Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to diminish your experience but I think there's a learning curve for the Tesla blind spot monitoring. I'd also activate the warning tones and learn to drive using those and not so much the visual if in fact you think you can't quickly glance at the screen. l find the tones for all sorts of warnings very useful. Theoretically I think glancing at the screen is probably as good or as bad as glancing at your door mirror. But then again I cannot compare to mirror systems as I have never driven a car with equipped with mirror blind spot monitoring.
I appreciate the perspective. I will dig through the menus to make sure I have those on. I don't think I've run into a situation where they would have gone off yet, but I think warning tones would probably be sufficient.

With that said, I would push back a bit on the statement that glancing at the screen is equivalent to glancing at the mirror. I always check the mirrors before moving over, a little indicator light on the mirror noting that a car is in the blind spot is an easy warning that is part of the normal process of changing lanes. Also, your head isn't looking down so you maintain more awareness of your periphery.

With the screen, its a very different story. While it may sound trivial, the video feed shows up at the bottom of the 17" display, so I don't find it to be a natural part of the lane change process. You really have to take your eyes off the road at what can be a "complicated" part of driving.

Its also worth noting that my normal commute has me merging then changing lanes across a 3 lane highway within a few hundred feet, so I may just be more sensitive to this than others. Getting up to speed now is much easier though :)

Blind spot detection?
My 2014 BMW 328D will set off a flash in the mirror and vibrate the wheel, even if you are looking ahead you can see it! Easy to do Tesla!
This. I dont need to SEE and ASSESS whats in the blind spot. I simply need to know SOMETHING is there.

Sometimes Tesla overcomplicates things needlessly. (Ie, inability to activate horn via airbag. Thats not progress. Thats not "hi tech". Thats..stupid)

Good to hear about the lights with your experience. I must say with my Y, I dislike how autopilot constantly puts the lights into high-beams. So I look forward to getting matrix lights or hopefully even the existing adaptive lights can be tweaked based on the new approved NHTSA headlight rule yesterday.
Yeah that looks very cool for the Y. With my admittedly limited experience on the S's auto high beams, I would say they strongly favored the low beams and only kicked to high when the circumstances were ideal.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I haven't driven mine long enough to form an opinion, but I watched a Ryan Shaw YouTube review where he pointed out that if you're changing lanes to the left, looking at the main touchscreen is in the opposite direction. He suggested a better implementation would have the camera feed in the instrument panel in front of you instead.
That would definitely be a better solution, even placing it at the top of the 17" screen would be better and more in the general line of sight.

The video feed placement is very awkward at the bottom of the screen.

The horn thing is so incredibly dumb. Maybe it can auto honk for me....
That HAD to have been an Elon decision. Had to have been. And why am I 100% positive engineers disagreed with him/said to "sure, add horn activation with the little button, but also LEAVE it via airbag as well". And said engineers were either ignored, fired, or both.

Reactions: howdidIgethere
The horn thing is so incredibly dumb. Maybe it can auto honk for me....
I have not been in a refresh S yet and so I do not know about where the horn thing is but agreed that it does sound retrogressive. That said, I must be in a minority as I, in fact almost never use the horn. I can't remember the last time I did. I occasionally get the urge to which is almost always because I think I should let another driver know they were being a jerk. Honestly I don't think that's the intended use of the horn and in my case I'm always afraid if I did use it in such a manner my target may have worse road rage than me and hurt me. So almost never horn. Now, new headlights I'm all in but that new rear is not exactly appealing. So just assign my S already, TESLA!!!

I have not been in a refresh S yet and so I do not know about where the horn thing is but agreed that it does sound retrogressive. That said, I must be in a minority as I, in fact almost never use the horn. I can't remember the last time I did. I occasionally get the urge to which is almost always because I think I should let another driver know they were being a jerk. Honestly I don't think that's the intended use of the horn and in my case I'm always afraid if I did use it in such a manner my target may have worse road rage than me and hurt me. So almost never horn. Now, new headlights I'm all in but that new rear is not exactly appealing. So just assign my S already, TESLA!!!
I agree the horn is the biggest miss in an otherwise amazing car. Not that huge of a deal, just annoying. I learned the turn signals quickly because I use them every day, but the horn takes some time because I don't often use it, when I do though it's rarely in anger and more for the original intention, to alert someone else who's doing something they're not aware of that could cause an accident.

I could conceivably see Tesla being compelled to put a standard horn back there, but I wouldn't put money on it. There would need to be a significant amount of accidents provably caused by inability to sound the horn, and that's a big ask.

I haven't driven mine long enough to form an opinion, but I watched a Ryan Shaw YouTube review where he pointed out that if you're changing lanes to the left, looking at the main touchscreen is in the opposite direction. He suggested a better implementation would have the camera feed in the instrument panel in front of you instead.
I actually cant believe this isn't how they implemented it?? I hadn't seen any videos of this feature so I just assumed it was in the instrument cluster like every other mfg who has a similar feature. What kind of idiot would put it on the center screen when an instrument cluster exists? (i know the answer is that they just don't care to develop software for the s/x, but it still bugs me).

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I actually cant believe this isn't how they implemented it?? I hadn't seen any videos of this feature so I just assumed it was in the instrument cluster like every other mfg who has a similar feature. What kind of idiot would put it on the center screen when an instrument cluster exists? (i know the answer is that they just don't care to develop software for the s/x, but it still bugs me).
IDK call me old fashioned, but I just use the mirrors to see to the side of me. I have no blind spots in the S, but the Y's mirrors are a little stubbier and more difficult to adjust to eliminate blind spots.

I had the pop-up sideview camera cam on when it first came out and honestly found it distracting so I shut it off.

Green did a mockup of the video feed on the instrument cluster. It is not perfect, but clearly doable.

The little popup screen on the middle display is worthless. I have it there, but rarely use it. See my post above about using my eyes to check my blindspot.

I agree the horn is the biggest miss in an otherwise amazing car. Not that huge of a deal, just annoying. I learned the turn signals quickly because I use them every day, but the horn takes some time because I don't often use it, when I do though it's rarely in anger and more for the original intention, to alert someone else who's doing something they're not aware of that could cause an accident.

I could conceivably see Tesla being compelled to put a standard horn back there, but I wouldn't put money on it. There would need to be a significant amount of accidents provably caused by inability to sound the horn, and that's a big ask.
Agreed! I don’t use the horn often, but when another vehicle almost ran me off the road, my instinct (and years of muscle memory) was to strIke the middle of the yoke. If you are using the horn just to get someone’s attention, the button works fine, but in an emergency you need something bigger than a small button on the right side of the yoke. I believe this is a huge safety issue.

Ordered Jan 29th 2022.

Original EDD was June - July. Then April. Then Feb 23-March 7. Now April 18- may 16

RN1164
MSLR MSM/white
21"
No FSD

Chicago

I fully expect my EDD to change back to June. But I still check the app every few hours lol.
I’ve had the same experience (see my post). I have a VIN just days after the EDD was pushed back 2 months!