Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran into my first Tesla malfunction just now. I left the car home today, but logged into the app to check on it. It was still at 51%, even though it should have been charged to 90% by 7:30 this morning. The app still said it was scheduled to charge at 7:30 this morning. Also, the update cycle didn't happen at the bottom of the app screen, even though all the data was showing as new. I tried resetting the app. I also noticed the Tesla Charger icon was missing, and it just showed a cord sticking out of the Tesla, leading to nowhere.

I tried to turn on climate control, just to see if I had control of the vehicle. The A/C turned on and temp began dropping, but when I tried to turn it off it failed to do so. I called my wife, and asked her to go to the garage. The car would not recognize her phone, so she had to go get her card. She called me and told me the screen was off and she could not get it to turn on. I got her to do soft reset. The screen returned and everything was functional again, except my wall charger icon is still missing from the app. The car is charging properly, but I wonder if all of this was caused by the software update.
Curious about the problem and solution here

So I ordered a plaid in Feb of this year. In May I decided to move from Canada to the US and ordered another plaid for delivery to Florida. Needless to say I took delivery of my May order this week while my Feb Toronto order was estimated to arrive in October.

Tesla customer service as usual was pretty terrible. I was not notified the car arrived at the dealership and it was very difficult to reach anyone at Tesla. Eventually they scheduled a delivery date only to notify me a few hours before delivery that my date had been pushed back two weeks after I paid for the vehicle in full and got insurance.

After failing to reach anyone by phone I got to the dealer and was told your car has been sent to a body shop for a respray. When I complained I was told that actually my car is on the property but delivery was delayed due to a scratched wheel. I said no problem I'll take the vehicle and swap out the wheel when it comes in. I picked up the car later that afternoon.

Another surprise was that the car did not have a trunk cover or removable floor. Apparently that is only set to arrive in a week or two. Only tesla can deliver a car without such basic accessories, why the vehicle didn't ship from the factory with these items is a mystery.

While many have complained about the paint (mine is blue) I found no problems with the quality, the paint job is flawless. I haven't noticed any panel gap issues and the interior quality exceeded expectations (not German level but way better than expected based on previous tesla experiences).

Needless to say the car itself does not disappoint. The handling is far better than the M3P IMO despite it's larger size and weight. I attribute this to the suspension which is amazing. It feels like a mid-engine supercar in terms of both handling and steering feedback. Under normal driving conditions the car drives as well as a good American luxury sedan. It's not S class level luxury in term of ride quality and noise reduction but it's very good especially when you consider the performance the car delivers. Obviously way better in that category then any AMG.

I felt like the yoke would take some getting used to as others have noted but not for me. I don't know if it's just my physical dimensions or driving style but I found it instantly intuitive and prefer it over a wheel. My wife felt the opposite. New software UI is fantastic and a great improvement over the M3/Y which was already a great UI. Gear selection is a non-issue it works great. Wheel based signaling could be improved with a left/right button assignment to prevent confusion and replace capacitive switches with physical ones but no huge deal. Horn button assignment is a mistake should just be in the center. I don't think the move away from stocks is a bad thing but it could have been implemented better. I feel it will improve with future software updates. I don't know how long I have to hold a signal for example for it remain on permanently or to just flash.

Tons of driver related software issues atm. Parking sensors do not always appear while you are entering a space. Auto park feature doesn't seem to work. Haven't really had time for a good review on FSD stuff yet so can't comment.

Note that suspension is too low to use many super chargers (at least here in Florida) as reversing into a space would scrape the bottom of the car on a parking space guard before you are in range of a charger positioned behind a designated space. You can raise the suspension to fix that but it's unfortunate those concrete guards are too tall for the plaid in "medium" height which seems to be the default.

To summarize:
Quality: Exceeded my expectations (they weren't that high to begin with)
Service: Met expectations (it still sucks)
Driving experience: Exceeded my expectations, most likely the best car in the world right now at any price.

So I ordered a plaid in Feb of this year. In May I decided to move from Canada to the US and ordered another plaid for delivery to Florida. Needless to say I took delivery of my May order this week while my Feb Toronto order was estimated to arrive in October.

Tesla customer service as usual was pretty terrible. I was not notified the car arrived at the dealership and it was very difficult to reach anyone at Tesla. Eventually they scheduled a delivery date only to notify me a few hours before delivery that my date had been pushed back two weeks after I paid for the vehicle in full and got insurance.

After failing to reach anyone by phone I got to the dealer and was told your car has been sent to a body shop for a respray. When I complained I was told that actually my car is on the property but delivery was delayed due to a scratched wheel. I said no problem I'll take the vehicle and swap out the wheel when it comes in. I picked up the car later that afternoon.

Another surprise was that the car did not have a trunk cover or removable floor. Apparently that is only set to arrive in a week or two. Only tesla can deliver a car without such basic accessories, why the vehicle didn't ship from the factory with these items is a mystery.

While many have complained about the paint (mine is blue) I found no problems with the quality, the paint job is flawless. I haven't noticed any panel gap issues and the interior quality exceeded expectations (not German level but way better than expected based on previous tesla experiences).

Needless to say the car itself does not disappoint. The handling is far better than the M3P IMO despite it's larger size and weight. I attribute this to the suspension which is amazing. It feels like a mid-engine supercar in terms of both handling and steering feedback. Under normal driving conditions the car drives as well as a good American luxury sedan. It's not S class level luxury in term of ride quality and noise reduction but it's very good especially when you consider the performance the car delivers. Obviously way better in that category then any AMG.

I felt like the yoke would take some getting used to as others have noted but not for me. I don't know if it's just my physical dimensions or driving style but I found it instantly intuitive and prefer it over a wheel. My wife felt the opposite. New software UI is fantastic and a great improvement over the M3/Y which was already a great UI. Gear selection is a non-issue it works great. Wheel based signaling could be improved with a left/right button assignment to prevent confusion and replace capacitive switches with physical ones but no huge deal. Horn button assignment is a mistake should just be in the center. I don't think the move away from stocks is a bad thing but it could have been implemented better. I feel it will improve with future software updates. I don't know how long I have to hold a signal for example for it remain on permanently or to just flash.

Tons of driver related software issues atm. Parking sensors do not always appear while you are entering a space. Auto park feature doesn't seem to work. Haven't really had time for a good review on FSD stuff yet so can't comment.

Note that suspension is too low to use many super chargers (at least here in Florida) as reversing into a space would scrape the bottom of the car on a parking space guard before you are in range of a charger positioned behind a designated space. You can raise the suspension to fix that but it's unfortunate those concrete guards are too tall for the plaid in "medium" height which seems to be the default.

To summarize:
Quality: Exceeded my expectations (they weren't that high to begin with)
Service: Met expectations (it still sucks)
Driving experience: Exceeded my expectations, most likely the best car in the world right now at any price.
You know you can automatically have the car raise the suspension at any GPS location you desire?

Yep- I know that law all too well. Another neat thing about Virginia, if the DMV has you on a restricted license already (points) but the judge decides to take your license for the min (10 days) that you receive no points which means the DMV cannot take your license. Found that out the hard way, but it was 25 years ago so may be different now.
A buddy of mine got a reckless driving ticket in Virginia going 81 in a 75 on a country road... never moving back there. Considering I've gotten speeding tickets in both Montana and Texas, the fact that I skirted VA for 3 years without one is amazing

I've been checking these daily too. Seems like people have been canceling their Plaid orders after they realized just exactly what that 40k difference bought them
I do think this is a deliberate (and clever) way to kneecap private parties that purchased plaids simply as an investment opportunity (thinking about the outrageous prices on ebay)

Five Plaids in inventory in the Bay Area today for anyone who wants to jump the line!
Even more then that now. There was one with 19s on there earlier.

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 11.22.25 AM.png

I had asked this question a while ago without getting an answer.

For information here a speeding of 50 km/h above the authorized speed is an immediate suspension of the driving license, the seizure of the vehicle and the sale by the State of this vehicle
In Canada, 50 kph over the posted in 80 kph or above or 40 kph over in below 80 kph zones is the trigger point for 'stunt driving' which nets the license suspension of one year, seizure (but not sale of) the vehicle and a fine between 2,000 and 10,000 dollars. That will be the good news. The insurance renewal premiums will be the killer. When my (now 27) son was 18 he got pulled for drag racing (in a VW Golf City :-|) his insurance renewal came back at 1,200 dollars.....PER MONTH..... can't make this up....