla's prior behavior, if there was an actual safety issue, Tesla would not screw around, and I have not seen any changes in my car and only received 2 nondescript OTA updates. My guess is that there is something not working quite right and they trying to figure out if they can address it with a software fix or they need a hardware fix. If the former, they need to test and validate it works and if its the latter, it will be simpler and easier to implement if Tesla has possession of the cars.
The right thing is to deliver the car when you said you were going to deliver it (in my case, March) or provide an apology and an honest explanation to the customer for why you haven't done so and disclose when you genuinely expect the delivery to occur so that the customer can make a decision about whether to purchase an alternative car. There really isn't much room for debate about this in my mind. No company with integrity operates the way Tesla operates. This whole fiasco has been a once in a lifetime experience for me.

View attachment 687297
This "Review Agreements" is new for me

@Tholland
Yup I think it’s an website improvement like someone stated. Mine is now checked and states I have signed all the document. however, I did not sign anything else. so I’m assuming it’s just something new that tesla is doing. Or it could be related to the MS hold. Maybe they removed something Like they did on 3/y with radar and we have to confirm that before delivery. I’m really reaching with that statement tho.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Just walked two different service centers in Houston. One had nothing.

The other had eight different Model S. Mostly LR (black, white, red, MSM), Plaids (Black, white, MSM)one with CF.

Of interesting note, one of the Plaids sticker said ‘Model S Plaid TEST’. 431, 05/2021 date of manufacturing.

Additionally, whole *sugar* ton (easily 20+) of 3 and Ys sitting there. None prepared in their ‘normal delivery location’.

That’s all I got.

Edit: how could I forget. No 19s on any of the S.

How did you complete the insurance section, which says it needs proof of insurance showing the new VIN, if you don't have the VIN yet?
View attachment 687399
Just lie. Everyone else did, including me. Just put the insurance from one of your vehicles in there and it will accept it. You can update it once you have a VIN.

Also confused by the range estimates on Tesla's ordering page across models and wheel sizes (I realize Model X is very preliminary as they haven't supposedly built any yet, but still..)

View attachment 687345
I don’t understand what is confusing. LR to Plaid loses you 10-20 miles of range on both. The Tempest gains you 10+ Miles of range but they are only on the S. The difference between the 20” and 22” on the X is minimal, they are not as ‘aero’ or as light as the Tempest. The weight/aero of the X will always give 10-15% less range than the S.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Now that Fred got blocked on Twitter by Elon and kicked out of the 'inner sanctum', he has to get his info from somewhere 🤣
Regarding speculation, I received a voice message from someone named Fred yesterday, inquiring about Elon sleeping in the factory and losing his retainer in the frunk of a Model S.

Now If you think about it , it rings true, as we all have new Agreement Sections on our accounts. We may be asked to return the retainer if we find it in our cars. If I’m right, look for a “Retainer Agreement” to appear for folks whose vehicles are on hold.

Other theories espoused by some—okay me, involve a lost Bitcoin wallet. All Model S are on hold until it is found.