Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So unfortunately I park in a parking garage but just rented out a spot near a normal wall outlet. I'll charge overnight slowly with the mobile charger but will need an extension to reach easily.

Does this cable look appropriate?

10 Foot Lighted Outdoor Extension Cord - 12/3 SJTW Heavy Duty Yellow Extension Cable with 3 Prong Grounded Plug for Safety, 15 AMP - Great for Garden and Major Appliances https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZMW2QX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KP0PK8WYY9ZD6N4ZR7JK

12 gauge 15Amp seems like it's safe to me.

So unfortunately I park in a parking garage but just rented out a spot near a normal wall outlet. I'll charge overnight slowly with the mobile charger but will need an extension to reach easily.

10 Foot Lighted Outdoor Extension Cord - 12/3 SJTW Heavy Duty Yellow Extension Cable with 3 Prong Grounded Plug for Safety, 15 AMP - Great for Garden and Major Appliances https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZMW2QX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KP0PK8WYY9ZD6N4ZR7JK

I remember some posts about this from years ago. I think you want to 1) avoid extension cords if at all possible 2) if not, bump up to 10 gauge or even 8 gauge. I am not an expert but my recollection is that the rating is not intended to account for hours of high load, which is what your car will be pulling. Basically, go overkill to avoid any heat dissipation issues.

I am sure someone else on here IS an expert, so I defer to them, but wanted you to see this before making a purchase!

I remember some posts about this from years ago. I think you want to 1) avoid extension cords if at all possible 2) if not, bump up to 10 gauge or even 8 gauge. I am not an expert but my recollection is that the rating is not intended to account for hours of high load, which is what your car will be pulling. Basically, go overkill to avoid any heat dissipation issues.

I am sure someone else on here IS an expert, so I defer to them, but wanted you to see this before making a purchase!
Thanks! From eyeballing it I might be able to avoid the extension but I'll look into the beefiest I can find.

Edit: found the same cable in 10 gauge so I'm going with that

Last edited:
So, How does Tidal sound? Does Tesla allow you to stream lossless? If not, what quality can you stream via Tidal?
I saw a note that HD playlists can be "downloaded" to the car over Wifi. If they don't allow HD streaming via TIDAL, it's pretty useless imo. That's pretty much the only reason it exists - and the only people I know who have it are service members who get the 50% off discount.

I saw a note that HD playlists can be "downloaded" to the car over Wifi. If they don't allow HD streaming via TIDAL, it's pretty useless imo. That's pretty much the only reason it exists - and the only people I know who have it are service members who get the 50% off discount.

Thanks! Waiting for someone here with 2021.40.x and Tidal to provide us more information!

Thanks! From eyeballing it I might be able to avoid the extension but I'll look into the beefiest I can find.

Edit: found the same cable in 10 gauge so I'm going with that
I bought this 100' 12G cord last year for a road trip where access was limited. I was able to get 7 mph, while parked in 2 feet of snow. But yes, I would got for a larger G cord if for long term use.

Yes, it was cosmetic. They decided to replace it.
View attachment 728005

Yes, it was cosmetic. They decided to replace it.
View attachment 728005
Did they charge you for the Yoke replacement? I was about to make an absolutely furious post about how my car is literally coming unglued, but came here first to see if anyone else is having similar yoke issues and low and behold, You did!

I submitted a service request for the image I attached and they're trying to charge me $400 to fix the problem. I've had the car for 5 weeks! 5 weeks and their trash quality control has struck me twice. Previously with a hole in a seat I found after delivery (not the intentional holes for quality butt breezes but a different one).

So to my previous question, did they charge you for the yoke replacement?

Attachments

• Yoke.jpg
    Yoke.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 76
Did they charge you for the Yoke replacement? I was about to make an absolutely furious post about how my car is literally coming unglued, but came here first to see if anyone else is having similar yoke issues and low and behold, You did!

I submitted a service request for the image I attached and they're trying to charge me $400 to fix the problem. I've had the car for 5 weeks! 5 weeks and their trash quality control has struck me twice. Previously with a hole in a seat I found after delivery (not the intentional holes for quality butt breezes but a different one).

So to my previous question, did they charge you for the yoke replacement?
The invoice with an amount is the standard way they do it and then when it is replaced, there is an invoice for $0. If you want it cleared ahead time, talk to service.

The invoice with an amount is the standard way they do it and then when it is replaced, there is an invoice for $0. If you want it cleared ahead time, talk to service.
I guess I might have reacted too soon, and I'm waiting for the response from service but when I submitted a ticket for my previous upholstery issue the invoice they gave me was $0 prior to the appointment. I guess I assumed it would always start at $0 if it was going to end at $0... My worry is delivering the car and being slapped with a $400 bill for what is beginning to look like a trend in poor yoke construction. Considering these are the first cars to have a yoke I figured Tesla would be happy to hear about issues in their new gem and equally as happy to replace them.

Does the outlet have a horizontal slot, AKA, NEMA 5-20?

If so, consider a suitable cord with 5-20, need an adapter for the car end, but should get you 4 miles of range per hour at the max allowed of 15A for a 20A receptacle.

Attachments

• 16359682682128332380611660382526.jpg
    16359682682128332380611660382526.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 67
I guess I might have reacted too soon, and I'm waiting for the response from service but when I submitted a ticket for my previous upholstery issue the invoice they gave me was $0 prior to the appointment. I guess I assumed it would always start at $0 if it was going to end at $0... My worry is delivering the car and being slapped with a $400 bill for what is beginning to look like a trend in poor yoke construction. Considering these are the first cars to have a yoke I figured Tesla would be happy to hear about issues in their new gem and equally as happy to replace them.
Your guess is right. Even folks with other "in-warranty" work (as far as I recall) would also get an invoice for the part(s) and labor. And then once the work is confirmed as in-warranty, the final invoice is $0.

Does kind of suck that you agree to the price before they tell you if it is in- or out-of-warranty. But I have also heard stories of people who do not even agree to the invoice and the work is still completed.

All-in-all, odd process. But I feel pretty confident you are going to see a $0 invoice when the work is completed.

When I went there last Friday to get my car, there was no receptionist and nobody greeted me. There was also no car. I wasted two hours to be told there was a hold on my car. Someone could have saved me the three hour round trip, by checking on my car before scheduling my delivery appointment, but they didn’t. I don’t believe it gets a thorough inspection.

I hope your delivery goes better than mine. There were other happy people that were taking delivery, just not me.
that sucks. Not to be a troll/jerk, but truthfully, before the 90 minute drive, might have been a good idea to call in advance. Not saying they're right, but AM saying if you called (and were able to reach a live monkey) you might have saved 90 minutes of driving. Might have been 120 minutes on hold, but I can't control that....
My SC is 45 minutes away. I'd be annoyed if I wasted a trip as well. You have encouraged me to reach out ahead of time. If they ever, you know, get my car.