Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the *sugar* I hate about Tesla media coverage--layer speculation on top of more speculation and then report it as news. The only actual fact is that Tesla appears to have slowed down to stopped deliveries, but that headline would not get clicks. This is why I understand Elon's stance on media and PR: hold delivery for QA and you get PR drama, deliver cars and then fix the cars with a recall/TSB/service campaign and you still get PR drama. As much I hate it, the right thing is to keep quiet and not feed the machine.

Based on Tesla's prior behavior, if there was an actual safety issue, Tesla would not screw around, and I have not seen any changes in my car and only received 2 nondescript OTA updates. My guess is that there is something not working quite right and they trying to figure out if they can address it with a software fix or they need a hardware fix. If the former, they need to test and validate it works and if its the latter, it will be simpler and easier to implement if Tesla has possession of the cars.
Or it could be something real simple(but this is taking a bit long for that). Years ago my sisters car had a recall, it affected something like 1,347 cars(yes, that precise). Seems that a torque wrench used to tighten the left front brake caliper had a sensor that malfunctioned. It was sending an OK to the system without really checking. They recalled all the cars built on the line between the last time the wrench was calibrated to when the issue was found. They tested the wrench right away and it applied the correct torque but they still wanted to confirm. Like I said, it is probably not this loose bolt issue for the delivery halt but it could be something similar where everyone that got a car early is fine. Maybe a new procedure or tool was implemented during the production run and a week later someone said “UhHo”.

Do you think deliveries currently expected for October may get delivered in September to pad EOQ numbers?
I talked to my SA a week or two ago and they said that they "should hopefully have a vehicle for me by the end of Sep". I'd say there's a chance with it being EOQ... but with the current state of things who knows. No one knows if they ramped down production (I think?) or just delaying deliveries.

Or it could be something real simple(but this is taking a bit long for that). Years ago my sisters car had a recall, it affected something like 1,347 cars(yes, that precise). Seems that a torque wrench used to tighten the left front brake caliper had a sensor that malfunctioned. It was sending an OK to the system without really checking. They recalled all the cars built on the line between the last time the wrench was calibrated to when the issue was found. They tested the wrench right away and it applied the correct torque but they still wanted to confirm. Like I said, it is probably not this loose bolt issue for the delivery halt but it could be something similar where everyone that got a car early is fine. Maybe a new procedure or tool was implemented during the production run and a week later someone said “UhHo”.

Yes, this happens all the time in the automotive world. SC just need to tweak something - the interesting thing is how long it is taking to implement. If it were as simple as torqueing a nut, they could have done by now.

Elon denied the air suspension for the Model 3 soon after it was first leaked. It's the same reason that there won't a Model 3 Plaid: too costly, and they have to keep the Model 3 properly distanced from the Model S in the lineup. The Model 3 MAY get a launch mode in the future, but that's about all.
I thought I recall there being an ‘air suspension’ part in the Y parts catalog. Which I think fueled the rumors. No clue if it’s there still.

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Conversation with someone who said she had the ability to adjust vehicle pricing-

“you promised a June delivery and you did not deliver in June”. Yes

“I did not agree to pay more for the car. Tesla made the change to 21s, not me. I did not order 21s on my Plaid+ or my Plaid orders. I do not use your rims and do not want them. “. Yes

“Tesla has comp’d 21s to make EoQ deliveries but is refusing to do so to meet a delivery commitment”. Yes

“What do you think is right about the above?” No answer apart from decline delivery and we will put you back in the queue.

I was just about to loose my stuff so it was time to end the call.

I just hopped on the forum and did a written scream.
I was waiting to see your outcome. I saw you PM'ing folks that got them comped.
I, like you was going to replace the 19's with aftermarket, but since have changed to 21's. I figure I can sell them at some reasonable cost to recoup some of my $4500.
....either way, Im still livid as I have not yet so much as received a VIN on my plaid+ conversion that was promised in June, like you.

They could get in front of it by communicating directly
Trust me, I am the last one to defend Tesla's communication practices. But, no matter what Tesla were to say, certain folks will twist it to fit the narrative they way to tell. The only way around that is to not feed the news cycle.

I agree they could communicate more (more), but the hold might be for something innocuous like @CWhite 's example and it did not occur to anyone in Tesla it was something that would turn into a news story.

Looks like everyone got this new agreement section, regardless of order status.
Here's the code from the updated account page:

Code:
                    "agreement": {
                        "accept": "Accept",
                        "agreements": "Agreements",
                        "back": "Back",
                        "backToTeslaAccount": "Back to Tesla Account",
                        "byAccepting": "By accepting, I am electronically signing the documents provided above and agreeing to the ##teslaESignConsentLink##. I acknowledge that I can review the full text of the documents prior to signing.",
                        "continue": "Continue",
                        "enterDateOfBirth": "Enter Date of Birth",
                        "error": {
                            "agreementsNotAvailable": "Agreements are not available. Please try again later.",
                            "invalidDob": "Invalid date of birth",
                            "unableToConnect": "There was a problem connecting to the server. Please try again later.",
                            "unableToProcess": "There was a problem processing your request. Please confirm your order details and try again."
                        },
                        "packetName": {
                            "DMV": "Registration",
                            "INCENTIVES": "Incentives",
                            "LEASING": "Leasing",
                            "LENDING": "Lending",
                            "TRADEIN": "Trade-In"
                        },
                        "reviewToContinue": "Review and accept agreement to continue",
                        "status": {
                            "availableAtDelivery": "Your agreements will be available for your review during your delivery appointment",
                            "availableWithin24hrsSubtitle": "Your agreements will be available for your review within 24 hours of your delivery appointment",
                            "completeTitle": "Your signed agreements are available for download in the Documents section",
                            "notAvailableTitle": "Agreements Not Available",
                            "notifiedOnceAvailable": "You will be notified once your agreements are available for review",
                            "pendingAcceptanceSubtitle": "Your agreements will be available for download upon co-signer's acceptance",
                            "pendingAcceptanceTitle": "Pending Co-signer Acceptance",
                            "regeneratedSubtitle": "Your agreements have been updated. Review and accept to avoid delays in delivery",
                            "regeneratingTitle": "Regenerating Agreements",
                            "reviewCta": "REVIEW",
                            "reviewSubtitle": "Review and accept your agreements now to avoid delays in delivery",
                            "reviewTitle": "Review Agreements",
                            "tryAgainSubtitle": "Try again in a few moments"
                        },
                        "teslaESignConsent": "Tesla eSign Consent",
                        "tryAgain": "Try again"
                    },
Wonder if they will stop sending DMV packages in states the purchaser has to register and just have you print the documents here now.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I talked to my SA a week or two ago and they said that they "should hopefully have a vehicle for me by the end of Sep". I'd say there's a chance with it being EOQ... but with the current state of things who knows. No one knows if they ramped down production (I think?) or just delaying deliveries.
With VINs still being assigned and those VIN numbers going up (saw a 437 today) it seems they are still producing. Just being parked at the factory for the moment.

Yes, this happens all the time in the automotive world. SC just need to tweak something - the interesting thing is how long it is taking to implement. If it were as simple as torqueing a nut, they could have done by now.
Since they're using a new battery architecture with the refresh, Tesla could have encountered a few unknowns/surprises.

I'm confused about the EPA ratings. Here are two example from the EPA site:
  • MS LR 19", EPA Range = 405 Mi., EPA 28 kWh/100 Mi. (.28kWh/Mi.). That implies a battery pack size of 113.4 kWh!
  • MS Plaid 21", EPA Range = 348 Mi., EPA 33 kWh/100 Mi. (.33kWh/Mi). That implies a battery pack size of 121.8 kWh!
Can someone please tell my what I'm doing wrong? It seems to me that if a car consumes .28 kWh/Mi. and the battery pack is 100 kWh, then the range would be 100(kWh)/.28(kWh/Mi.)=357 Mi. for the LR 19" and 100(kWh)/.33(kWh/Mi.)=303 Mi. for the Plaid 21"
Source:

Also confused by the range estimates on Tesla's ordering page across models and wheel sizes (I realize Model X is very preliminary as they haven't supposedly built any yet, but still..)

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 10.46.55 AM.png

Popped in here after a few days! So deliveries are hold and my MS has been in the service center for 3 days to fix "one" broken glass and no status of whats happening. I hope they are not planning to hold on to my car for weeks! If I don't hear back by EOD today, I will be going to the center on monday morning and ask for my car back.
Other owners that took delivery (@Hayseed_MS) are saying service is not wanting or holding on to vehicles that were previously delivered. Sure you are fine.

Trust me, I am the last one to defend Tesla's communication practices. But, no matter what Tesla were to say, certain folks will twist it to fit the narrative they way to tell. The only way around that is to not feed the news cycle.

I agree they could communicate more (more), but the hold might be for something innocuous like @CWhite 's example and it did not occur to anyone in Tesla it was something that would turn into a news story.
That’s just a roundabout way of saying you DO agree with their stance of not responding.