Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe in 3-5 years, people will finally realize "model years" mean little to nothing in Tesla world, but month of production means everything - back in 2016, halfway through they redesigned the front end and switched from AP1 to AP2, along with a whole bunch of other changes, but both were still 2016.
I don’t think anyone here actually cares about the model year but KBB, dealers and private parties looking to buy used do because the whole used pricing system is based off of whatever model year is on the car. A 11/1 built 2022 will always be worth more than a 10/31 built 2021 even tho it’s literally the stupidest thing as they are identical. So it is strategic in the long game to try and get a 2022.

A couple grand of resale value? I imagine from an actual driving experience it means very little. But, 3-5 years from now, there will be a price difference between a ‘21 VIN and a ‘22 VIN. That doesn’t really matter to me THAT much, but hey, if we’re literally days away from getting a ‘22, then I see the argument. I’d rather get a 11/1 build with a ‘22 than a 10/30 build with a ‘21. I would not reject a ‘21 if offered to me.
This is how I feel as well. I’m not buying the car based on resale value, but it’s crazy to ignore the uptick in resale value simply by getting a car built a few days later.

I don’t think anyone here actually cares about the model year but KBB, dealers and private parties looking to buy used do because the whole used pricing system is based off of whatever model year is on the car. A 11/1 built 2022 will always be worth more than a 10/31 built 2021 even tho it’s literally the stupidest thing as they are identical. So it is strategic in the long game to try and get a 2022.

Plus, having such a car, when asked what year, you will be reminded less of EDD and pandemic memories. At least, that's what I tell myself, as I have missed out on a '21....

It seems Tesla has figured out out to avoid soap costs and paint swirls, by parking the new cars on a nice grassy lot:

Or, maybe it was just the recent rain

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I just got pushed back another 5 days to Estimated Delivery: November 07 - November 21. Model year means nothing to me since I keep my cars a long time. I am keeping my 2014 P85 with 111,600 miles. If you trade often, it makes more of a big deal with other car manufacturers. When I got my 85, I waited just as long. When it was to come, it sat somewhere with a problem. At pickup, every car had AP1 but one, mine. I got what I paid for, the others got extra stuff.

Called my service center and they say my car is arriving there today. He says they take over 24 hours to inspect incoming Model S's so my delivery date is still set for this Friday. I guess that long inspection is a good sign.

I wish I could to the same, talk to my SvC. They won't return calls, VM is full, or respond to anything, including the App.

Every time I think about this I get Lucid, I mean livid thoughts...

I wish I could to the same, talk to my SvC. They won't return calls, VM is full, or respond to anything, including the App.

Every time I think about this I get Lucid, I mean livid thoughts...
Damn, I have not had them contact me through my order but I have called many times and someone always picks up within a ring or two. I think this Orlando service center is pretty popular so they might be well staffed.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Damn, I have not had them contact me through my order but I have called many times and someone always picks up within a ring or two. I think this Orlando service center is pretty popular so they might be well staffed.
When I went there last Friday to get my car, there was no receptionist and nobody greeted me. There was also no car. I wasted two hours to be told there was a hold on my car. Someone could have saved me the three hour round trip, by checking on my car before scheduling my delivery appointment, but they didn’t. I don’t believe it gets a thorough inspection.

I hope your delivery goes better than mine. There were other happy people that were taking delivery, just not me.

When I went there last Friday to get my car, there was no receptionist and nobody greeted me. There was also no car. I wasted two hours to be told there was a hold on my car. Someone could have saved me the three hour round trip, by checking on my car before scheduling my delivery appointment, but they didn’t. I don’t believe it gets a thorough inspection.

I hope your delivery goes better than mine. There were other happy people that were taking delivery, just not me.
@Ormond Sadly, the same can be reported here in the Seattle area. I think Tesla SCs are just slammed with deliveries and everything is rushed to make those deliveries.

Oh man that's too bad, I hope I don't have to deal with that. What ended up happening after?

Called my service center and they say my car is arriving there today. He says they take over 24 hours to inspect incoming Model S's so my delivery date is still set for this Friday. I guess that long inspection is a good sign.
whats crazy is they take 24hrs to inspect.

Then customer arrives and often finds multiple defects in under 3 minutes.