Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's great! My SA told me the service approved the request to swap mine for All Season tires which is good. I was under the impression that they will be giving the summer tires back to me because what else are they gonna do with them? They don't sell used tires. Well, they can definitely find a use for them if they wanted to but I'll try my best to keep these tires too 😅
Thank you for sharing this. Do keep up posted on the ride quality please.
@umair239 "No charge sway," or some (e.g., $300) swap charge? What specific SC are you working with?

Not gonna lie, I got a tingle in my loins looking at those pics.

No WHERE'S MY DAMN CAR ELON?
Note: While PPF provides a certain level of protection to the paint against nicks, the gloss level is not higher than a freshly washed/waxed or polished painted surface. The pics of a new S thats washed with no PPF would be same as with PPF. When I stand and look at my wifes Y, for example, there is zero difference in shine/gloss between hood (has PPF) and the adjacent fenders (no ppf).

Wow, gorgeous pictures!

And yes, it will definitely look even better after it has dried a few days, especially if you can leave it out in the hot sun. PPF will "shrink out" any installation marks caused by stretching, squeegee marks, etc., and will develop its final look after it has had a week or so in hot sun. You think it looks glossy now? Well, yeah, it does, but it'll look *even better* after a week in full sun.

Make sure you go around every body panel and look for areas where the PPF isn't fully stuck down. Make them fix even the smallest of these areas, as they *will* grow over time. Just the tiniest curled edge will cause a problem over time.

Congrats on a beautiful car!
Thanks,
Not my first rodeo.
4th Tesla
Didn’t do PPF on my first (MS90D)
Regrettably. Did do PPF & Ceramic coating on my MS100D (also red) and our blue RWD LR M3.
Cars clean up like new with every car wash. So worth it.
See for yourself :rolleyes:
Here’s a car wash video I posted in February 2019 with my 100D:

Tesla Car Wash !!!

Hey Bull,

Not that I doubt you.... I'm sure you have a source for this, it's just that I'm having a hard time finding it. Any chance you could share a link to this information?

Everything I've found so far all says Safety Score and that's it.

I have seen GreenTheOnly's videos on how the FSD Beta tracks your eyes to determine whether or not you're paying attention, but that's the actual FSD Beta doing that, FAIK.

Lots of good info here (and his other threads):

I’ve never understood why the PPF costs what it does. The actual labor is a day. Is the material actually that expensive to produce or is it a ludicrous markup driven by the car value!
Fair question - but the protection PPF provides is certainly a known quantity. Whether it's worth the price or not is subjective.
having never done PPF- many talk about Xpel- have you tried both? Does the Suntek offer the satin finish for full body cover?
XPEL, Suntek, Llumar all offer great PPF products. I went with Suntek Reaction because it is new on the market and offers unprecedented hydrophobic qualities without the need for ceramic coating. I was able to get the Reaction along with tint and ceramic coating cheaper than the XPEL Ultimate Plus (through different shops). This video also helped:

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 11.30.18 AM.png

That looks like something Elon added so that no one can get / keep their 100/100 score 😂

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 11.32.46 AM.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't want all those PPF edges catching dirt and wax, etc. My Tesla rear door PPF looks like @$$ around the edges after driving in the the rain. Looks like I outlined the pre-cut PPF with a black Sharpie marker. "No thanks" on the pre-cut stuff! YMMV.
The better shops seem to use the machine and add additional length to the templates to be able to wrap edges.

@GrnSqrl Good call! My SC offered a similar swap, Pirelli's for A/S Continentals for $300... Was your swap offered "free of charge"? They also offered winter tires, like "Pirelli P-Zero Winter" at a 50% discount. Not sure I want Continentals (as I here those are pretty bad, if the same as the ones on the MYLR). Also not sure I want winter tires going on and off my rims every six months either. I asked about a deal on a winter wheel-set, but have not yet got a ruling on that.... Of course, nothing in stock, so I have time to decide what I want to do as they would have to order the tires/wheels I select.
@jebinc , @umair239 yes the swap was free of charge. Long saga detailed here at the end of August, but in summary, it was a one-off free swap because I had it in writing from my SA that my car would come with AS. I only drove the Pirellis for about 850 miles, and now the Contis for only 40 miles, so it’s hard for me to really tell if there’s a major difference. Maybe a bit louder? But then again, my hearing is not the greatest from decades of loud music. Lol. They definitely didn’t shine them up for me though. 😀. Now to decide on whether to keep aeros, powder coat OEM wheels, or go aftermarket.

One of my other service items was a “leaky” passenger side headlight. That is, I noticed condensation inside after a rain storm. Service indicated they may not address it if it wasn’t noticeable. But when I picked it up, they had replaced it.

I also noted that the doors don’t always shut on first try. Service indicated condition was in spec and may improve as seals age a bit.

I applied the stuff tonight and it's definitely super sticky. I'm a bit intimidated by the future removal. Maybe a hairdryer would work best here.

Any idea if I'd be better off with automotive painters tape?
imo painters tape ive never had any issues with and its safe to layer and easy to remove

The Track Armour + Teslas Paint Quality to me doesn't seem like the best combo

I thought the guy said 1000 hp at the crank. Very cool video.

I do believe a better driver would have closed the gap significantly. I think I recall Dragtimes videos with 1k hp 720s that broke into the 8s. Perhaps that was an actual 1k to the ground though, definitely a better driver.
You're correct. He said 1000hp at the crank.

I watched that Dragtimes video again with the 720S in the 8s and it had 940whp. It was 45 degrees that day, and tire warmers were used on a prepped surface at a track. The car was mostly hitting low 9s and then got 8.993 after numerous attempts. Super impressive regardless of the favorable conditions.

imo painters tape ive never had any issues with and its safe to layer and easy to remove

The Track Armour + Teslas Paint Quality to me doesn't seem like the best combo
@moonm3 I can assure you, it is not a "marriage made in heaven". I used Track Armor for two hours on my MSM Plaid and it darkened the paint/ceramic coat where it was a applied. What crap. I have two rolls of the shite... Had to strip and reapply the ceramic coating to rectify the discoloration... YMMV....

having never done PPF- many talk about Xpel- have you tried both? Does the Suntek offer the satin finish for full body cover?
To answer your question. Suntek only offers the Reaction in a gloss finish. A matte finish is coming, but not yet on the market. They do offer their Ultra in matte (but I prefer the Reaction).

@GrnSqrl Good call! My SC offered a similar swap, Pirelli's for A/S Continentals for $300... Was your swap offered "free of charge"? They also offered winter tires, like "Pirelli P-Zero Winter" at a 50% discount. Not sure I want Continentals (as I here those are pretty bad, if the same as the ones on the MYLR). Also not sure I want winter tires going on and off my rims every six months either. I asked about a deal on a winter wheel-set, but have not yet got a ruling on that.... Of course, nothing in stock, so I have time to decide what I want to do as they would have to order the tires/wheels I select.
What other All Season option do we have? Michelin Pilot 4S all season? Wonder how the lack of foam inserts will impact road noise.

So I have had my VIN for two days now. EDD says Sept 28-30. Today is the 28th. I have had zero messages or actionable prompts in the Tesla site. Should I be calling the Dublin dealership or trust they will reach out, you think? I suppose they don't answer the phone anyway, leaving 0 recourse except to go there and hope my SA is there.

Dublin doesn't seem to be a great SC by the way. Folks are probably better off at Fremont to get better delivery and SA responsivesness.