Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no way that is going to work. This car was designed to have the turn signals and be stalkless. You would literally need the entire Model 3 computer, and even then, it still wouldn't work. The car may not even drive. These cars have tons of sensors, and as soon as one little thing is off, nevermind a massive thing like this, they freak out, and often don't even drive.
My recommendation to you is to not even try this, and instead try to contact some companies that can make a top of the wheel accessory to fill in the top.🙂
The computer does not care where it receives a digital signal from. The stalk-less blinkers have physical wires to send the signal. No reason why that signal could not be sent from a mechanical stalk. If they manage to pull this off without making look like a DIY project, it would be pretty cool.

The computer does not care where it receives a digital signal from. The stalk-less blinkers have physical wires to send the signal. No reason why that signal could not be sent from a mechanical stalk. If they manage to pull this off without making look like a DIY project, it would be pretty cool.
So, if the computer receives any signal at all, that would work? And, what about the gear shifter? Choosing which way the car will go is kinda a big deal, just sayin.

Last edited:
So, if the computer receives any signal at all, that would work? And, what about the gear shifter? That's a huge part of the car.
Teslas are notoriously finicky about signals. This why even Dyno Mode doesn't quite work, because the car senses that the wheels are moving, but the car itself isn't. This would be like trying to teach a dog to walk on 2 legs, and upright like a human.

Well, lawyers finally allowed me to officially put in reservations for White/Black/21' Plaid and LR. Wonder which one I will get. Just like another poster here, I really don't want to be in an ICE rental for longer than I have to. Commuting 150miles a day in an ICE after a few years of a Tesla is just horrible.

I hope it is a Plaid, but who knows at this point. Such a mess. I really hope that I don't get a car before a lot of you who have orders months old. I will be happy to get one don't get me wrong, but that just seems so stupidly unfair. I haven problem waiting in line as I would angry if I was one of those too.

Maybe the End of Quarter push will see all of us with new MS's?
Curious to know. why do you need the lawyers to allow you to put in an order?

So, if the computer receives any signal at all, that would work? And, what about the gear shifter? Choosing which way the car will go is kinda a big deal, just sayin.

No, the same signal. Just need the stalk to activate that signal.

What gear shifter are you referring to? The refresh has it on the screen and the center console. If it is on the steering wheel, you just don't connect that function.

No, the same signal. Just need the stalk to activate that signal.

What gear shifter are you referring to? The refresh has it on the screen and the center console. If it is on the steering wheel, you just don't connect that function.

Ok then it MAY work. We'll see.
I have an endless supply of popcorn till February. I will wait.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no way that is going to work. This car was designed to have the turn signals and be stalkless. You would literally need the entire Model 3 computer, and even then, it still wouldn't work. The car may not even drive. These cars have tons of sensors, and as soon as one little thing is off, nevermind a massive thing like this, they freak out, and often don't even drive.
My recommendation to you is to not even try this, and instead try to contact some companies that can make a top of the wheel accessory to fill in the top.🙂
Nah,
Someone with a hard enough head and a CAN bus sniffer (together with some coding skills) could emulate the wheel resident switches. It's a PITA but it is possible.

Last edited: