Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RN1150 Plaid Black/White/CF/19”. Ordered in May.
Yeah, similar old dates here of 11/28 - 12/18, and got EDD bumped today too to 12/17 - 12/31. Seems a lot of us are seeing EDD delays this AM. Sucks but its prob just going to keep getting worse. The chip shortage is resurfacing along with supplies of just about everything else as well. CA ports are sucking big time right now due to Federal/CA state policies making them back up, etc. For example, CA prohibiting diesel engine trucks from picking up in the state, etc. causes delays on components headed everywhere, including Freemont.

So while I try to grasp the last few straws of my sanity, i thought i'd ask for advice, please.
my neighbor told me about a guy he knows, does the PPF in your garage, and has done a few of his cars before. great job. anyway, about $3,500 (which is a lot better than the $6k or so quoted otherwise in my area)
here come the questions:
ceramic for i think $800 - yay nor nay? I presently wash my benz at a local brushless wash, and i'm fine with it. yeah, some swirl marks, it's only a car.
i can take the S through the wash and be fine in my mind. not sure what happens with PPF. If i drop the $800 or so on ceramic, supposedly i can just hit it with a hose and call it a day.
then i was thinking of tinting. i presume if i do, i want ceramic tint, or something else? i'd like heat rejecting. NJ doesn't allow a windshield or front window tint (my benz was very dark from the factory, no issues) though a cop buddy told me they CAN use the tint as probable cause IF they want to pull you over. I've also read tint can be an excuse for them to downgrade and give you a ticket for that versus say, speeding.
I was thinking 70% or even 50% for windshield, and i don't remember what he did for his front and rear windows
lastly, that roof - anyone use heat rejection for the roof? when i test drove the 3 and Y in May the sun was strong and it was brutally hot -which did improve as i drove (i guess the wind helped cool, and i dropped the AC way down). if i get caught in stop and go NY traffic, i don't want to bake.
thanks for any advice!

Lol I do think it will be the first MS to live in Hobart, Ive never noticed anot

And I believe the increase will most likely drop it to 2.5 seconds.

If they don't do this, I'll simply add some flame decals to get that extra speed.
I remember back in the 60's we just put chrome lug nuts on the car. Good for an extra 15 mph top end and another second in the 1/4. As most performance cars already have chrome lug nuts (or a reasonable facsimile) you now need either flames or a big "wang"?

So while I try to grasp the last few straws of my sanity, i thought i'd ask for advice, please.
my neighbor told me about a guy he knows, does the PPF in your garage, and has done a few of his cars before. great job. anyway, about $3,500 (which is a lot better than the $6k or so quoted otherwise in my area)
here come the questions:
ceramic for i think $800 - yay nor nay? I presently wash my benz at a local brushless wash, and i'm fine with it. yeah, some swirl marks, it's only a car.
i can take the S through the wash and be fine in my mind. not sure what happens with PPF. If i drop the $800 or so on ceramic, supposedly i can just hit it with a hose and call it a day.
then i was thinking of tinting. i presume if i do, i want ceramic tint, or something else? i'd like heat rejecting. NJ doesn't allow a windshield or front window tint (my benz was very dark from the factory, no issues) though a cop buddy told me they CAN use the tint as probable cause IF they want to pull you over. I've also read tint can be an excuse for them to downgrade and give you a ticket for that versus say, speeding.
I was thinking 70% or even 50% for windshield, and i don't remember what he did for his front and rear windows
lastly, that roof - anyone use heat rejection for the roof? when i test drove the 3 and Y in May the sun was strong and it was brutally hot -which did improve as i drove (i guess the wind helped cool, and i dropped the AC way down). if i get caught in stop and go NY traffic, i don't want to bake.
thanks for any advice!
There is a wealth of experience and opinion on these topics in the PPF thread.
Post in thread 'Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info'
Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info

I would not go darker than 70% on windshield. I’m considering 80%. I don’t think roof needs more heat rejection but you can add later.
I will do ceramic myself. Have done on four cars…easy.

We currently cannot have custom plates in Rhode Island thanks to a Tesla owner.

He made the custom plate FKGAS, and someone complained. The DMV tried to get it back...and he successfully sued them for violating his freedom of speech. He argued it meant "Fake Gas". Since the DMV lost, they have suspended issuing any new custom plates until they can sort out rules they can enforce.

I've been waiting for almost a year now to have them lift the ban.
Illinois took away my "BYE GAS X" license plate requiring all EVs to have EL plates so that they can jack up our registration fees and not let any EVs through the crack of paying the additional higher registration fees.

My EDD updated this morning from Dec 19-31 (where it has been for the past month) to Feb 01 - Mar 01... I'm hoping this is just the "Feb Glitch" coming back into play (The tendency to have the EDD jump to Feb right before having a VIN assigned). If not, oh well, I'll be assured a 2022 VIN with a few more updates perhaps. Maybe I should cave and just jump on one of the available Plaids... Decisions!
Has this happened to anyone receiving a VIN recently? I feel like I haven't heard too many experiencing that recently, or just aren't reporting it. I hope for your sake it is the case! I'm frantically checking my EDD and just happy to see it not get shoved out 2 months at this point.

here come the questions:
thanks for any advice!
PPF is personal decision. $3500 for an entire care (assuming its done right) is a good "deal" only as it relates to market pricing for PPF.
I personally have owned cars for many years/100k miles plus. And ended up 95% of the time selling them privately for the top of "private sale" price of KBB or higher. Those cars had no PPF.

I also wonder how easily PPF will come off after being on a car for many years, exposed to UV, etc. I hope it all comes off of all surfaces (especially plastic bumpers) without peeling off a single piece of paint with it..

As far as ceramic, whats your goal? I wash my cars by hand usually once a week (when weather is nice) and once a month I apply a spray on wax and hand buff for max gloss. Doing this keeps water beading small and tight and paint glossy. Once a year I'll break out the buffer and do a decontaminate process (spray on stuff) and then apply a one step cleaner wax. Easy, cheap, simple, effective. So no ceramic needed for me.

Oh, I can almost bet that it wont be as low as $2k to get an accel boost on an S. I'd guess starting would be $5k min. And it wont be released until Taycan comes out with version that beats current plaid. Then BOOM. Software upgrade option pops up
Very true, after writing that I did think to myself that they'd never price it as low as 2k for the Model S, makes more sense for M3.