Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was expecting to get my car in December, but I received a VIN this morning and they want me to pick it up next week. However it’s an older VIN, MF430XXX. I ordered in July. I’m not sure that I want a reject or a car that’s a few months old. My EDD is next week M-F. Is 430 a May build? My RN1152 is from July. Do I pass or try to see it this weekend?

I was expecting to get my car in December, but I received a VIN this morning and they want me to pick it up next week. However it’s an older VIN, MF430XXX. I ordered in July. I’m not sure that I want a reject or a car that’s a few months old. My EDD is next week M-F. Is 430 a May build? My RN1152 is from July. Do I pass or try to see it this weekend?
My June build is a 433 so I think you are probably right thinking May.

Just ask the SA - they can give a build date. My 432 was a June 9th build.

75243087_134818457920733_7597901376926995994_n.jpg

This is giving me some second thoughts about red...save the 2500 for red and put it towards a wrap.

Imagine this wrap in more of a copper tone, like seen on some mid 90's Corvettes

Took delivery of the car today, and I’m actually really impressed with the build quality. They must have made some changes since the end of quarter push, or I have a great copy. I brought the checklist of all the issues to look out for and nothing came up!

The power on the long range is pretty extraordinary. We are coming from a 2018 p75d that I drive hard and my wife doesn’t even flinch. I did a 0-100mph run and she actually screamed. The difference in power makes our p75d seem like a Honda Accord, with a huge bump in high end power. I’m really glad I went LR and not plaid.

If anyone in LA wants a ride to hold them over the long wait, I’m happy to meet up.
I take delivery in December - can you PM me the checklist, this is my first Tesla.

@Ormond I think you are correct, early May build. This car was probably one sitting in that notorious "lot" shown in those earlier drone fly-overs. There's a rumor that Fremont is production is currently shut down for the annual retooling exercise, and that Tesla is working to clear lot inventory during this time. It's unclear why these cars were sitting in that lot for so long, however... Some would say "part shortages," but that would be unlikely, in my opinion - especially during the EOQ push. If these cars were missing parts, how were they able to have these same parts for all the cars rolling off the line? The only exception I could think of is the white interior cars, as none seem to have been delivered, until recently (but they could have installed other interiors and sold them for EOQ). If it were me, I would wait for a later VIN, like a 2022 vin. I'm sure there will be many manufacturing and quality improvements, if not new features. YMMV.

@Ormond I think you are correct, early May build. This car was probably one sitting in that notorious "lot" shown in those earlier drone fly-overs. There's a rumor that Fremont is production is currently shut down for the annual retooling exercise, and that Tesla is working to clear lot inventory during this time. It's unclear why these cars were sitting in that lot for so long, however... Some would say "part shortages," but that would be unlikely, in my opinion - especially during the EOQ push. If these cars were missing parts, how were they able to have these same parts for all the cars rolling off the line? The only exception I could think of is the white interior cars, as none seem to have been delivered, until recently (but they could have installed other interiors and sold them for EOQ). If it were me, I would wait for a later VIN, like a 2022 vin. I'm sure there will be many manufacturing and quality improvements, if not new features. YMMV.

Good observations, maybe the smart thing to do is delay to a spring delivery, provided the retooling is not like last year...

Meanwhile, free entertainment here as folks post pics of the deliveries...

I take delivery in December - can you PM me the checklist, this is my first Tesla.
Of course, I used the attachment on this post. It’s about 3 pages printed out.

Why would they be retooling the S line right after re-starting it with the new design?

I assume small changes, like hopefully, adjusting the fixtures that install the rear interior door panels. No announcement of major retooling, and this all is speculation anyway.

I think if waiting a year plus, what's a few more months?

Of course, I used the attachment on this post. It’s about 3 pages printed out.

Thank You!

I suspected the rear seats as well. Two more pieces of info. The rattle is much louder when adults are in the rear seats. The rattle goes away completely when both rear seats are down. I'm pretty sure it is the rear seat latch on the bracket that has some play. The seat is not pre-loaded enough against the bracket so it sits there and rattles. The flippin car is so quiet in comparison to my P90D that I hear all the little annoyances.
My car was in for this--per the service order, it's a known issue and Engineering working on a fix--in the interim, Service wrapped the latch with tape, which fixed the issue.

My car was in for this--per the service order, it's a known issue and Engineering working on a fix--in the interim, Service wrapped the latch with tape, which fixed the issue.

I have been able to fix a few problems such as interior panels, loose parking sensors, frunk clips, with tape (OEM 3M dual lock and VHB foam tape)

If only all Tesla problems could be fixed with tape, life would be much easier..