Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it okay to admit that as much as I want my LR, and I've felt all along that the Plaid was not a "good value" in comparison, that okay, I now want the f'ing Plaid? I'm finally realizing 0-60 is just a number, it's the expected head crushing roller coaster feeling acceleration that I regret I'll be missing out on?
I know the LR will be plenty quick for me, possibly even quicker with future software unlocks (which I will be unlikely to get, as I'm leasing) and as recently as a couple of months ago, I just couldn't justify to myself the price delta for the Plaid.
Now I'm kinda seeing it.
I drive like an old bastard, so I'd likely never give 600hp a sweat, let alone using 400 more....but damn, I'm wanting that Plaid.
I'll have to satisfy myself that the LR is almost as good, etc. - but I'm thinking I made a mistake.
I am a cheap guy though, so if I paid for the Plaid and read really good reviews of the LR, it would also suck.
Sigh....
This is what goes on when you keep waiting for a car. a VIN. Any sort of hope.
You aren't alone, when the deliveries first starting happening, I was on youtube all I was seeing was Plaid, Plaid, Plaid and I was fascinated greatly! Then I started to wonder if should just get a Plaid instead since they are delivering quicker, but after doing some "is the plaid worth it" google searching that calmed me down. The biggest factor was when I had my Hellcat, I LOVED it, the speed, the looks etc but I was never really able to unleash 700+hp like I thought I would when I bought it. I think I wanted it more so other people could KNOW what I was capable of if I floored it .... I don't need any of that now. I'm at peace with my LR minus $35K

is it okay to admit that as much as I want my LR, and I've felt all along that the Plaid was not a "good value" in comparison, that okay, I now want the f'ing Plaid? I'm finally realizing 0-60 is just a number, it's the expected head crushing roller coaster feeling acceleration that I regret I'll be missing out on?
I know the LR will be plenty quick for me, possibly even quicker with future software unlocks (which I will be unlikely to get, as I'm leasing) and as recently as a couple of months ago, I just couldn't justify to myself the price delta for the Plaid.
Now I'm kinda seeing it.
I drive like an old bastard, so I'd likely never give 600hp a sweat, let alone using 400 more....but damn, I'm wanting that Plaid.
I'll have to satisfy myself that the LR is almost as good, etc. - but I'm thinking I made a mistake.
I am a cheap guy though, so if I paid for the Plaid and read really good reviews of the LR, it would also suck.
Sigh....
I am starting to have the opposite feeling. I was supposed to get my car in August, now have an October EDD. All this time I had time to think and I'm starting to think that maybe the LR would be enough. Plaid is just ostentatious.
Drive the LR and you will immediately get rid of that FOMO. Based on what you are saying about your driving style, the LR will be more car than you need.

I'm starting to see this debate like when I was younger trying to buy a sport bike. I wanted the 1000cc, because...well, it's faster. The salesmen talked my young foolish butt out of getting something that was going to kill me. I got the 600cc, and the acceleration was still more than I could handle for a long time.

Now here I am at the other side of life. I see a lot of people wanting the Plaid not because it is what they need for driving, but simply because it is the best.

So to you my friend, I will give the same advice I received at 24 years old. Get the 600cc LR. You'll be impressed.
Good point, who "needs" 1000hp street car? But to counter your point, every biker I know that started with 600cc had a for sale sign after a couple weeks/months. As you get better the 600cc feels like it's lacking somehow. Tesla cars are so easy to drive in general that I believe the Plaid with its crazy power doesn't really feel intimidating like a 600cc bike would to a new rider.

With all that said I'm sticking to the Plaid for now. But a couple local guys are getting their LR so if I can bum a ride and think it's "enough" I might as well go the sensible route and switch to a LR. Or maybe the LR will not feel that quick to me and I will stick with the Plaid.

Now I'm kinda seeing it.
Sigh....
What she said. I'm a 50+ boy racer whose other boy racer pals all have loud performance ICE cars. When I let slip the fact that I had a Model S on order, there was some excitement plus a bit of EV scoffing by the boy racer gotta have rumble and the exhaust for it to be any good contingent. The scoffing became universal when they heard I "cheaped" out and got the LR.

I have a bad back and intellectually know that the LR is faster than I want or need so I went with that but now I have bad FOMO (especially after reading and seeing videos about the Plaid which had I read and seen before I ordered (darn Tesla delivery delays), might have changed my mind). If I was completely practical and intellectual, I should have bought a Model 3 or a Y.

Now, I want the fastest production car not only for myself but also to screw around with on the weekend with my pals. Oh well, the LR is still faster (at least in a straight line I think) than my pals' cars (though maybe not the 911 GT3, M5, Vette or the RS7/ crap, I need different friends).

Thats a good Video explaining Plaid Powertrain @sflgator @2021plaid @impastu

Wow, that actually hurt a bit to watch someone who claims to be a professional in the field present as he did.

Anyway, I think the focus on motor rpm and top speed is off point.

I think it is much more likely that the Plaid+, with its larger capacity battery, could tolerate a less efficient power train. The reduction in efficiency would have come from spinning the motors faster using more like the standard Tesla gear ratio. Assuming torque delivery does not fall off too fast with rpm, doing so increases power delivery and performance while still delivering 200 mph top speed. In addition, why would Tesla need more than 200 mph? (or even 200 mph for that matter)

The above would explain the need/nature of the higher rpm carbon wrapped rotors for something other than top speed.

It was also a bit disappointing that the "expert" did not recognize the efficiency benefits of a non-ferrous retention mechanism that likely also allowed for tighter clearances between rotating and stationary components in the motor (thus better magnetic coupling and efficiency).

VIN Sunday night
Text yesterday saying delivery scheduled for the 18th. I am out of town.

Yea...

I called Cathedral City and got to a human. Asked them how long I could hold. They told me the car is already there, arrived this morning. Hold 3 to 4 days due to corporate policy. (so Sunday at latest) They have a front window isolation area where one car can fit. There was a white plaid there last week. I can feel in my bones it is sitting out there collecting new sales orders. The dude assured me I could get another one soon and it was ok if I didn't make it. FFS! If I unassign, that car is gone that day with a $10k+ markup. That facility can't keep top end cars in their showroom. Palm Springs area has money.

I told the guy 4 pm on Saturday and I will bend the world to make it happen.

World has been bent. Work was very understanding of what must happen.

First world problems FTW.

Managed to change my pick-up date 1 day earlier to this Sunday, 19-Sep! My MSLR is scheduled to arrive Saturday, so fingers crossed!

Words can't express how excited I am... but fortunately I think nearly all of you know...

I've just shared my wife's car for the past 5 years (I'm always traveling), and although I've gotten plenty of fast rental cars, those are only in the low to mid ~4 seconds. I know it's not a plaid, but 3.1(ish) is still bonkers fast.... especially compared with my wife's '14 Elantra 😂 (for the record, I've offered many times to get her something much nicer, but she's determined to drive it till it's dead.. so we'll have the most mismatched garage in the neighborhood... maybe in the county... )
I am really happy for you but BEYOND frustrated with Tesla. I have the exact same config as you, RN11446, ordered on 4-Feb and my most recent EDD is now Dec 17-Jan 6!!! I wonder if you got in after the price increases? I called to complain today but got the normal Tesla blah blah blah from the order team.

I really doubt now that reservation order has ANYTHING to do with your receiving a VIN. After owning Teslas for almost six years, things like this make me want to move on... I just wish competition was better.

@emailforbrett So, are you going to take a repaired new car or reject and wait for another undamaged VIN?

My plan is to at least have a look at it. If I can’t tell it had been repaired, I suppose I should take it. Is there a downside to accepting it if there are no visible flaws? I will tell them I do want to test drive it before accepting it to make sure there are no rattles coming from that replaced rear panel. I know they tend to frown upon test drive requests for the Plaid, but this is a special circumstance and if they deny that opportunity then I will definitely hold out for another delivery. I am not in a huge hurry….I bought a 3P to tide me over.

Wow, that actually hurt a bit to watch someone who claims to be a professional in the field present as he did.

Anyway, I think the focus on motor rpm and top speed is off point.

I think it is much more likely that the Plaid+, with its larger capacity battery, could tolerate a less efficient power train. The reduction in efficiency would have come from spinning the motors faster using more like the standard Tesla gear ratio. Assuming torque delivery does not fall off too fast with rpm, doing so increases power delivery and performance while still delivering 200 mph top speed. In addition, why would Tesla need more than 200 mph? (or even 200 mph for that matter)

The above would explain the need/nature of the higher rpm carbon wrapped rotors for something other than top speed.

It was also a bit disappointing that the "expert" did not recognize the efficiency benefits of a non-ferrous retention mechanism that likely also allowed for tighter clearances between rotating and stationary components in the motor (thus better magnetic coupling and efficiency).
I think Tesla did 200 mph as a nice flat number that also showcases that EVs have top speed capabilities now. Personally, I think Tesla has left some in reserve for any competition that goes over 200, such as the Lucid Air Tri-Motor:

First Stability Test at 217mph | Lucid Air | Lucid Motors / Lucid Motors

Testing Without Limits: Lucid Air Hits 235 mph / Lucid Motors

Last edited:
I think Tesla did 200 mph as a nice flat number that also showcases that EVs have top speed capabilities now. TBH, who needs 100 mph if the speed limit is 70 lol with that same logic. :)
Personally, I think Tesla has left some in reserve for any competition that goes over 200, such as the Lucid Air Tri-Motor:

First Stability Test at 217mph | Lucid Air | Lucid Motors / Lucid Motors

Testing Without Limits: Lucid Air Hits 235 mph / Lucid Motors
When they tested the "no limits" it looks like they removed more than just the speed limiter or the inside is less posh that what I have heard about lol

My plan is to at least have a look at it. If I can’t tell it had been repaired, I suppose I should take it. Is there a downside to accepting it if there are no visible flaws? I will tell them I do want to test drive it before accepting it to make sure there are no rattles coming from that replaced rear panel. I know they tend to frown upon test drive requests for the Plaid, but this is a special circumstance and if they deny that opportunity then I will definitely hold out for another delivery. I am not in a huge hurry….I bought a 3P to tide me over.
@emailforbrett If I were not in a hurry, I’d get the new “virgin” vin. While the paint may look good at delivery, it’s not the same paint as the factory paint, and it’s not baked on. So, over time, it may fade or change color at a different rate then the rest of the car. Why chance it if you’re not in a hurry?!