Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think almost every car I have ever purchased has had similar issues and think the video is showing pretty normal stuff but I might be too forgiving.
I used to be one of those "it's gotta be perfect" kinda guys. I drove a lot of Toyotas back in the '80's, and Toyota was known for having the ultimate in initial and ongoing quality back then. Kinda got me spoiled.

But then the muscle cars returned in 2005. I ended up purchasing 3 different Dodge Chargers ( an '05 Daytona, '06 SuperBee, '07 SuperBee) and Dodge quickly taught me that I couldn't be Toyota levels of fussy anymore. ;)

Yet I can also understand that when a guy drops $130k+ on a car, it should be of high initial and ongoing quality. IMO, Tesla still has some ground to cover on those two things. But it's not enough to stop me, at this point.

I'm in the first day of my latest EDD (I hit the EDD range 2x this month already and the range changed each time to a later EDD range the day after I entered the EDD period). So now I'm focused preparing for pickup (yay), inspection and QC issues when I saw this video on YouTube titled "Tesla Model S Build Quality is Trash"

Maybe I'm too forgiving but the TRASH build quality issues pointed out by the YouTuber look really minor to me. If this is what I get, I would probably have Tesla look at 1 or 2 things but would be dancing on my way home. I think almost every car I have ever purchased has had similar issues and think the video is showing pretty normal stuff but I might be too forgiving.

LR, MS with black interior, 19" wheels, no FSD, ordered May 1 in mall, current EDD 9/21-30, SA in mall told me I was slated for October production, RN1148

I would 110% reject that car. What a joke. The fact that the local shop would "PDI" that car and not see those defects is embarrassingly bad. Like shameful. On a 130k+ car? A 20k KIA wouldn't have half of the crap that car has. Thing is where's the incentive for Tesla to clean up their act? There is none when cars fly off the lot and people buy them anyways.....

I would 110% reject that car. What a joke. The fact that the local shop would "PDI" that car and not see those defects is embarrassingly bad. Like shameful. On a 130k+ car? A 20k KIA wouldn't have half of the crap that car has. Thing is where's the incentive for Tesla to clean up their act? There is none when cars fly off the lot and people buy them anyways.....
It’s got some issues but it’s not THAT bad. I was waiting for your sarcasm cue but it never came. Maybe my standards are just too low. If not for this message board I wouldn’t even think to look for half the things he complained about.

Ok, that's a bit of a relief.

While I have seen pics of far worse issues on this forum, the issues in the TRASH video are in my OPINION minor. As noted, I would have 1 or 2 of the issues fixed because they are issues. However, I have had Hondas, Lexuses (similar small blemishes in the panel gaps and non functioning window shade), Fords (where, among other things, I could fit my thumb between the windshield and the interior trim piece on one side that was supposed to be flush) and MB (with scratches on the bumper which they fixed post delivery) with similar issues.

Regardless, it is up to each of us to decide what we can accept and I just hope that my car is no worse than the one in the video. I also hope @Marcust99 is lucky and gets a good QC car.

Good luck everyone. I just want the car.

Sure most of those are "minor" cosmetic-ish issues, but really, on a 130k car is that really acceptable? No chance in hell
a German car would have even a single one of those issues found during pickup. Maybe I'm being too picky, but man, are
our standards so low now with Tesla? If you bought a new iPhone and it had a nick in the corner and a blotch on the back,
you'd take it back in a second. So why does Tesla get a pass for their shitty QC?

I'm not trying to be argumentative really, just trying to wrap my head around all this....

I'm not trying to be argumentative really, just trying to wrap my head around all this....
Yup, I'm right there with ya. I think a lot of us are wondering why we're adjusting our standards. But there's also quite a few guys that aren't willing to give Tesla a pass, which is very understandable. I think some of us are just so amazed by the driving experience that we're willing to let slip things that would've been deal breakers for us in the past. I mean... a 9.30 second 1/4 mile pass in a daily driver, with no gas bill? Yes please.

Elon and company might end up with a bit of an epiphany moment when the other players finally have their competing products up to speed; if Tesla can't match the quality/value/performance equation when that happens... But as it stands right now, the performance/value part is pretty much unmatched.

Yup, I'm right there with ya. I think a lot of us are wondering why we're adjusting our standards. But there's also quite a few guys that aren't willing to give Tesla a pass, which is very understandable. I think some of us are just so amazed by the driving experience that we're willing to let slip things that would've been deal breakers for us in the past. I mean... a 9.30 second 1/4 mile pass in a daily driver, with no gas bill? Yes please.

Elon and company might end up with a bit of an epiphany moment when the other players finally have their competing products up to speed; if Tesla can't match the quality/value/performance equation when that happens...
Of course. If MB AMG or Porsche/Audi had a 350 mi.+ EV with > 1,000 HP/TQ and ran 1/4 mi. in 9.2 sec @ 152-153 mph AND cost $130-$150k, I wouldn't even consider Tesla right now. But currently, these auto mfgr's don't YET but someday, they almost definitely will. Personally, I am not brand loyal and although I'm even more excited to take delivery and start driving my new Tesla MS Plaid soon, this entire ordering/production/delivery process has soured me even more with Tesla and I will be shopping around after I'm done with my MS Plaid (probably in 3-5 years). Time will tell IF I can stomach the Tesla process again...it's been the worst car-buying experience in my 52 years; the MS Plaid will be my first Tesla and may be my last Tesla! 🤬

And, this is not even mentioning new EV mfgr's like Lucid, because Lucid is right there in line with Tesla in terms of technology and possibly, dare I say, even a step ahead in battery technology (although many will argue that the larger Lucid battery isn't more efficient than Tesla but nonetheless, LUCID is the first EV Mfgr to have new EVs that can go > 500 mi. on a charge). Remember who the CEO of Lucid is...Rawlinson was the chief engineer on the Tesla Model S years ago, but it seems he and Lucid as a company have a very different approach to quality control, customer service, and the overall customer experience than Tesla. I'm guessing Rawlinson and Elon got into some very heated arguments years ago, lol! 🤔o_O As I've mentioned before many times, Lucid is one to watch over the next few years!

Last edited:
@dewski Hey man, just wondering if you had an update on your car yet, and if so, what was wrong?

Hoping they took care of you and everything is good now...
Appreciate you checking in. No update unfortunately, they let me drop it off on a Sunday. Went into service mode on Monday but they haven't diagnosed it at all yet which is unfortunate. Probably just busy. I do have a tint/PPF/ceramic appointment on 9/27 so I hope I get it back by then or at least enough heads up that I won't so I could let them know.

It’s got some issues but it’s not THAT bad. I was waiting for your sarcasm cue but it never came. Maybe my standards are just too low. If not for this message board I wouldn’t even think to look for half the things he complained about.
I’m generally super easy going. However, I don’t think I would have accepted that car. If I did accept, I would have expected a loaner because I would have left it for the SC until it looked like a new car should.

Sure most of those are "minor" cosmetic-ish issues, but really, on a 130k car is that really acceptable? No chance in hell
a German car would have even a single one of those issues found during pickup. Maybe I'm being too picky, but man, are
our standards so low now with Tesla? If you bought a new iPhone and it had a nick in the corner and a blotch on the back,
you'd take it back in a second. So why does Tesla get a pass for their shitty QC?

I have HAD and still have german cars. My current one (MB) had noticeable scratches on the bumper (which MB fixed post delivery via an appointment) and very slight paint nicks (tiny point chips like the one on the TRASH video) which I didn't bother to get fixed.

I'm also not trying to be argumentative but you have clearly had better QC experiences with German cars than me. Good luck. Hopefully, your car is great QC wise (and my car is great for that matter too).

There have been enough problems with the Tesla ordering experience that hopefully something goes right.

Elon and company might end up with a bit of an epiphany moment when the other players finally have their competing products up to speed; if Tesla can't match the quality/value/performance equation when that happens... But as it stands right now, the performance/value part is pretty much unmatched.
The big bottom line is the value perception is not subject to being anchored. Elon has changed the rules for everyone. Quality will come. Technology came first and likely will always take first place for Tesla.

Folks take the same with glitchy ragged edge semiconductor technology. I am supporting the future of a company that is racing toward that future. No one else is close.

Everyone can pretend otherwise BUT it is precisely why we are all standing in line. (and bitching about it)

Cheers

Elon and company might end up with a bit of an epiphany moment when the other players finally have their competing products up to speed; if Tesla can't match the quality/value/performance equation when that happens... But as it stands right now, the performance/value part is pretty much untouched.
This is NOT a discussion-turned-argument I want to heavily jump into; so this is pretty much all will say on this subject. The panel gaps have been a major issue in Tesla's history. But of the issues they've had, they have been minimizing them over the years. They are one by one picking off every complaint people have had with Teslas (New S interior quality, etc..). Panel gaps are next:

It's clear that originally, pretty much all of the money went into the powertrain and battery. Now, the money (because there is more of it), is going to the powertrain and battery, interior, and chassis development. Some of the issues I've seen have been borderline egregious, and others overly dramatized. I agree that a 130k car can and will do better. However, I think many of us believe (rightly so IMHO), that you aren't going to find a car this well engineered for the LR/Plaid pricing, or for pretty much any price for that matter. This company has effectively only been building cars for 9 years, yet it has overtaken the 100+ years of "engineering experience" the other companies are supposed to have. In a 10th of the time! IMO, we are taking Tesla's experience in powertrains and next-level engineering, and are associating it to a being a much older company than they really are. Not that we shouldn't expect good quality, because that is what will improve Tesla.

Plus, it's not like other manufacturers don't have quality issues. The initial ramp of the new Shelby GT500 (a car that can cost over 100K, and that is built by an established company), was terrible, with many QC issues that could not be excusable. The $10,000 painted stripes option was often done improperly, and had to be corrected, hoses under the hood came pinched, misaligned hoods and trunks, cobra badges falling off, etc...
The C8 Corvette went on sale and immediately started having quality issues, with leather dashes lifting, intake grills not being strong enough, crap paint, etc... The new Bronco has also gone on sale and instantly had soft top and wind noise issues, as well as surprise markups from overly greedy dealers. They rushed it.
Just today, it has come to light that Ford has issued a recall for the very thing they mocked Tesla over last year.

I think like many things in Tesla's history, QC will improve, as reports out of GigaShanghai have shown. That is Tesla's first ground up car factory, and people are loving the QC. Apparently there are almost no issues, and the cars are being built really well over there. The same will happen with Texas that hopefully goes online next month. Once Texas is fully online, the rumor is that Fremont will be fully redesigned to accommodate the new paint shop, assembly machines, etc... That's when we can expect truly world class quality out of a Tesla. IMO though, even before then, once this production ramp is done, they will be able to iron out all of the kinks in these cars. Elon himself said the best time to buy a car is before or after a production ramp. Like all other companies, things can and have gotten weird during.

(Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and mine alone, so I don't mean to set anyone off here. Please keep that in mind.)
Of course. If MB AMG or Porsche/Audi had a 350 mi.+ EV with > 1,000 HP/TQ and ran 1/4 mi. in 9.2 sec @ 152-153 mph AND cost $130-$150k, I wouldn't even consider Tesla right now. But currently, these auto mfgr's don't YET but someday, they almost definitely will. Personally, I am not brand loyal and although I'm even more excited to take delivery and start driving my new Tesla MS Plaid soon, this entire ordering/production/delivery process has soured me even more with Tesla and I will be shopping around after I'm done with my MS Plaid (probably in 3-5 years). Time will tell IF I can stomach the Tesla process again...it's been the worst car-buying experience in my 52 years; the MS Plaid will be my first Tesla and may be my last Tesla! 🤬

And, this is not even mentioning new EV mfgr's like Lucid, because Lucid is right there in line with Tesla in terms of technology and possibly, dare I say, even a step ahead in battery technology (although many will argue that the larger Lucid battery isn't more efficient than Tesla but nonetheless, LUCID is the first EV Mfgr to have new EVs that can go > 500 mi. on a charge). Remember who the CEO of Lucid is...Rawlinson was the chief engineer on the Tesla Model S years ago, but it seems he and Lucid as a company have a very different approach to quality control, customer service, and the overall customer experience than Tesla. I'm guessing Rawlinson and Elon got into some very heated arguments years ago, lol! 🤔o_O As I've mentioned before many times, Lucid is one to watch over the next few years!
I really like Lucid, and have $LCID also, but it's important to remember that Elon also wanted high quality at the start of production. Tesla actually slowed production in 2012 to do "quality over quantity". Apparently, it all went to crap when the M3 arrived. So we'll see where Lucid and Rivian are on that front in 5 or 7 years. What we are hearing is what Lucid is hoping to do right now. Hopefully it's the same in the future, but they will have some issues no doubt until they figure things out.

Last edited:

The Mercedes dealer will receive you with open arms.

This is NOT a discussion-turned-argument I want to heavily jump into; so this is pretty much all will say on this subject. The panel gaps have been a major issue in Tesla's history. But of the issues they've had, they have been minimizing them over the years. They are one by one picking off every complaint people have had with Teslas (New S interior quality, etc..). Panel gaps are next:

It's clear that originally, pretty much all of the money went into the powertrain and battery. Now, the money (because there is more of it), is going to the powertrain and battery, interior, and chassis development. Some of the issues I've seen have seen have been borderline egregious, and others overly dramatized. I agree that a 130k car can and will do better. However, I think many of us believe (rightly so IMHO), that you aren't going to find a car this well engineered for the LR/Plaid pricing. This company has effectively only been building cars for 9 years, yet it has overtaken the 100+ years of "engineering experience" the other companies are supposed to have. In a 10th of the time! IMO, we are taking Tesla's experience in powertrains and next-level engineering, and are associated it to a being a much older company than they really are. Not that we shouldn't expect good quality, because that is what will improve Tesla.

Plus, it's not like other manufacturers don't have quality issues. The initial ramp of the new Shelby GT500 (a car that can cost over 100K, and that is built by an established company), was terrible, with many QC issues that could not be excusable. The $10,000 painted stripes option was often done improperly, and had to be corrected, hoses under the hood came pinched, misaligned hoods and trunks, etc...
The C8 Corvette went on sale and immediately started having quality issues, with leather dashes lifting, intake grills not being strong enough, crap paint, etc... The new Bronco has also gone on sale and instantly had soft top and wind noise issues, as well as surprise markups from overly greedy dealers. They rushed it.
Just today, it has come to light that Ford has issued a recall for the very thing they mocked Tesla over last year.

I think like many things in Tesla's history, QC will improve, as reports out of GigaShanghai have shown. That is Tesla's first ground up car factory, and people are loving the QC. Apparently there are almost no issues, and the cars are being built really well over there. The same will happen with Texas that hopefully goes online next month. Once Texas is fully online, the rumor is that Fremont will be fully redesigned to accommodate the new paint shop, assembly machines, etc... That's when we can expect truly world class quality out of a Tesla. IMO though, even before then, once this production ramp is done, they will be able to iron out all of the kinks in these cars. Elon himself said the best time to buy a car is before or after a production ramp. Like all other companies, things can and have gotten weird during.

(Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and mine alone, so I don't mean to set anyone off here. Please keep that in mind.)

I really like Lucid, and have $LCID also, but it's important to remember that Elon also wanted high quality at the start of production. Tesla actually slowed production in 2012 to do "quality over quantity". Apparently, it all went to crap when the M3 arrived. So we'll see where Lucid and Rivian are on that front in 5 or 7 years. What we are hearing is what Lucid is hoping to do right now. Hopefully it's the same in the future, but they will have some issues no doubt until they figure things out.
That was a great post.

Yeah, I think I might add a touch of $LCID to the portfolio... at least, in my retirement portfolio.

That was a great post.

Yeah, I think I might add a touch of $LCID to the portfolio... at least, in my retirement portfolio.
Really appreciate it! Took a hell of a lot of time to type out lol! Just trying to put things in perspective. :)

And yeah, I think there is good hope for Lucid. Really excited to see deliveries hopefully happening next month. I also can't wait for the Rivian IPO, as I will grab some of that also.

It's clear that originally, pretty much all of the money went into the powertrain and battery. Now, the money (because there is more of it), is going to the powertrain and battery, interior, and chassis development. Some of the issues I've seen have seen have been borderline egregious, and others overly dramatized. I agree that a 130k car can and will do better. However, I think many of us believe (rightly so IMHO), that you aren't going to find a car this well engineered for the LR/Plaid pricing. This company has effectively only been building cars for 9 years, yet it has overtaken the 100+ years of "engineering experience" the other companies are supposed to have. In a 10th of the time! IMO, we are taking Tesla's experience in powertrains and next-level engineering, and are associated it to a being a much older company than they really are. Not that we shouldn't expect good quality, because that is what will improve Tesla.

Plus, it's not like other manufacturers don't have quality issues. The initial ramp of the new Shelby GT500 (a car that can cost over 100K, and that is built by an established company), was terrible, with many QC issues that could not be excusable. The $10,000 painted stripes option was often done improperly, and had to be corrected, hoses under the hood came pinched, misaligned hoods and trunks, cobra badges falling off, etc...

Don’t TLDR this one. It’s a fantastic post. Go back up and read this.