Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that's all you have to report then I'd say you're in damn good shape. But why do you need mobile service? To deliver the missing parts?
I don’t need mobile service - the regular service center near me is booked solid for 3 weeks!

However, I used the Service Chat feature this morning to inquire about picking up missing pieces and they engaged me right away about the other issues. Looks like the chat might be a good workaround that people can try

It's been about 2 months since I've visited here - nice to see you all are just the same! Wanted to give a quick update of Asta, my MSLR, which I got at the end of July.

TLDR: We love this car!

We've taken a few road trips (pic below of the Mr. with our two pups at the Grand Canyon) and now feel like Tesla veterans! We bought a custom mattress cut to fit the exact cargo area with seats down (almost 7' long!) for us to car camp and the pups love it! Also got a Yeti soft cooler that fits perfectly in the space below the cargo area and a charger that works with my laptop. We love that this sexy performance vehicle is also incredibly versatile. The X might've been nice with more headroom in the back but we are totally content with our S.

It was definitely a learning curve going from an '97 Audi manual to what was basically a space ship to us and there were some bumps, literal ones, in the beginning but we are now really comfortable driving what is just an amazing vehicle. For Tesla newbies like we were, treat the first week or two as an education and have a good sense of humor cuz' stuff is gonna happen.

Our road trips have been great - the Supercharger network is superb and only once in the middle of the Arizona desert did we have to change our plans because of the need to charge. We are now on another road trip in northern Michigan with a Plaid rented through Turo and even in the wilds of the U.P. we've been able to charge as often as needed.

With the news of the horrific oil spill just down the beach from me in Orange County, we are more committed than ever to not participating in the petroleum economy... And we didn't have to sacrifice one iota to do that - in fact it is a huge step up. I know many of you care not a whit for the environmental argument of buying a Tesla but how cool is it that the end result regardless of motivation is less ICE cars on the road ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_0717.jpeg
    IMG_0717.jpeg
    640.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0725.jpeg
    IMG_0725.jpeg
    785.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I hope you’re correct, except Elon himself said and claimed “nobody really needs to have an EV > 400mi range.” Guessing he may do a u-turn on that ridiculous statement at some point, especially after Lucid begins delivering cars with > 500mi max battery range very soon. 😜
If it were 400 miles of usable range (20%-90% SoC), at 75 mph in 20 degree weather (or 33 degree rainy weather), I might think about it being enough, but it's not. Reality is... best usable range is actually 280 miles, IF you get the EPA rated miles (which you won't if you are on the highway)...

Yeah that was a huge pile of crap lol tbh, offered as an explanation for the Osborne Effect that Tesla kinda brought on itself by the making the Plus so good w/ limited battery supply. I think Tesla will have many many EVs with super high range, and just one reason alone is how competitive Elon is with other companies, especially ones where the chief engineer of the MS is involved.

I don't believe that the MS is actually as inefficient as Lucid may think. There have been multiple people saying there is at least 10-15% range increases coming soon. Someone on Reddit even uncovered something in the code called an "efficiency package." In April and May, there were reports that Tesla was achieving nearly 500 miles of range out of the LR at highway speeds. So it's possible that the LR has another 40 to 60 miles in it, with just the current 18650s and a 100 kWh pack. If they went to 112 kWh like Lucid, they would match them no problem. So I think this battle will be quite interesting, and I'm wondering what will be the car that makes Tesla push that update? EQS, EQE, or Air? Either which way, I strongly believe it's in the books.😁
My guess would be deactivating the front motor on both the Plaid and LR, to get increased range.

It's been about 2 months since I've visited here - nice to see you all are just the same! Wanted to give a quick update of Asta, my MSLR, which I got at the end of July.

TLDR: We love this car!

We've taken a few road trips (pic below of the Mr. with our two pups at the Grand Canyon) and now feel like Tesla veterans! We bought a custom mattress cut to fit the exact cargo area with seats down (almost 7' long!) for us to car camp and the pups love it! Also got a Yeti soft cooler that fits perfectly in the space below the cargo area and a charger that works with my laptop. We love that this sexy performance vehicle is also incredibly versatile. The X might've been nice with more headroom in the back but we are totally content with our S.

It was definitely a learning curve going from an '97 Audi manual to what was basically a space ship to us and there were some bumps, literal ones, in the beginning but we are now really comfortable driving what is just an amazing vehicle. For Tesla newbies like we were, treat the first week or two as an education and have a good sense of humor cuz' stuff is gonna happen.

Our road trips have been great - the Supercharger network is superb and only once in the middle of the Arizona desert did we have to change our plans because of the need to charge. We are now on another road trip in northern Michigan with a Plaid rented through Turo and even in the wilds of the U.P. we've been able to charge as often as needed.

With the news of the horrific oil spill just down the beach from me in Orange County, we are more committed than ever to not participating in the petroleum economy... And we didn't have to sacrifice one iota to do that - in fact it is a huge step up. I know many of you care not a whit for the environmental argument of buying a Tesla but how cool is it that the end result regardless of motivation is less ICE cars on the road ;-)
awesome story. thanks for sharing! How are your rocker panels holding up without PPF? I have MSM Plaid coming and worry about the potential chipping from sticky wide tires.

Under no circumstances admit fault.
Young lady pulls out of a Publix onto an adjacent road.
My wife was driving down that road and was hit square in the side of her car.

The young “lady” followed your advice.

It took me three years and $120k in legal expenses to get back the $25k in damages.

This was in spite of the lady being charged with failure to stop at a stop sign resulting in an accident.

Your advice may seem wise to you but I would ask you to look around at the world we live in and ask if that approach to life is having a positive affect on society.

What's the repaint mean? The other side is smooth but I don't know if the gap is too small. Are there any references for how big the gap should be?
It looks like it was repainted and the raised paint you are seeing looks like the paint that is against the edge of the masking tape. Since you bought it new I'm doubt it was in an accident but maybe the previous paint was damaged or defective and it was repainted. If that is really a masking tape line it looks pretty amateurish. I'm sure they will make that right.

The gaps should be pretty much uniform around the car. I don't recall anyone ever posting that their panel gaps were too small. The suggestion that the door hinges are loose is a possibility too.

Just an update.

After 1200 miles I still love my long range. I’ve had absolutely no problems. And I still giggle when I floor it. Just a great vehicle.

I reported earlier that my wife ordered a Mercedes EQS but decided she wanted a MS after driving mine several times. She ordered the MS but decided to see which vehicle would be delivered first. She has a VIN for the EQS with projected delivery in December. It looks like she will take the EQS. If she does I’ll report back what I think of it. It looks like a really good EV for comfort and luxury. My wife is much more into that than performance (except when she’s driving my S-she loves to floor it).

I hope the guys/gals still waiting for delivery get their cars soon.

I'd love to trade the wife's dino (MB S 560) for an EQS. Did not know you could get a VIN so quickly.

Summon behaves like a disobedient teenager most of the time. Smart Summon like a disobedient and unruly drunk. I never use either. Just another parlor trick, like “emissions testing”. YMMV.

The old school dumb summon is far more reliable than my daughter. Sometimes I have to press the fob twice, but it never talks back to me and says "Why"

My guess would be deactivating the front motor on both the Plaid and LR, to get increased range.
I actually don't believe that is possible with Tesla's current powertrain, as PM motors cannot be shut off while driving. Induction motors can, but PM motors are inherently always on. The only way to stop them, and reduce drag on the front axle, is to physically have a clutch pack that mechanically disconnects the front motor, and I don't see Tesla wanting to add that complexity to the MS.
The main thing they do already is to redistribute the power to mostly the rear axle, to save energy that way.
For the range increases, I suspect it's just unused battery space, or maybe they are purposely not running the motors at peak efficiency.

1. My daughter's Acura RDX AWD A-Spec (4-cyl turbo) does 0-60mph in < 6.5 sec. So, the EQS, although not quite Prius slow, it's kinda SLOW for a 2022 model year EV, lol. Performance is not a priority for MB's first EVs. @2021plaid is right, the EQS is too heavy for it's own good. The EQ AMGs will be very expensive, likely $150k-$200k for less HP/TQ than the MS Plaid.
2. Funny you're a big Tesla fan; I'm not and I'm waiting for my Tesla MS Plaid...still...after > 8 months. Guessing this may be my first Tesla and my last Tesla. I'm still leaning toward Lucid after my MS Plaid, but it will be exciting to see what EVs are available in 3-5 years. :cool: Maybe MB can make the EQ line much, much better in that time?

Hard to be a fan of something you don't have, and have been waiting for.

Your opinion will change after delivery I think..

Young lady pulls out of a Publix onto an adjacent road.
My wife was driving down that road and was hit square in the side of her car.

The young “lady” followed your advice.

It took me three years and $120k in legal expenses to get back the $25k in damages.

This was in spite of the lady being charged with failure to stop at a stop sign resulting in an accident.

Your advice may seem wise to you but I would ask you to look around at the world we live in and ask if that approach to life is having a positive affect on society.

Advice was primarily for time of event.

I never stated or encouraged anyone to lie. But my kids and wife are sometimes too eager to apologize and if there are legal and financial ramifications, I don’t want them admitting fault in the heat of the moment. Not admitting fault is not the same as lying about verifiable events.

Pictures and witness are key and that is covered in my list. At least the first part.

If there is subsequent evidence or charges, the do not lie aspect holds. We’ve raised our kids in a manner that point goes without being said.

I am sorry for your situation, but I stand by my advice to my family members.

Did you see points 1 and 2 or just hone in on the last one?

And one more point. You don’t know me, so I won’t comment about your insinuations regarding my approach to life or having a positive impact on society.

Last edited:
awesome story. thanks for sharing! How are your rocker panels holding up without PPF? I have MSM Plaid coming and worry about the potential chipping from sticky wide tires.
So far so good and we did some probably unwise dirt road trips during our Grand Canyon swing so the 21s *were* tested... I was back and forth on the PPF - probably should've done it but we aren't as focused on keeping it looking brand new for as long as possible as others are. No judgement, just not our thing...

Wrapped in stealth with a few color highlights. Did the calipers too in blue but need to get a better pic. The “plaid” badge will also be blue but needed to order a new one as the shop couldn’t use the one they removed.
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the full wrap in stealth and how long did the shop take to get it done? I'm very interested in doing the same thing on mine (should it ever be delivered).

Reactions: EndlessPlaid