Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no clue what your intention here is. But sounds like you are taking one step forward (2FA) and two steps back (weak passwords).

I really think you are overly concerned with locking yourself out of your car. Carrying a valet key in your wallet and or have one on your spouse / significant other and forget about it. I am not sure this concern with leaving a valet key, money and your social security number in the locked glove box as a thank you is necessary.

But you do you. My two cents.
thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.
My actual intention? I guess bleed off the nervous energy getting of the Tesla delivery roller coaster via this therapy group, followed by best practices - whether folks have had experiences or suggest 2fa or not.
I have only once been locked out of my car, when I locked my keys in the trunk for a charity bike ride, but otherwise i'm trying to prepare so it can't happen, and it is not likely to happen anyway.
i'm also exploring modifying the key card, but that is a whole other level of neurotic.
In general, are folks here using and recommending 2fa?
thanks a bunch!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
@EndlessPlaid little early morning gush...did you see that it's very possible that Tesla is actually the #1 luxury auto company in the US for 2021? Since they do not break out their sales by country the analysts possibly overestimated the China totals and underestimated the US totals. This means that through November Tesla was only about 15,000 units behind BMW. With Tesla's EOQ surge it is very possible that Tesla made up the difference in December.

It was in Automotive News today and I found it very interesting...if someone had said 2-3 years ago Tesla would be even close to the #1 luxury auto manufacturer in the US, I would have laughed at them.
without trying to be a troll, i think we can agree the roadster, X and S are luxury. Would we consider a 3 or Y to be luxury?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Hey guys...am I crazy or does this car have matrix headlights now? This is the stock image when you load tesla.com and scroll down 1 car to the model S.
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 11.18.59 AM.png

thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.
My actual intention? I guess bleed off the nervous energy getting of the Tesla delivery roller coaster via this therapy group, followed by best practices - whether folks have had experiences or suggest 2fa or not.
I have only once been locked out of my car, when I locked my keys in the trunk for a charity bike ride, but otherwise i'm trying to prepare so it can't happen, and it is not likely to happen anyway.
i'm also exploring modifying the key card, but that is a whole other level of neurotic.
In general, are folks here using and recommending 2fa?
thanks a bunch!

You can create ‘access’ accounts for other users for your car. It’s tied to an email address.
  • I have a few
    • One I use for third party apps.
    • I also access my father’s car via my account this way. Great to have to unlock for him if needed.
    • This can be for single or multiple car access.
  • If you then turn on MFA, the user would sign in and you would get a ping in your MFA device with a code.
    • Provide the code, and then they are in.
    • Once ‘used’, change the pw or delete that access email.
  • Keeps your master account safe and gives you some freedom regarding secondary access.
One more way:
  • You can generate one time use passwords (10 at a time).
  • issue here is you have to provide your account email.
  • I store the 10 in my password manager app.
  • You can generate 10 new ones anytime
This is all done via your account on Tesla site.

Also, highly recommend you get a password manager app like 1Password that works across all your devices.

Last edited:
If someone needs financial advice especially when purchasing a home, they should reach out to their loan advisor, Not a bunch of Rando’s on a Tesla form. FYI don’t you dare apply for a car loan until after closing.

Uh, what? Haven't we proven ourselves as infallible with accurate information? I have based all my life decisions on what this forum states... I will have to agree with you on Rando - he has been full of *sugar* almost every time.

without trying to be a troll, i think we can agree the roadster, X and S are luxury. Would we consider a 3 or Y to be luxury?
I would say they roadster, X, and S are truly luxury but barely. I would say the 3 & y are priced like luxury cars and compete with them but are not actually luxury cars. They lack things that can be found on pretty much all competing cars in their price range which for me means they cant be considered luxury. Insane to me that for 60k for a sub-compact suv the model y doesn't offer ventilated seats.

Even the S & X are missing features I would expect on competing cars, HUD, massaging/anti-fatigue seats, APPLE CAR PLAY?!. etc

You can create ‘access’ accounts for other users for your car. It’s tied to an email address.
  • I have a few
    • One I use for third party apps.
    • I also access my father’s car via my account this way. Great to have to unlock for him if needed.
    • This can be for single or multiple car access.
  • If you then turn on MFA, the user would sign in and you would get a ping in your MFA device with a code.
    • Provide the code, and then they are in.
    • Once ‘used’, change the pw or delete that access email.
  • Keeps your master account safe and gives you some freedom regarding secondary access.
One more way:
  • You can generate one time use passwords (10 at a time).
  • issue here is you have to provide your account email.
  • I store the 10 in my password manager app.
  • You can generate 10 new ones anytime
This is all done via your account on Tesla site.

Also, highly recommend you get a password manager app like 1Password that works across all your devices.
many thanks, still not sure which direction to go in. i did copy the 10 passwords to dropbox. i do use a password manager, out of necessity - site A won't accept unusual characters; site B REQUIRES unusual characters.
i also have my cc's in there securely - it's faster for me to copy the cc number and paste than it is for me to pull out a card and type it in.

i'm trying to envision a near apocalyptic event - phone won't connect (dead, lost) and no wallet.
it DID happen to friends of mine at a water park - they had to get an uber somehow to get home, got their spare keys, were able to ping their phone, went in a huff to that person's house --- and they supposedly had an identical bag and didn't realize they took our friends'. it doesn't quite add up to me, but at the end of the day, that is my nightmare.
i DO generally take both sets of keys of my or my wife's ICE if we're going far, and i woudln't want to have to somehow get home, get the spare set of keys, and pick up the car.
I have also had a valet lose (okay, he went home) with my key, and at 2 a.m. i needed a lift home and then back to my car with the spare key, and the valet brought the key the next morning with his apologies.
so, it's rare, but can happen.
the key card is a boon. i'm just wondering what extra layer of protection i can have, if say my wife's beach bag is lost/stolen and it has my phone, keys, etc. in it.

minor data points here:
1) my neighbor's 2 month plaid is still dead - needs a new rear motor drive assembly - should be installed in a couple of days (being shipped from Fremont i believe)
2) another buddy with an S has 21" summer tires. was getting either all season or winter, now he's not bothering. he felt something was rubbing, brought it to the SC, and today learned it is "common" for the arachnid in the cold weather. WTF? is the tire rubbing against the frame?
someone did post on one of these threads showing wear seemingly on the interior of the tire if i recall - might have been exterior. I'm trying to imagine if the tire was wider from lower air pressure (cold air) or maybe the frame is sitting lower on the air suspension or whatever, that turning the wheel would cause it to rub.
Not cool stuff.

I agree with you on the headlights. I haven't had any problems with them so far driving at night after about 700 miles.
I think I missed something. Why all the talk about refreshed headlights and taillights for our refreshed Teslas? I never thought about the headlights and taillights which I thought were fine but now I have FOMO and am not as happy. I thought my worries were over after I finally got the car and it has been fine so far (knock on wood). Now . . . This forum is great!

minor data points here:
1) my neighbor's 2 month plaid is still dead - needs a new rear motor drive assembly - should be installed in a couple of days (being shipped from Fremont i believe)
2) another buddy with an S has 21" summer tires. was getting either all season or winter, now he's not bothering. he felt something was rubbing, brought it to the SC, and today learned it is "common" for the arachnid in the cold weather. WTF? is the tire rubbing against the frame?
someone did post on one of these threads showing wear seemingly on the interior of the tire if i recall - might have been exterior. I'm trying to imagine if the tire was wider from lower air pressure (cold air) or maybe the frame is sitting lower on the air suspension or whatever, that turning the wheel would cause it to rub.
Not cool stuff.
For (2) My C7 Z06 used to have a ackermann effect with a full turn in the winter time with the summer tires which were the last gen pilot super sports. Used to feel like it was skipping or rubbing when making a turn at low speeds but in the manual pointed out it was normal. Im guessing it might be similar in this case?

minor data points here:
Not cool stuff.
tires aren't rubbing on frame...they're popping on the asphalt when moving slowly with wheel turned.

I would say they roadster, X, and S are truly luxury but barely. I would say the 3 & y are priced like luxury cars and compete with them but are not actually luxury cars. They lack things that can be found on pretty much all competing cars in their price range which for me means they cant be considered luxury. Insane to me that for 60k for a sub-compact suv the model y doesn't offer ventilated seats.

Even the S & X are missing features I would expect on competing cars, HUD, massaging/anti-fatigue seats, APPLE CAR PLAY?!. etc
My loaded 2018 SQ5 did not have ventilated seats either, because I chose the Napa leather option. I think they fixed that just recently but I did consider Audi luxury and could not get those seats in any upper level version