Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a new MYP for a loaner while my new S was being serviced.

I was really impressed with it. Fast, easy in/out, good space, and handled like a go-kart. However, the two big things keeping me from considering a Y: no driver's display an no air suspension. Other than that a great vehicle. Will consider this for my wife if she is okay without those two items.
I saw a video yesterday, i think from CF, where it said carplay - he added a screen - had to disassemble his either 3 or Y (i don't remember which) fairly heavily to get to the canbus) but the display looked fantastic = digital analog looking gauges for speedometer and odometer, and more. i dont' nkow cost, i'd guess $1,000 - okay found it - $669 to $758 if you buy the blind spot camera. i didn't watch the whole video, but looked great.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
What are y’all doing for 21” all season tires aftermarket? A buddy picked up an inventory car with summers :)
I did the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 setup. They have OEM front size (265/35/21) and 295/35/21 (instead of 30) rears. I'm a fan - was unexpectedly driving in a snowstorm the other day and they were fantastic. M+S rated. No issues with the slightly increased diameter.

Last edited:
I've had several different delivery windows over the last several weeks, but this is the shortest/nearest one yet (6 days), so maybe I'm getting a car soon? I hope this one 'sticks' because I like the appraisal for my 2017 S 100D trade-in and that appraisal expires soon.

Now I need to search the forum for the most comprehensive, contemporary delivery checklist. I'm sure this delivery date is too soon for any of the new 'goodies' that have been rumored, but I already rejected one VIN earlier so I don't want to have my order canceled.

One of the pre-delivery tasks is to provide proof of insurance with the VIN. Since I don't have a delivery date yet, surely they don't expect me to insure the car before it arrives... it only takes a couple of minutes to change cars with my insurance company so I planned to do that on delivery day. I'm a little concerned by their language; "Complete your tasks to avoid delays in delivery"

View attachment 756499
i've uploaded my insurance twice. i told my broker the EDD start date, and i got a temporary card with that, and entered in the system. then it started complaining "expiring soon" since it was only for 60 days. now this hypothetical car is on my account, i have my "permanent" insurance card, and i'll get a few dollars back from the insurance company when i let them know actual start date. wasn't that big a deal, i suggest you do it.

Hi all,
I saw someone above asking for a more updated delivery checklist (if there is one) - the big one is I think 9/3/21 and I asked on that thread if there is a newer one. I'm thinking missing mats, trunk cover pieces, and charger pieces.
Other question - i know this is personal taste, but are most folks in winter states putting in rubbery car mats, or going "au natural?" - i generally don't use mats other than carpeted and plan on ceramic spray anyway.
we do get snow, ice, mud, and rock salt, but even regular carpet doesn't seem to get destroyed, but i'm interested in thoughts, i saw a motor trend set on amazon for like $70 i liked, and I have nervous pre-delivery energy - thought i'm not wild about the look or feel in general, i see the benefit.
i appreciate any thoughts or advice, thanks!

I did the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4s. They have OEM front size (265/35/21) and 295/35/21 (instead of 30) rears. I'm a fan - was unexpectedly driving in a snowstorm the other day and they were fantastic. M+S rated. No issues with the slightly increased diameter.
Excellent. No rubbing against that suspension wire in the rears?

I did the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4s. They have OEM front size (265/35/21) and 295/35/21 (instead of 30) rears. I'm a fan - was unexpectedly driving in a snowstorm the other day and they were fantastic. M+S rated. No issues with the slightly increased diameter.
This is good to know. I was planning on going with the Conti DWS 06+ since I'm a big fan of them. Course, they don't have OEM sizes for either end, so I need to get 265/40/21 and 295/35/21. It's comforting that at least the backs will not have an issue for sure, and gives me confidence that the front should be the same. A friend of mine ran the plus-up sidewall sizes of the DWS06+ on his Model 3 P with zero issues, so I figured they'd be fine, but just wasn't sure if the air suspension on fully lowered setting might have changed the story. It's only about 0.5" larger radius on both, so given how conservative stock setups usually are I didn't anticipate any problems. The speedo situation doesn't bother me.

This is good to know. I was planning on going with the Conti DWS 06+ since I'm a big fan of them. Course, they don't have OEM sizes for either end, so I need to get 265/40/21 and 295/35/21. It's comforting that at least the backs will not have an issue for sure, and gives me confidence that the front should be the same. A friend of mine ran the plus-up sidewall sizes of the DWS06+ on his Model 3 P with zero issues, so I figured they'd be fine, but just wasn't sure if the air suspension on fully lowered setting might have changed the story. It's only about 0.5" larger radius on both, so given how conservative stock setups usually are I didn't anticipate any problems. The speedo situation doesn't bother me.
The front has the upper control arm sitting on top of the tire. I’d be careful with the front!

The front has the upper control arm sitting on top of the tire. I’d be careful with the front!
Do you know what the clearance is with suspension fully lowered? Thanks for pointing this out. I would have thought the control arm would have potentially contacted a wider tire, but not a taller one. I'm accustomed to the upper control arm being at the height of the wheel or possibly the inner edge of the tire circumference (where it meets the wheel)

Hi all,
I saw someone above asking for a more updated delivery checklist (if there is one) - the big one is I think 9/3/21 and I asked on that thread if there is a newer one. I'm thinking missing mats, trunk cover pieces, and charger pieces.
Other question - i know this is personal taste, but are most folks in winter states putting in rubbery car mats, or going "au natural?" - i generally don't use mats other than carpeted and plan on ceramic spray anyway.
we do get snow, ice, mud, and rock salt, but even regular carpet doesn't seem to get destroyed, but i'm interested in thoughts, i saw a motor trend set on amazon for like $70 i liked, and I have nervous pre-delivery energy - thought i'm not wild about the look or feel in general, i see the benefit.
i appreciate any thoughts or advice, thanks!
I bought the Tesla all season mats from the Tesla store. I was worried that the road salt would ruin the carpet mats. So far, so good.

Just got pushed out two more months.
MS BLUE/black 21’s
Was dec15-31, then Jan 16-Feb 13. This morning went March 15-31.

Steve
my theory - the december 2 weeks was wishful with them for end of year, the one month jan-feb was a more realistic place holder, and the "ides of march" 2 weeker seems to me to be more realistic - i wouldn't be suprised if you get your VIN within that EDD.
that also tells me they are stopping blue production for a bit, maybe hit the white or other colors that were lagging.
I'm supposed to pick up friday, and super excited, and i'm also thinking back to my annoyance with all the EDDs and i'm thinking that was wasted energy on my part.
just saying.

Excellent. No rubbing against that suspension wire in the rears?
Fortunately, no issues. I run low all the time and haven't had any rubbing issues. I am generally pretty cautious to put into medium or high around speed bumps/my angled driveway, but fortunately haven't heard or dealt with any rub.

Also, fortunately my suspension wire was installed out of the way so no rub on the wires.

my theory - the december 2 weeks was wishful with them for end of year, the one month jan-feb was a more realistic place holder, and the "ides of march" 2 weeker seems to me to be more realistic - i wouldn't be suprised if you get your VIN within that EDD.
that also tells me they are stopping blue production for a bit, maybe hit the white or other colors that were lagging.
I'm supposed to pick up friday, and super excited, and i'm also thinking back to my annoyance with all the EDDs and i'm thinking that was wasted energy on my part.
just saying.
Saw a couple other posts indicating EDD windows slipping to end of March also. Curious because most have either delayed to early Feb or straight to the end of March. The 3-4 week gap in EDDs makes me suspect this might be the downtime for the retooling for new head/taillights. Pure speculation though.

I saw a video yesterday, i think from CF, where it said carplay - he added a screen - had to disassemble his either 3 or Y (i don't remember which) fairly heavily to get to the canbus) but the display looked fantastic = digital analog looking gauges for speedometer and odometer, and more. i dont' nkow cost, i'd guess $1,000 - okay found it - $669 to $758 if you buy the blind spot camera. i didn't watch the whole video, but looked great.

Thanks. Way too much work and way too much potential to introduce issues. That would be like trying to add a tilting screen where it was not designed (I do not mean originally designed but rather originally designed and advertised and then taken back after ordering).

What are y’all doing for 21” all season tires aftermarket? A buddy picked up an inventory car with summers :)

Until the Pilot 4 A/S comes out to match the 21 size, I went with 20 square set-up in that tire. Really like the set-up but will go back to the 21" when the 295/30r21 is available in A/S.

Thanks. Way too much work and way too much potential to introduce issues. That would be like trying to add a tilting screen where it was not designed (I do not mean originally designed but rather originally designed and advertised and then taken back after ordering).
i would get this, but i'm way too fat to do the upside down go under the dash thing. the kit is about $700, my back surgery would be thousands!

These are garbage. They block airflow from the Driver's vent in a major way. Many returns based on this. Also, voids warranty as you have to splice into main harness. Do your research - BEFORE BUYING!

Saw a couple other posts indicating EDD windows slipping to end of March also. Curious because most have either delayed to early Feb or straight to the end of March. The 3-4 week gap in EDDs makes me suspect this might be the downtime for the retooling for new head/taillights. Pure speculation though.
It could also be them producing Model S for export to regions like Asia.

Yes, I would not go with a taller tire in front as the clearance between the stock tire and that control arm is very tight (less than an inch).

Attachments

• IMG_3524.jpg
    IMG_3524.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 73
Do you know what the clearance is with suspension fully lowered? Thanks for pointing this out. I would have thought the control arm would have potentially contacted a wider tire, but not a taller one. I'm accustomed to the upper control arm being at the height of the wheel or possibly the inner edge of the tire circumference (where it meets the wheel)
That’s mine. Barely .25” diameter increase space. And control arm doesn’t change with suspension lowering

Attachments

• 397A9520-E3AF-4C68-91E0-53BF0EC6DF43.jpeg
    397A9520-E3AF-4C68-91E0-53BF0EC6DF43.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 63