Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wrote a long retort but decided screw it. All I can summarize to say is, Teslas are the most fun to drive cars to own, when they work. But they are also often unreliable and have very suspect build quality.

My Tesla was very reliable to drive, but was not built well with good parts. Tesla customer surveys don't lie for both the good (highest satisfaction) and bad (second lowest reliability). That's the Tesla conundrum.

There are loads of pros and cons for buying an EV from another company, the answer isn't as clear as you think that's all I'm saying here. I know because I have owned cars from both.

I love Tesla, but I also hate Tesla. Probably Stockholm Syndrome tbh.
I agree with this viewpoint. My M3P had been one of the best cars I've ever owned (out of a list of more than 14 including multiple BMW M3s and Audis - I turn over cars too much), and was instrumental in chasing my views on EVs. That said, what Tesla has done with empty promises they have never made good on (my $6k FSD for my M3 that never materialized and I will not get any credit for in a trade in), their pricing inconsistency, and their buying process being a massive pile of 💩 I've been forced to slog through all have me very conflicted.

I'm looking to replace my wife's aging SUV and need something with three rows. I really want to buy electric given that she owns cars for 5-6 years at least, and the cost benefit will be significant. I intended to get her a model Y when the time came, but the pricing right now is just ludicrous. With tax I'm looking at around $67k with no options other than a third row for a MYLR, and that's insane for what you get, imo. Luckily, competition is coming.

I was referring to the Y and 3 being fixed in regards to the heat pump. That appears to have been addressed.

My comment on having options was simply to question why you would want a Tesla after reading many of your posts showing you are disenfranchised with the brand? But you‘ve clarified that you have others on order and you’ll go with what arrives. I hope whatever you do go with meets your expectations. I would be surprised if you were able to enjoy a trouble free vehicle, regardless of brand. But that’s just my own experience creeping into my commentary. I’m yet to find a brand that has no issues, and I have tried my fair share. By issues I’m including issues that should be easily fixed or would be considered not acceptable to have failed to begin with.

I guess I just don’t understand why someone would believe the leader of the company is dishonest, the quality of the vehicles is subpar, and the service dept incompetent, yet purchase (another) one. Again, regardless of what you end up with I hope it meets your expectations.

My Plaid has not spent weeks in the shop, so you can count me in the other category. It’s not been perfect, it needed the console door fixed. And I’ve been slow on
updates at times. 13,500 miles.

My Y, other than the original heater issue, has been perfect. That took 3 days to repair, a timeline I find acceptable. They gave us an S as a loaner. 15,000 miles.

My previous ‘21 pre-refresh LR, no issues at 10,000 miLes.

For me personally, Tesla has been one of the more reliable brands I’ve experienced.
Zero issues with my MYP; the Plaid..... Well.....

I'm looking to replace my wife's aging SUV and need something with three rows. I really want to buy electric given that she owns cars for 5-6 years at least, and the cost benefit will be significant. I intended to get her a model Y when the time came, but the pricing right now is just ludicrous. With tax I'm looking at around $67k with no options other than a third row for a MYLR, and that's insane for what you get, imo.Luckily, competition is coming.
Sold wife’s X. Getting a MYP. Curious, can you elaborate on the viable alternatives?

You're MYP is 3 months old, it better not have any issues! 😆

BTW - I'm considering a Y, do you have a quick pros/cons between the two (obviously, I dont care about acceleration differences) but from a driving perspective otherwise?
I love driving the MYP; I drive it more than the Plaid, actually....

tempImage8Uw3lx.png
I replaced the 21" Ubers with 19" Gemini all seasons. Rides very comfortably, and has the "P" pep! Great hatch/cargo area. I also modified mine with a Tesla core yoke and custom wood (I purchased the wood trim from Tesla and refinished to my liking. Looking to pick up a utility trailer for it as well (got the $1000 hitch option - well worth it)!

IMG_0428.jpeg

@Tigers

I love driving the MYP; I drive it more than the Plaid, actually....View attachment 756293 I replaced the 21" Ubers with 19" Gemini all seasons. Rides very comfortably, and has the "P" pep! Great hatch/cargo area. I also modified mine with a Tesla core yoke and custom wood (I purchased the wood trim from Tesla and refinished to my liking. Looking to pick up a utility trailer for it as well (got the $1000 hitch option - well worth it)!

Damn, nice! I thought I was the only one who actually liked the yoke. 😂😂😂

The newer Model Ys and 3s are pretty quiet in the cabin too, aren't they?

I am strongly considering a Texas-made Model Y, but know that I am probably 12+ months from getting one. It is sort of a choice between: Model S (I can get one right now if I want it), a Model 3 (easier to sell, less babying and probably more reliable), Texas-made Model Y, or one of a slew of other cars, but I think the dealers are screwing people on them.

My thought process is: let's hear what ole' Elon has to say on the earnings call next week and let's see how the Model Y gets pumped out of Texas. If the Model S makes some improvements over the next 30-60 days, I may get that. I think the shortages last all year long in 2022, so not holding faith that dealers will stop screwin people.

I agree with this viewpoint. My M3P had been one of the best cars I've ever owned (out of a list of more than 14 including multiple BMW M3s and Audis - I turn over cars too much), and was instrumental in chasing my views on EVs. That said, what Tesla has done with empty promises they have never made good on (my $6k FSD for my M3 that never materialized and I will not get any credit for in a trade in), their pricing inconsistency, and their buying process being a massive pile of 💩 I've been forced to slog through all have me very conflicted.

I'm looking to replace my wife's aging SUV and need something with three rows. I really want to buy electric given that she owns cars for 5-6 years at least, and the cost benefit will be significant. I intended to get her a model Y when the time came, but the pricing right now is just ludicrous. With tax I'm looking at around $67k with no options other than a third row for a MYLR, and that's insane for what you get, imo. Luckily, competition is coming.
Well, whatever you do, please be SURE to get an EV.

If you can't swing the cost/benefits of the Model Y, a car that gets better every few weeks, and wish to get a cheaper EV (that will likely cost more in TCO), feel free to do so.

But here's the reality: Tesla is NOT perfect, because what "perfect" is varies in the eye of the beholder. We put up with "issues" over the ten or eleven Teslas we have owned because the success of Tesla helps secure our only planet's future. With every other brand, every EV they sell just gives them more credits to sell their GHG-spewing ICE garbage . . . mull that over for a bit. To be blunt: those brands need to be 100% EV, or they need to die, the sooner the better.

In the end, what matters most is what kind of planet we leave future generations. Buying a Tesla helps make this planet more likely to be livable for them.

What could be more important that that?

Seriously, what?

Thanks.

Well, whatever you do, please be SURE to get an EV.

If you can't swing the cost/benefits of the Model Y, a car that gets better every few weeks, and wish to get a cheaper EV (that will likely cost more in TCO), feel free to do so.

But here's the reality: Tesla is NOT perfect, because what "perfect" is varies in the eye of the beholder. We put up with "issues" over the ten or eleven Teslas we have owned because the success of Tesla helps secure our only planet's future. With every other brand, every EV they sell just gives them more credits to sell their GHG-spewing ICE garbage . . . mull that over for a bit. To be blunt: those brands need to be 100% EV, or they need to die, the sooner the better.

In the end, what matters most is what kind of planet we leave future generations. Buying a Tesla helps make this planet more likely to be livable for them.

What could be more important that that?

Seriously, what?

Thanks.

I agree with a good chunk of this: I hate driving ICE and I want them gone ASAP. I want charging infrastructure built ASAP. I want consumer choice for quality EVs. I don't agree that buying anything other than a Tesla EV means nothing. I think most companies, except our friends in Japan realize they better get their ass on it and I firmly believe they will stick with that.

It does make me laugh that the only real OEMs with any type of electric/battery tech were our friends from Japan and they absolutely refuse to do EVs lol. They are just like GM/Ford....giving up their dominant position because they are too stubborn.

Last edited:
The Y is not god awful, or even close to so. The vehicle heats and cools as expected and no strange smells. The Y has 15,000 miles and has experienced a variety of weather.

My Plaid also does not have any odd smells and heats/cools as expected.

I think I saw the Canadian agency had 16 reported issues. Or maybe that was in the US, I don’t recall. But it sounds like it’s a fairly small amount of vehicles that have issues.
HA. On our local Facebook group, a few weeks ago there was 15 reports of heating failures in 3/Y heat pump cars in a single day. This is a massive issue for folks that live in areas where temps drop below 20F.

Last edited:
Wifes Y purchased Dec of 2020 now has over 17k miles. Has not been back to the SC nor has had a mobile visit for service of any kind. Literally has been flawless during the 12 month/17k mile journey thus far. Got the accel boost for a weekend to test it out last summer. She refused to let me give it back. Could feel and hear the difference. And she isnt a performance type driver whatsoever (had a RX350 before this). But with the Y? She's convinced shes never going back to gas (and why would she? I pay the electric bill for the house, I installed the Nema 14-50 at my cost. So all she has to do is plug in at night when she pulls into the garage) and as of now, has zero interest in any other vehicle except a Tesla.

Im also never going back to gas, but hope the competition can do more to catch up faster. As it stands, when we factor in supercharging network, acceleration, technology, range, and overall price point....I struggled to even realistically consider anything other than the S. I mean, Taycan, Etron and Lucid are great...but to get the same level of performance, range, etc as the refresh S LR would have cost me a FORTUNE more with another brand of EV..

Last edited:
Your MYP is 3 months old, it better not have any issues! 😆

BTW - I'm considering a Y, do you have a quick pros/cons between the two (obviously, I dont care about acceleration differences) but from a driving perspective otherwise?

Had a new MYP for a loaner while my new S was being serviced.

I was really impressed with it. Fast, easy in/out, good space, and handled like a go-kart. However, the two big things keeping me from considering a Y: no driver's display an no air suspension. Other than that a great vehicle. Will consider this for my wife if she is okay without those two items.

I was really impressed with it. Fast, easy in/out, good space, and handled like a go-kart. However, the two big things keeping me from considering a Y: no driver's display an no air suspension. Other than that a great vehicle. Will consider this for my wife if she is okay without those two items.
My daughter's family is selling their X and getting a three row Y. Gull wing doors were too much fun for the kids to play with.

I've had a two week delivery window for the past month. Every time I get to the start of the window, it moves a few days forward. Kind of like getting to the finish line and they keep moving it.
This was my pattern, too. My 2-ish week window moved out 4-5 times -- then, boom: VIN + call saying "car's here" within 24 hours. Not unusual for California.

Well, more in the sense of a bit further out than I suspect you're thinking. BMW iX is looking very tempting, and they're are more Audi EVs on the horizon too. The fact that other manufacturers still get the tax credit is really a massive advantage.
The MYP is a better value than the iX, and yes there are Audi EV's on the horizon but not soon except for the Audi version of the ID.4.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

That’s where we’re at too. We have a S LR on order for me (Feb delivery) and a Y LR on order for her (Mar-Apr delivery).

The MYP is a better value than the iX,
With current pricing and credits, I don't agree. BMW offers a lot that Tesla doesn't in terms of overall experience, and the tax credit on BMW side brings the price down to around $75k for the iX. Compared to the current pricing of the MYLR in the $61.5-66k range even without 7 seat option (depending on wheels and colors), I feel the extra you get with the BMW is justified.

Where the MYLR pricing was a year ago I would have jumped in a second, but now... A nearly 20% price hike in a single year for no additional features is just crazy. Can't fault Tesla though - they can't build the things fast enough. Still, I feel the current price is building in an assumed re-up of the tax credit, and who knows if that'll actually materialize.