Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can imagine maybe they had production problems, and they're in the "we'll get around to it" category - and either actually fix them, maybe make them fleet cars, etc. or else maybe cannibalize if it is determined not worth fixing. I can't imagine what would put them in the "not worth fixing" category - but similarly, I can't imagine why they'd keep a car there for months if they could possibly pull some parts from the assembly line and swap out. there has to be more to it. my pocket theory is maybe they use certain chips or controllers or parts and they're waiting for them to come in, but yet again, i have to imagine the computer is maybe a few thousand dollars, so swap out with a current one, and then use the "bastard lot computer" in a new car when the chips come in.

We can agree the customer service (or lack thereof) is atrocious, but this is NOT a stupid company, far from it, so there must be some sort of sensible reason why those cars have been there so long.

I can't detect the reason, but there has to be one. There just has to be!

I agree, there has the be a single reason that affects those cars.

Here is speculation fueled by a tip from a five time Tesla owner including an October Plaid.

A welding robot had problems welding the blind welds on the bus bars to the modules in the packs. The cells are fine, but the welds are incomplete in some cases.

You can imagine it would take time to prep new packs and do the replacement. Every pack replaced is one less new car off the line...

new white bits
🤣
L0M5.gif

Last edited:
Drove just over 200 mi. today and returned home with 100 mi. left on the battery...was about 90% highway miles (and I was probably averaging a little > 70mph), so yes, the 300 mi. hwy range has been independently verified. 21" Signature wheels/oem Michelin PS4 tires. I'm happy! 👍 :D

Please be aware that the highway EPA range is much less than EPA combined for the Plaid with 21's. Perhaps as much as 20% less.

And, said consumption is for a speed less than 70mph.

I'd say 300 miles range is pretty good. Still better than a Taycant at the same speed.

Everyone on this thread knows how atrocious Tesla‘s communication/information is. But let me contrast that with Mercedes.

We ordered an EQS in the summer for my wife. We were told it might be two years before delivery.

About a month ago we were told the car was in production.

Today we were told the car is ready for shipment. When the car is shipped it will be about 3 weeks before it will be delivered.

We will be informed when the car is shipped.

it looks like Mercedes under promised and will over deliver. We have been informed on status all along the way. Why can’t Tesla do the same?

I still love my MS. But I’m still puzzled that a company that builds a great car is so damn bad on the business side.

Interesting. Full disclosure, I have been tempted by other cars such as the EQS. Not because I like them, but because EDD is driving me to Teslainsanity.

I was told there would be no EQS showroom models in LA until February.

Last edited:
I figured it is like the launch of the refresh back in January - they need to purge all old stock before they can release the 2022. If they make it too easy to get a 2022, nobody will buy the already built 2021's. I hate to say it, but nobody wants 2021plaid.
They purged in late September. Sold off all of the showroom test drive cars. 3/Y

Looking for some advice for folks who have been down this road before... We ordered a LR in July, RN:153 MSM/Black/19s no FSD. Our current EDD is November 6-15, which shrank from November 2-15 yesterday. No VIN. We're trying to avoid unnecessary hard checks on our credit, so I don't have a loan set up for the car yet. My worry is that I'll secure a loan, get checked, then the S won't show up for some ungodly amount of time and I'll have to take another hard check on my credit. Should I wait for a VIN to set-up the loan? Or is my account sitting without lender information harming my chances of actually getting matched with a VIN? Tesla tells me I'm fine to go ahead and get a loan I'll def have a car within 30 days, buttttttt...... I also think the nice guy in the call center just wanted me off the phone, lol.
I waited til I got a vin this time. Loans turn pretty quick.

Looking for some advice for folks who have been down this road before... We ordered a LR in July, RN:153 MSM/Black/19s no FSD. Our current EDD is November 6-15, which shrank from November 2-15 yesterday. No VIN. We're trying to avoid unnecessary hard checks on our credit, so I don't have a loan set up for the car yet. My worry is that I'll secure a loan, get checked, then the S won't show up for some ungodly amount of time and I'll have to take another hard check on my credit. Should I wait for a VIN to set-up the loan? Or is my account sitting without lender information harming my chances of actually getting matched with a VIN? Tesla tells me I'm fine to go ahead and get a loan I'll def have a car within 30 days, buttttttt...... I also think the nice guy in the call center just wanted me off the phone, lol.
May just be urban myth but it seems that the best way to go is have your purchase setup as a cash. Once the car is actually in transit (make certain) then change the purchase to loan. If you already setup as a loan just contact Tesla and have them switch it.

BTW This is what I did and it worked great.

So since my telsasanity is rapidly fading, I built another as I often do. most MS configurations were June, but build a white with black interior and day hi to October. WTF? Meanwhile, white and cream interiors were June, and other black interiors were June.
this seems to lend credibility that these are made in some batch sequence. Not sure why white with black was so dreaded, maybe it’s temporary.

I have a EDD of March right now with a RN1157, I was trying to choose whatever would have the highest chance of quick delivery! Figured white/black/19 was the fastest… maybe not now haha

Amateurs… 407 days later and my delivery begins in 13 hours. Can’t get over how painful this has been. I would like to think that in someway I have grown as a human and it will make me a better person having lived through the torment of Tesla. Glad I don’t have a Roadster order in the queue, my head probably explode
Elon knows that Canadians are an exceedingly patient people.

Amateurs… 407 days later and my delivery begins in 13 hours. Can’t get over how painful this has been. I would like to think that in someway I have grown as a human and it will make me a better person having lived through the torment of Tesla. Glad I don’t have a Roadster order in the queue, my head probably explode

Yeah,but that is only like 284 US days.

Interesting. Full disclosure, I have been tempted by other cars such as the EQS. Not because I like them, but because EDD is driving me to Teslainsanity.

I was told there would be no EQS showroom models in LA until February.
Test sat the EQS at US Open. They’re a good looking car on the inside for people who like Benz interiors (all those buttons). Screen across dash done nicely. But exterior look / design turns me off and then there’s efficiency/range, power, SuC network etc.