Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technically they haven't ever changed the policy on an existing order. It is clearly written out in the order agreement how long you have to take delivery. What they have changed is them no longer allowing you to delay past what the order agreement allows. (Which differs depending on when you placed the order.)
thank-you-the-office.gif

• Funny
Reactions: uthatcher
Actually, it is. Way more. The reason? When the customer places the order, they agree to a price and timing for the car that is currently advertised.
SO, if they "miss out" on the changes, they are getting EXACTLY what they agreed to buy, and if they get the new changes, then they are benefiting from that.
For example, no one on this forum has paid for the new lights on Model S. They haven't been advertised yet. We are not supposed to know about those changes. Just because we know they're coming doesn't mean that any money has gone to that yet. So if you take delivery of a Model S with the old lights the day before the new ones come out, you can't complain, as you got exactly what was agreed upon.
My only issue is that it isn't really advertised. You dont know what you are getting. You can place an order right now and gamble you get new features that may or not be rolling out. Like with MY right now some people got AMD chips a few weeks ago and now intel chips are being delivered. So if you ordered after AMD chips started being delivered, you would expect the new chip but now you get the old one and told to pound sand? Doesn't sit right with me.

My only issue is that it isn't really advertised. You dont know what you are getting. You can place an order right now and gamble you get new features that may or not be rolling out. Like with MY right now some people got AMD chips a few weeks ago and now intel chips are being delivered. So if you ordered after AMD chips started being delivered, you would expect the new chip but now you get the old one and told to pound sand? Doesn't sit right with me.
But it still is not advertised. The 10 teraflops for Model S is. So the day that Model Y and 3 say that on their pages too, it's advertised. Until then, it's a gamble. Similar to how Bioweapon defense mode on Model Y was. I'm not sure how that's a bad thing.

Reactions: AvengerBB
Technically they haven't ever changed the policy on an existing order. It is clearly written out in the order agreement how long you have to take delivery. What they have changed is them no longer allowing you to delay past what the order agreement allows. (Which differs depending on when you placed the order.)

Got it - thanks for that. I looked at my Model S order, as my Model 3 order agreement isnt available anymore. I see there it says "3 months". Therefore a) Tesla employees dont know their own *sugar* and b) my Model 3 order was cancelled in violation of their own policy. Now I have some calling to do.

But it still is not advertised. The 10 teraflops for Model S is. So the day that Model Y and 3 say that on their pages too, it's advertised. Until then, it's a gamble. Similar to how Bioweapon defense mode on Model Y was. I'm not sure how that's a bad thing.
So it would sit right with you if your friend ordered a model Y yesterday and got AMD and you ordered today and got intel? Totally fine no complaints not bothered a bit?

Got it - thanks for that. I looked at my Model S order, as my Model 3 order agreement isnt available anymore. I see there it says "3 months". Therefore a) Tesla employees dont know their own *sugar* and b) my Model 3 order was cancelled in violation of their own policy. Now I have some calling to do.
Remember, it may be different for both the orders. Do you maybe have the order agreement in your email? I would check that first.😃

• Love
Reactions: Tigers
So it would sit right with you if your friend ordered a model Y yesterday and got AMD and you ordered today and got intel? Totally fine no complaints not bothered a bit?
As I've said, a family member of mine took delivery of a new Model 3, and it has Intel. That's fine! The changes haven't fully been rolled out yet. They will be completed by Q2 of this year. So until then, it's a roll of the dice. So no, I wouldn't be bothered. It's purely chance. I would be pissed if they advertised it at the time of order and delivery, and the car didn't have it. That would suck. But only then, and they put measures in place to insure that doesn't happen, such as waiting 2 weeks after beginning to build it to advertise it.

• Funny
Reactions: Tigers
Depending on when you placed the order there are basically two versions I have seen:
  • Old version allows you 3 months after the first time they assign you a VIN, no overall time limit.
  • New version allows you 90 days from your order date, other than if it is Tesla causing the delay, or 30 days past when they assign you the first VIN.
But yes, they have cancelled orders in violation of the order agreement.

Depending on when you placed the order there are basically two versions I have seen:
  • Old version allows you 3 months after the first time they assign you a VIN, no overall time limit.
  • New version allows you 90 days from your order date, other than if it is Tesla causing the delay, or 30 days past when they assign you the first VIN.
But yes, they have cancelled orders in violation of the order agreement.

I just looked at 3 order agreements (one from 2019) and you are correct:

From 2019: No policy stated
From Model S (Jan 2021): 3 months from VIN
From Model 3 (Mid-Oct-ish): 30 days from VIN.

Amazing. Point A) Tesla's own people have no clue - this policy is not stated publicly and you only know after you order. AKA, chicken with its head axed off.

Alright, I guess I'm getting a Model S (or Nissan Versa) this month.

Last edited:
I just looked at 3 order agreements (one from 2019) and you are correct:

From 2019: No policy stated
From Model S (Jan 2021): 3 months from VIN
From Model 3 (Mid-Oct-ish): 30 days from VIN.

Amazing. Point A) Tesla's own people have no clue - this policy is not stated publicly and you only know after you order. AKA, chicken with its head axed off.

Alright, I guess I'm getting a Model S (or Nissan Versa) this month.
For clarity, once a vin is assigned, order agreement allows a hold, but no greater than 30 days?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee. Alternatively, Tesla may give you the option to reconfigure your Vehicle at the current pricing.
I looked in the order agreement from an order placed in 10/2021, and it shows 90 days from PLACING your order, not from VIN availability... considering the wait time is pretty universally above that across the board, they don't have to give any extra leeway according to the agreement.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I looked in the order agreement from an order placed in 10/2021, and it shows 90 days from PLACING your order, not from VIN availability... considering the wait time is pretty universally above that across the board, they don't have to give any extra leeway according to the agreement.

What mine says:

"For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within three (3) months of our first attempt to
notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."

"Notify you" meaning "VIN"

this policy is not stated publicly and you only know after you order.
A link to the order agreement is on the page before you place an order.

I looked in the order agreement from an order placed in 10/2021, and it shows 90 days from PLACING your order, not from VIN availability
It actually has both in it, in different sections.