Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordering a plaid today nets you a June/July EDD, so you’re safe unless Tesla tries to push another’s reject on you - and that could just as likely happen five days from now, as it could tomorrow. Waiting until one minute before the clock strikes midnight on the 13th, and risking your significantly discounted price, seems foolish to me. YOMV.
I agree…. If they had matching inventory cars to your spec, they would likely come up on the search page for new inventory on the model s order page. I too am in the same situation having to confirm by the 12th and will likely confirm on Friday 11th to be sure it is confirmed a few days early.

I agree…. If they had matching inventory cars to your spec, they would likely come up on the search page for new inventory on the model s order page. I too am in the same situation having to confirm by the 12th and will likely confirm on Friday 11th to be sure it is confirmed a few days early.
Literally in the same boat. I'm getting antsy and want to release the hold tomorrow but am debating whether I should just wait a week to be as sure as possible I'll get the new stuff. I've waited 9+ months and somehow don't have the patience to wait another week.
The answers to these problems depend on how much you two want the new lights. If you are (on a scale of 1 to 10) like a 7/10 to a 10/10, and really want the lights, then waiting longer is unquestionably the best option IMO. If it is less on your priority list, then things may change. :)

Thanks for the quick reply @EndlessPlaid . Much appreciated!! Yes, that makes total sense to wait as long as possible. I am just kinda worried if they would match locally with someones rejected "older" MS LR, but I guess we can only hope. I will keep you all posted!!

BTW, I am Team Black Appliqué!!! Thanks for your keen eyes!!! :D
I am in a similar situation, but I removed the hold at the beginning of this month. I want the new headlights for sure, but if I am assigned an old one, I will still take it given the $17K discount I received. I don't want to jeopardize my order.

For when to release your hold, I agree that if you wait longer, it is less likely to get an old one. However, since the difference is only a few days, it is more by luck. For example, let's assume someone was assigned an old VIN, scheduled to be delivered next Friday, and will reject it. For this case, if you get a VIN by Friday, you are safe. If you get a VIN after Friday, it is hard to tell.

I wonder whether how long to wait depends on the delivery location.
For example, if you live farther away from Fremont, you should wait longer because the current VINs assigned/available were shipped 2 weeks ago, so they have old lights. In contrast, if you live in the neighborhood of Fremont, probably the inventory was already exhausted.

Ordering a plaid today nets you a June/July EDD, so you’re safe unless Tesla tries to push another’s reject on you - and that could just as likely happen five days from now, as it could tomorrow. Waiting until one minute before the clock strikes midnight on the 13th, and risking your significantly discounted price, seems foolish to me. YOMV.
cant hold order again per the email . Agree too risky to wait till last minute .

cant hold order again per the email . Agree too risky to wait till last minute .
If your order is for LR, I feel it is more likely to get the order canceled than getting the old headlight if you remove the hold too late.

IMO, Tesla should put the rejected cars into inventory instead of assigning them to existing orders under this circumstance. If someone wants a car immediately and does not care about the lights, they can just call in to match or put an order.

We have a "demo" Model S Plaid here in MN with 58 miles on it. Showroom only, no test drives allowed.
It's a 2021 that sat in inventory for over a month before becoming a "demo" (placed into the showroom).

I'm not sure if there is anything wrong with it or what its story is. My guess is no one wants a 2021 for MSRP, and that MSM + Cream is probably the least popular color combo.
Sorry, MSM + cream is the only way to go! It’s a demo because its the best marketing package.

Last edited:
I fail to see the point of both the “T” and the T E S L A. So for me, this is a welcome change.

How else you going to know what the "T" stands for?

Good that you guys like it - do not think Tesla will change either way. Just a difference of opinion.

1646650823392.png