Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This guy is an idiot. Tesla doesn't manufacture chips, they program them, and chips don't have "contact points". I had to stop listening to fanboi fearing he would start rambling about his fantasies of fellating Elon. 🤣
Surface mount technology does not require leads on all chips, so a leadless chip could be appropriately referred to as having contact points.

question (because its unclear to me): Is the global chip shortage impacting Tesla production/delivery? because I've heard/read conflicting info.
I have heard (from Tesla employees) "yes, thats the delay factor" but I've also read this

Elon has commented on earnings calls about things like vehicle safety (airbag control?) modules and the like being a huge supply chain problem. I believe the comment about using different chips in some in house modules and porting the code base was also made on an earnings call.

Re: Turn signals. I actually broke down and RTFM last night. Practiced in my garage where I could see what was happening while sitting in the drivers seat. It's better and worse than I thought.

Better: I was under the impression that there were two modes. A quick one that will turn off automatically, and the long one that will only turn off after you make a turn and return the yoke to the center position. That's not the case. Nor is it the case that "it should be three blinks instead of 1." As it turns out, there are simply two ways to invoke the turn signal. A "light" press which will continue to signal until you release the pressure (this gives a single haptic feedback vibration) and a "harder" press which will immediately go into the "long" mode (which gives a double vibration). This means that you really can (with a deft, light touch) signal a few times to change lanes without needing to turn it off again. I really think I *can* get the hang of this to the point where it will be quick and easy to get it right. Especially after practicing a bit more where I can see the results.

Worse: The haptic feedback occurs well before the signal actually flashes! This means that a quick light touch, which rewards you with some feedback is *NOT* enough to signal your intentions. You *must* keep that touch for as long as it takes for the signal to activate. This is approximately a full second. Practice where you can see it, and you'll get the hang of it, but I really wish that activation at least guaranteed a single flash of the turn signal! In the end, I hope this is more of a feature than a bug in that quick accidental swipes while adjusting the volume wont make you look like an idiot to the cars behind you, and typically you want to hold lightly for 3 or so flashes anyway to indicate your intentions. This will take some time to get used to.
I really, really wish they would simply either go back to three blinks for a light touch (like every car) or provide a software setting to pick one or three blinks. While I have only test-driven (a friends) Model S, each time I was trying to do the "light" touch, it would engage the continuous blinker. I am sure, like you, it will take time to get used to. Just odd that it is not three flashes. In my opinion.

yeh, i guess having a grasp of the english language is the same as being a fanboi. words have different meaning if you haven't figured that out. will help you further down in life. or you can choose to stay confusing all your life.
Who let a teenager into these forums. Does your dad know you are on his PC?

For all of you LR owners and reservations out there, I finally did 0-60 times in Chill, Sport and Insane modes. None were in drag strip/launched.

IMG_2226.jpeg
IMG_2227.jpeg
IMG_2225.jpeg

I find the feedback useless while driving.
I have learned to just slide my thumb over the arrow throughout a maneuver to signal intentions when I do not want the blinker to "latch". This works most of the time.
Agreed on the feedback being far too subtle to be useful. How sure are you that your slide is actually engaging the signal? That was the biggest surprise to me. You really do have to lightly press far too long to get the first actual flash of the lights...

I really, really wish they would simply either go back to three blinks for a light touch (like every car) or provide a software setting to pick one or three blinks. While I have only test-driven (a friends) Model S, each time I was trying to do the "light" touch, it would engage the continuous blinker. I am sure, like you, it will take time to get used to. Just odd that it is not three flashes. In my opinion.

Yes, I'd like it to be much easier than it is... For example. Single press (no matter how hard? Or maybe only hard to avoid the volume knob problem) should be three (configurable?) flashes. And a double press to latch. Get rid of this soft vs hard thing that is far too difficult to get right all of the time.

That insane launch is a bit disappointing. And does that show it was on a downhill slope?
Not sure why it shows the slope. Did the Sport mode run. Turned around, did the Chill mode run. Did the Insane run on the same stretch of road as the Sport run. None of the runs were launched. Straight floor it and hold on!!!

Agreed on the feedback being far too subtle to be useful. How sure are you that your slide is actually engaging the signal? That was the biggest surprise to me. You really do have to lightly press far too long to get the first actual flash of the lights...
I start well in advance of needing the signal and I listen for the blinker noise which I can actually hear.

My regular 2 week update went from February EDD to blank this Morning :oops:
My EDD just went from February to blank this morning also. It had held rock steady at October from when I ordered it in late June through the big date reshuffle in August. I'm excited that this could be good news, but at the same time fearful that the next update could say Mar/Apr... Perhaps the white interior production plan is starting to firm up?