Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the biggest issue IMO. I remember either some guy posting here or that I saw it somehow, where on the Porsche forum, by far the biggest thread is: "Is Tesla an existential threat?" Which I thought was hilarious tbh. Tesla is going to exacerbate that with Roadster.
Think if the Roadster has 700+ mile range, 0-60 in 1.84 to spite the Rimac, 1/4 mile in the mid 8s, and costs $200,000! It will be crazy.
I think because there was a dearth of options for so long, EV folks tend to gravitate toward Highlander "there can be only one" mindset. The exotic market is big enough that both the Roadster and Rimac can be wildly successful; the same is true for the Model S, Lucid Air and MB EQS. IMO, one of the most important things Teslas did, that it does not get enough credit for, is push EV appeal beyond the "green" market. A few million posts ago @TorqueMonster said something like the performance numbers on the Plaid are going to attract new buyers, not because they are interesting in saving the planet, but they simply want the best 0-60 times available.

The only existential threat is for the companies unwilling to adapt.

Ordered 5/8/2021, MSLR black on black 21 inch wheels. Kansas city, Mo

Was blank till about 6/15 with an EDD of September. 7/26 I started showing 14 day ranges.

7/26 showed 8/10-8/24
7/27 showed 8/11-8/25
7/28 showed 8/12-8/26
7/29 showed 8/13-8/27
7/30 showed 8/14-8/28
7/31showed 8/15-8/29
8/1 showed 8/16-8/30
8/2 showed 8/16-8/30
8/3 showed 8/17-8/31
8/4 showed 8/18-8/31
8/5 showed 8/20-9/3
8/6 showed 8/22-9/5
8/7 showed 8/23-9/6
8/8 showed 8/25-9/8
8/9 showed 8/27-9/10
8/10 showed 8/27-9/10
8/11 showed 8/25-9/1
8/12 showed 10/16-11/5
8/13 showed 8/27-9/7
8/14 showed 8/28-9/7
8/15 showed 8/29-9/7
8/16 showed 8/30-9/7
8/17 showed 8/31-9/7

8/18 (today) shows 8/31-9/3 with a VIN number attached to it!! I know a VIN doesn't mean much however it is exciting to see new information!!
What are the first three of the last six digits of the VIN? I have the same configuration and a 433xxx VIN that I got over 4 weeks ago on a March order.and still have no car.

Reactions: impastu
Has anyone unmatched their VIN (or rejected delivery) of the new Model S?

I know we are all super anxious to get our cars, but I am wondering what happens if you unmatch your VIN due to issues with the car, or timing (you are out of town on vaca, etc). Do you go to the END of the line or just go back in the pool based on your config + RN# for anther vin in the coming weeks or so?

Asking for a friend :)

Quick update from today (and summary of the week) before I call it a night:

RN113953xxx ordered 9/22/2020 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 9-29
RN115453xxx ordered 8/8/2021 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 10-30

So back to the original dates from early last week (again).
Summary of the week:

RN113953xxx ordered 9/22/2020
8/10/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/11/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/12/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/13/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/14/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/15/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29

RN115453xxx ordered 8/8/2021
8/10/2021 - EDD: Sep 10-30
8/11/2021 - EDD: Sep 13-30
8/12/2021 - EDD: Sep 19-30
8/13/2021 - EDD: Sep 10-30
8/14/2021 - EDD: Sep 22-30
8/15/2021 - EDD: Sep 10-30

Interesting how the original order has stuck to the same date range all week, while the more recent order has been bouncing around.

Not sure what to make of this.. probably means absolutely nothing. But it keeps me {and hopefully, you!) entertained :)
The poker match had been frozen for the last few days with no movement in EDDs.
So we invited a 3rd player just for fun, to see if this breaks the stalemate:

RN113953xxx ordered 9/22/2020 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 9-29
RN115453xxx ordered 8/8/2021 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 10-30
RN115507xxx ordered 8/17/2021 Plaid/msm/blk/wood/19 EDD March

I really want CF trim but this seems to be the current hold-up, according to the tracking sheet.
Let's see if Tesla makes a move to match the wood trim order to a VIN!

Last edited:
I think because there was a dearth of options for so long, EV folks tend to gravitate toward Highlander "there can be only one" mindset. The exotic market is big enough that both the Roadster and Rimac can be wildly successful; the same is true for the Model S, Lucid Air and MB EQS. IMO, one of the most important things Teslas did, that it does not get enough credit for, is push EV appeal beyond the "green" market. A few million posts ago @TorqueMonster said something like the performance numbers on the Plaid are going to attract new buyers, not because they are interesting in saving the planet, but they simply want the best 0-60 times available.

That's why I was saying their thinking. In reality, none of these companies are going anywhere, especially with VW AG's backing. I've always thought that these could coexist. Everyone knows here on the forum that I really try to be a very positive person. I want everyone to succeed.🙂 I do agree though, that if some companies are stuck in the dinosaur age, then they will in fact face some serious issues.

I know we are all super anxious to get our cars, but I am wondering what happens if you unmatch your VIN due to issues with the car, or timing (you are out of town on vaca, etc). Do you go to the END of the line or just go back in the pool based on your config + RN# for anther vin in the coming weeks or so?
Someone in the LR thread said their SA (<insert famous SA saying here>) told them they would not go to the back of the line. They would be matched to the next car in their config. I find that hard to believe, but what do I know.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Someone in the LR thread said their SA (<insert famous SA saying here>) told them they would not go to the back of the line. They would be matched to the next car in their config. I find that hard to believe, but what do I know.

I think that may be correct, but god, I truly hope not. If I am going to delay delivery, I really want it to be at least 3 months later. Come on Tesla, penalize us!!! (you know how to do it in every other way possible)

I totally agree with this. Especially the “ portion in bold”

on AUG 06, ETA = AUG 07-AUG 29
on AUG 09, ETA = AUG 10-AUG 29
on AUG 10, ETA = AUG 11-AUG 29
Today is AUG 18, ETA shows....👇😹

Screenshot 2021-08-18 091522.png

My delivery was held up several days. The service center found me an identically specd car and I received it about 3 days later. Of course it was a different vin.

So after watching @MrExitStrategy's YT video about quality issues, Demuro's video, and reading the Model S issues thread, here's my updated plan/thoughts:

- seems like the software is half baked. Tesla's software will always have glitches and stuff like that (just like any sw), but some of the stuff seems sort of egregious at the moment.

- promised features (notably, ANC) aren't there yet and we may be 3-6 months from those.

- quality on many of the cars just seems bad. squeaks, rattles, loose pieces, imperfections abound. I've watched a handful of videos + read that issues thread here and a lot of this stuff seems very common.

So, here's what Im going to try and do:

- I ordered a LR Model 3 4 days ago. Website said November, initially it said November, now says Sept 18-30 (LOL, like I'd take delivery EOQ). If that comes in the next few weeks, Ill take it, if they try EOQ Ill push it back (as I am OOT anyway).

- My LR Model S says October 21-November 10 right now. Whenever it does show up, Im going to tell my SA that I can't take it for a variety of reasons and my hope is that they push me off until Q1 or later of 2022. Tesla needs a revision on the new model s, imo.

- personally, I do have a lot of interest in a new model y from Texas (depending on the changes they make) and the Rivian (pre-order is in, not likely until Q4 2022).

I will let you all know when I get a Model S VIN still, but my hope is just to take it next year, assuming they have found and corrected some things.

IF Tesla refuses to honor the initial reservation price because I dont/cant take delivery of the Model S, then Im going to cancel and go with something else. Hey, you made me wait 8+ months, so...

Anyway, I'll stay here, lurk around and make smartass comments (and let you know when my initial model s VIN comes in), but at this point sadly, I dont think I feel comfortable taking the S at this time. Too much money for me to deal with that stuff.

It is easy for me to say all this because my wait is over. Also, my vehicle is pretty flawless - yes, there are a few issues but Tesla is quickly addressing them.

The car is not perfect and my OCD (and perfectionist tendencies) reminds me of that everyday. However, I love the car and look forward to even the shortest drives. I would do this all over in a heartbeat. Every manufacturer puts out crap on any given day - some more than others. Every car I have ever owned has been ripped apart by reviewers - but I did not experience their complaints for the most part. I think the JLR group gets ripped more than almost any maker and everyone of mine has been great. I still want the new Defender pretty bad.

Good luck with your journey and hope you stay around here. You will forget and forgive many shortcomings once in the car. Not excusing Tesla but just keeping it perspective. Do what is best for you and your family. Keep us in the loop.

So after watching @MrExitStrategy's YT video about quality issues, Demuro's video, and reading the Model S issues thread, here's my updated plan/thoughts:

- seems like the software is half baked. Tesla's software will always have glitches and stuff like that (just like any sw), but some of the stuff seems sort of egregious at the moment.

- promised features (notably, ANC) aren't there yet and we may be 3-6 months from those.

- quality on many of the cars just seems bad. squeaks, rattles, loose pieces, imperfections abound. I've watched a handful of videos + read that issues thread here and a lot of this stuff seems very common.

So, here's what Im going to try and do:

- I ordered a LR Model 3 4 days ago. Website said November, initially it said November, now says Sept 18-30 (LOL, like I'd take delivery EOQ). If that comes in the next few weeks, Ill take it, if they try EOQ Ill push it back (as I am OOT anyway).

- My LR Model S says October 21-November 10 right now. Whenever it does show up, Im going to tell my SA that I can't take it for a variety of reasons and my hope is that they push me off until Q1 or later of 2022. Tesla needs a revision on the new model s, imo.

- personally, I do have a lot of interest in a new model y from Texas (depending on the changes they make) and the Rivian (pre-order is in, not likely until Q4 2022).

I will let you all know when I get a Model S VIN still, but my hope is just to take it next year, assuming they have found and corrected some things.

IF Tesla refuses to honor the initial reservation price because I dont/cant take delivery of the Model S, then Im going to cancel and go with something else. Hey, you made me wait 8+ months, so...

Anyway, I'll stay here, lurk around and make smartass comments (and let you know when my initial model s VIN comes in), but at this point sadly, I dont think I feel comfortable taking the S at this time. Too much money for me to deal with that stuff.
As someone who hasn't been here very long and whose order is much younger, at 2 months, than many here, I can tell you that I've thought long and hard about my first move to EV's. This process could only be a little more balled up than it is. I'm not buying an EV to "save the planet" but certainly recognize the benefits. And based upon recent range increases, I thought this could now make sense for me. I don't care about EV credits or that type of stuff. Saving money is nice...but I'm lucky enough to be in a financial position to generally buy what I want. I could have bought a Plaid, but chose to buy the LR as its sufficient to fit my needs (e.g. I'm at a point in my life where I don't need to be the fastest guy).

But this is crazy. Part of my long and hard thought process includes what I'm buying and whether it amounts to a prudent decision. I've heard about the quality control and software issues, and while problematic, they haven't amounted to deal breakers for me. But @Tigers post made think again. All in, this is $92K and I got in prior to LR price hikes. This may not make sense for me, right now, based upon what is happening around us. I'm not slated to take delivery until November 15 - December 5. I'll likely stick this out for another month or two, but without significant movement in the right direction regarding the software issues, I may fall back on a M3P. To the longtime Tesla folks: is this an overreaction?

At first when I clicked the link I thought it was going to be a rick roll trick. LOL. But yeah, cant believe there is a "kit" for that. (then again, yes I can believe it).
I've only ever used hair dryer or heat gun on low to warm up the emblem (so that the double face tape behind it gets softer) slightly, then take the dental floss(I've heard fishing line works better and also wont scratch the paint) and "saw" it up and down behind the emblem while simultaneously pulling the floss/line across the length of the emblem.

Any leftover residue comes off by heating it gently and using your fingers to roll it off or use wd40/goo gone to soak in for a few minutes to remove
super helpful. I didn't realize it could be so easy. I already have a heat gun so will try to avoid using the chemical solvent that could cause collateral damage.

Given the ongoing reports of what I believe are egregious quality issues in these, such as in MrExitStrategy's videos, I'm growing very concerned about my purchase here. Now, if Tesla service centers can and will fix this stuff, I'll tolerate it, but I have a few questions for those who have taken delivery.

1) has anyone had their "punch list" of delivery issues completely fixed so far?
2) what is the latest advice on taking delivery when you find these issues? Just tell your tesla SA you see them and want them fixed, or report them somewhere else? Sorry if this is a noobie question, this is my first Tesla purchase.

If there is no known route to have these issues fixed, I'm quite concerned about the cash I dropped on this vehicle. Don't flame me, I love Tesla, but even if you're a huge fan of this company, these quality issues are serious and we're not doing anyone any favors by pretending otherwise.

As someone who hasn't been here very long and whose order is much younger, at 2 months, than many here, I can tell you that I've thought long and hard about my first move to EV's. This process could only be a little more balled up than it is. I'm not buying an EV to "save the planet" but certainly recognize the benefits. And based upon recent range increases, I thought this could now make sense for me. I don't care about EV credits or that type of stuff. Saving money is nice...but I'm lucky enough to be in a financial position to generally buy what I want. I could have bought a Plaid, but chose to buy the LR as its sufficient to fit my needs (e.g. I'm at a point in my life where I don't need to be the fastest guy).

But this is crazy. Part of my long and hard thought process includes what I'm buying and whether it amounts to a prudent decision. I've heard about the quality control and software issues, and while problematic, they haven't amounted to deal breakers for me. But @Tigers post made think again. All in, this is $92K and I got in prior to LR price hikes. This may not make sense for me, right now, based upon what is happening around us. I'm not slated to take delivery until November 15 - December 5. I'll likely stick this out for another month or two, but without significant movement in the right direction regarding the software issues, I may fall back on a M3P. To the longtime Tesla folks: is this an overreaction?
Elon told Sandy straight up - the worst time to buy the car is during a ramp up. That is right now. Does it excuse them? Not in the least bit. But if you are wanting it to be less of an issue, delaying your delivery is probably the wiser choice. The software should get better, but when it controls damn near 100% of the car - I can attest to wanting something more more along the lines of Snoop Dogg baked and less Martha Steward baked.