Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SA (who was previously thought to be deceased), did tell me that FSD "guarantees" that your order gets filled earlier. It is just pure math and better for the Co to show higher margins. This is esp true at EOQ and Yr End. So, more $$ = More $$.
I must’ve having very special FSD then. It’s been 12 months already!

Hate to say it, but end of the year? Not a chance. They are going to bounce that car to someone else. The thing is - it is so far away, it has a chance to go either way, pull forward or push back. I doubt it is going back to February. It could pull forward into late November / early December. We have seen some people who had 9/15 - 9/30 pull forward to 9/3 - 9/6 or similar. So over the course of October and November - it could move. I would hold on.
Yeah here’s hoping it’s pushed back to January. I don’t want to take delivery during the end of quarter rush - my dad took delivery of his Model Y during the end of December last year and I couldn’t believe how many issues there were with his car. Damaged paint, misaligned panels, huge tear in the leather steering wheel, bubbles and wrinkles in the seats, strange pink powder in all the crevices (think it was polishing compound to try to fix the bad paint issues), I could go on and on.

Yeah here’s hoping it’s pushed back to January. I don’t want to take delivery during the end of quarter rush - my dad took delivery of his Model Y during the end of December last year and I couldn’t believe how many issues there were with his car. Damaged paint, misaligned panels, huge tear in the leather steering wheel, bubbles and wrinkles in the seats, strange pink powder in all the crevices (think it was polishing compound to try to fix the bad paint issues), I could go on and on.
Fair enough. There was some discussion at one point that you could “hold” your reservation and push delivery. It does not bump you to the end of the line, just to the next time your build is made it could get allocated to you. I would start the conversation with your SA. So you are not willing to take delivery if it is, say late November early December?

Oh don’t get me started. Lol. Mine is an edge case.
Just took a picture of your post. 😊
D752A506-F7F9-4D69-9C77-28DAED236376.png

So Tesla dropped off my white/black/cf plaid. The lady’s Uber arrived before I was even done looking over it, and I still didn’t even pay for it. I was financing 50% and supposed to send the balance while the lady was here snd she just left “my Uber is here”.

So weird. 😂

Also the later vin is definitely not as clean as my early Vin. Quality overall is not as good. They seem to be going in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Um...I got a VIN!!! At night!!!

Not sure what happens next. It says payment due before delivery but I can pay after inspection, right?

Holy cow. This is happening, maybe....
Congrats! This is actually encouraging for many of us with Sept est delivery dates but still waiting for VINs. I’ve been told (by my local Tesla SC Mgr & RM) that it’s approx 3 weeks from VIN assignment to actual delivery here in FL (East Coast) BUT you received your VIN just 5 days (9/3/21) before the beginning of your estimated delivery date (9/8/21) and you’re in SC (East coast).

My Tesla account still shows Est Delivery date of 9/20/21 - 9/30/21 with no VIN yet, so it seems possible that people like me could also get VINs just a few days or a week before the beginning of our Est delivery date range.

What’s strange is that I was also told that they assign the VIN at the factory as the vehicle comes off the production line, before it’s put on a truck or train for transport to the US East Coast. Maybe this isn’t accurate or maybe it is but only takes 1-2 weeks and not 3 weeks? IDK, Tesla is just crazy! 🤡😝

Last edited:
Got a detailing appointment for the following:

Xpel Full Front - PPF
Bumper
Full fenders
Full hood
Mirrors
Headlights

Xpel Track kit - PPF
Rocker panels
Using 10 mil Film

Xpel Fusion - Ceramic Coating
All painted surfaces
All PPF surfaces
All Glass
Wheels

Xpel XR Plus - Tint
Full windshield 70%
All windows (5%, 20%, 35% available)
70% Roof

Misc
1 step polish

Total price - $3600. Does that sound like an okay price?

For those that recall, I had a LR that failed in 6 miles and had to be towed back to the SC. Anyway, the drive unit had to be replaced, and now I have the car back, its a 439 VIN, and its in great sorts for build quality. Much better than the 431s, and 430s I have seen...

Knock on wood, this is not going to leave me walking again, because if it does, I am back to driving Fords.

I picked up my long range at Chesterfield (St. Louis) this morning.

Delivery. About an hour before pickup I received a text saying I needed to make a final payment because they don’t accept certified checks. I responded by noting that the Tesla website states that certified checks are accepted and that’s what I had. The response was that’s ok, come on.

After that delivery was uneventful. My inspection found only a knotted rubber seam on the passenger side door and mud on the hood (poor detailing). I accepted the car.

Yoke. I almost canceled my order because I was convinced I would not like the yoke. I was wrong. I had no problem driving with the yoke and I love the visibility. The turn signals seemed intuitive to me. My only complaint is the horn. That is a horrible design. And I have no worm.

Performance. The car pulled badly to the left at the beginning of the drive. I drove from St. Louis to Little Rock (400+ miles). After calibration I engaged AP. The car never pulled left again. No idea why.

I’ve read all the reports here about the acceleration of the long range. I never doubted those reports. But you really have to experience it to understand it. I drove conservatively until our first charging stop. As we got back on the freeway I had a long empty space in front of me. I floored it. My wife screamed and then cussed me because I didn’t warn her. Later, when I was going about 75, she wanted me to floor it again. According to her count, we went from 75 to 105 in 3 seconds. The acceleration is just crazy fast. I can’t imagine what the Plaid feels like.

We went to dinner after we got home. I had a couple of drinks and my wife drove home. We had an empty stretch and I told her to floor it. She did, and even though she knew what was coming, she screamed again. The car is just a beast.

Bottom line. The car is fantastic. I’m 67 years old and I’ve never experienced anything close. I’m selling my Mach e to my daughter, on very good terms for her, and keeping the MS. I echo those who say the aggravation and agonizing wait is worth it.