Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, interesting indeed.

I purchased it by accident at about 0400h as I thought it was a 2022, then I saw the VIN (and Model Year) and figured out that I REALLY shouldn't be buying cars at 0400h. Immediately opened a chat window with Tesla and they said they'd take care of it via email.

Fortunately, Tesla and I had some text traffic a few hours later and they took care of it--by switching to a 2022 order (with different specs) for delivery around mid-year (maybe?).

Who, in their right mind, would pay full 2022 MSRP for a 2021 MS that very likely sat in the Misfit Toys Lot of Broken MS's for almost ten months?!?

Answer: some poor schmuck that doesn't visit this thread. (Or someone looking at EV-TSLA.com at 0400h and not paying attention to the details.)

Maybe someone who has suffered too much from EDD?

I honestly believe the SA"s when they say they dont have any info/knowledge of tail lights/headlights, etc. I mean this IS the same company that was delivering new cars with blank USB slots for delivery, and told the SA's NOTHING about it. Like there were literal electronics and a feature intentionally missing from $100k+ cars, and the sales persons nor the customers were told ANYTHING and knew nothing about it until the customers went to stick their USB cords into blank spaces. 😅😅

I asked my rep about putting vehicle on hold or rejecting a VIN so I can try and get the new headlights and taillights. He told me to wait until I have a VIN at which point he can tell if it has new hardware and if it doesn’t I can reject it. That being said he knows nothing about the new headlights and taillights so it felt a bit like a canned answer
That also sounds exactly what they would tell SA's to say if they already had the new lights on all new cars and didn't want to announce it yet.

Have we heard of any deliveries of any cars produced after 1/1? Seems to me that the Quarter-end rush to get out all existing inventory was followed a a mini-shutdown to load the new light assemblies into the line.

Found out today that my new house build is going to be completed late February/March.

My Tesla is scheduled to be ready for delivery January 18 - February 15. MS LR white/white/21”

I can’t take delivery of the vehicle before my home loan as it would blow up my debt ratio. Praying for some delays as I’d hate to lose my reservation. There’s about a $12000 difference from when I ordered to now. Anyone know a good method to get Tesla to delay a delivery?
Or another way I can take delivery without it hitting my credit report before I close on the house?
maybe give them a horse manure story that you'll be out of the country, etc. (wait until your vin tightens first though) - i think you can put on hold for 30 days which may work well for you - your EDD may also get bumped out anyway.

It shouldn’t matter once your home loan is credit approved. Presumably that’s well before you close.
I respectfully disagree. As I recall, you get a credit pull when you apply, and another one right before closing. I have a friend who is a mortgage guy, and one of the meme's he posted on Fb was about a guy who get a .5% cheaper interest rate credit card during a home loan and it killed his mortgage.
I think the home buyer needs to push the car way back. nobody wants to lose $12k, but losing the house would likely be worse. Another option might have to be, if losing the $12k discount on the car, maybe lease (after the mortgage is in place) or else maybe finance at that point.

I respectfully disagree. As I recall, you get a credit pull when you apply, and another one right before closing. I have a friend who is a mortgage guy, and one of the meme's he posted on Fb was about a guy who get a .5% cheaper interest rate credit card during a home loan and it killed his mortgage.
I think the home buyer needs to push the car way back. nobody wants to lose $12k, but losing the house would likely be worse. Another option might have to be, if losing the $12k discount on the car, maybe lease (after the mortgage is in place) or else maybe finance at that point.
And maybe there is good reason that debt to income ratios exist - so people don't spend beyond their means.

I honestly believe the SA"s when they say they dont have any info/knowledge of tail lights/headlights, etc. I mean this IS the same company that was delivering new cars with blank USB slots for delivery, and told the SA's NOTHING about it. Like there were literal electronics and a feature intentionally missing from $100k+ cars, and the sales persons nor the customers were told ANYTHING and knew nothing about it until the customers went to stick their USB cords into blank spaces. 😅😅
I completely agree. I have read about the SAs that make up the facts, get it all wrong, etc. - EVERY SA I have dealt with has been honest as far as i can tell - my main guy (when they still had main guys) would tell me he has very little more info than I do. the guy is an enthusiast, and a gusher, but being an enthusiast, I have no doubt he would tell me whatever he could -- he just didn't have extra info, and had shown me his screen.
I've seen spoken with I think 4 SA's since my December VIN - and I think they were each as forthright as their data screens allowed.
yes, all calls are recorded.
I believe the SA i originally dealt with would absolutely say if he knew, "just be careful, some of these are coming without USB-C's and we'll call you when they're ready for install" - i have no doubt he wouldn't just let it slide. Now, on the first delivery like that, he would have been blindsided, but not after being alerted.
I also think Tesla is VERY tightlipped (don't believe me, ask their PR department) so unless they broadly tell their SAs something, they're just not going to have inside info.
I spoke to one SA who asked me about my experience driving my neighbor's plaid - she'd never been in an S, and wanted my opinions.
I think that's how these folks, many who are working from home, are getting their datapoints.
okay, end of rant.

I completely agree. I have read about the SAs that make up the facts, get it all wrong, etc. - EVERY SA I have dealt with has been honest as far as i can tell - my main guy (when they still had main guys) would tell me he has very little more info than I do. the guy is an enthusiast, and a gusher, but being an enthusiast, I have no doubt he would tell me whatever he could -- he just didn't have extra info, and had shown me his screen.
I've seen spoken with I think 4 SA's since my December VIN - and I think they were each as forthright as their data screens allowed.
yes, all calls are recorded.
I believe the SA i originally dealt with would absolutely say if he knew, "just be careful, some of these are coming without USB-C's and we'll call you when they're ready for install" - i have no doubt he wouldn't just let it slide. Now, on the first delivery like that, he would have been blindsided, but not after being alerted.
I also think Tesla is VERY tightlipped (don't believe me, ask their PR department) so unless they broadly tell their SAs something, they're just not going to have inside info.
I spoke to one SA who asked me about my experience driving my neighbor's plaid - she'd never been in an S, and wanted my opinions.
I think that's how these folks, many who are working from home, are getting their datapoints.
okay, end of rant.
Ive said it a couple times....but if Tesla were to hire away one of the top customer experience persons away from say, Amazon or Nordstrom or Ritz Carlton? And empower said person to do their job without fear of retribution from Elon? WHAT a company Tesla could potentially be..

So, of interest to possibly nobody but me, I decided to make my Tesla account password easier to remember - the idea being if i ever lock myself out, lose my phone, and aliens land, perhaps some kind soul would install the tesla app on their phone and unlock my car for me. I plan to leave $20 as thank you money in the locked glove box, along with a valet key.
I also just enabled 2fa, and what a pain in the arse that was.
that also has me question, if I have 2fa, can I install the app on someone else's phone, and they just can't otherwise modify my account like on the web?
i may kill the 2fa.
and yeah, if i instlal on someone's phone, i need them to delete in short order
anybody ever get locked out and need to do this? thanks!

So, of interest to possibly nobody but me, I decided to make my Tesla account password easier to remember - the idea being if i ever lock myself out, lose my phone, and aliens land, perhaps some kind soul would install the tesla app on their phone and unlock my car for me. I plan to leave $20 as thank you money in the locked glove box, along with a valet key.
that also has me question, if I have 2fa, can I install the app on someone else's phone, and they just can't otherwise modify my account like on the web?
i may kill the 2fa.
Don't do it. Not a good idea. Making your car that much less secure. How about all these password generator apps which will also store all your passwords and in my case autofill? You just have to remember one master password. They're not themselves foolproof but much safer if using the top rated ones. Additionally Tesla will unlock your car remotely as will many other manufacturers.

If someone needs financial advice especially when purchasing a home, they should reach out to their loan advisor, Not a bunch of Rando’s on a Tesla form. FYI don’t you dare apply for a car loan until after closing.

i may kill the 2fa.
I have no clue what your intention here is. But sounds like you are taking one step forward (2FA) and two steps back (weak passwords).

I really think you are overly concerned with locking yourself out of your car. Carrying a valet key in your wallet and or have one on your spouse / significant other and forget about it. I am not sure this concern with leaving a valet key, money and your social security number in the locked glove box as a thank you is necessary.

But you do you. My two cents.

Ive said it a couple times....but if Tesla were to hire away one of the top customer experience persons away from say, Amazon or Nordstrom or Ritz Carlton? And empower said person to do their job without fear of retribution from Elon? WHAT a company Tesla could potentially be..
yeah, they'll have to squeak by with their paltry trillion....

Don't do it. Not a good idea. Making your car that much less secure. How about all these password generator apps which will also store all your passwords and in my case autofill? You just have to remember one master password. They're not themselves foolproof but much safer if using the top rated ones. Additionally Tesla will unlock your car remotely as will many other manufacturers.
thank you - so is your suggestion no 2fa?
i like the IDEA of 2fa. i don't like the execution of it.
thanks!

Right. The OLD headlights are $1200 each BTW.

It's highly likely the wiring is different and programming too.

Aftermarket, that's funny too, who mentioned it. This isn't 1980.

I'm hoping they already cut over so they don't kill their own sales.
True, but headlight retrofits are quite popular. (just not with Teslas as much as others..but still..)

Ok I'm done with the click baiting. Some of you folks are clearly just making up ideas and bringing them up here to stay active or maybe to increase TMC visibility and/or thread counts. Whatever it is, it's now defeating the whole idea of sharing. How about feeding your neurosis with those who care? Of course I could be accused of click baiting with this post but whatever...

@EndlessPlaid little early morning gush...did you see that it's very possible that Tesla is actually the #1 luxury auto company in the US for 2021? Since they do not break out their sales by country the analysts possibly overestimated the China totals and underestimated the US totals. This means that through November Tesla was only about 15,000 units behind BMW. With Tesla's EOQ surge it is very possible that Tesla made up the difference in December.

It was in Automotive News today and I found it very interesting...if someone had said 2-3 years ago Tesla would be even close to the #1 luxury auto manufacturer in the US, I would have laughed at them.